Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Columbus , Ohio
Installing a stove above a furnace

He All, Has anyone ever put an oven/range above a furnace? I’m reading that this can be dangerous because the furnace can suck the gas from the stove down towards it at the air intake, but I feel like this is something that you see in trailers all the time. Am I missing something?
action95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:25 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by action95 View Post
He All, Has anyone ever put an oven/range above a furnace? I’m reading that this can be dangerous because the furnace can suck the gas from the stove down towards it at the air intake, but I feel like this is something that you see in trailers all the time. Am I missing something?
Our '74 and our '93 both have the range above the furnace. I'm not sure where you read about it being dangerous. If it were, hundreds of thousands of rv's would be dangerous.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Our furnace draws combustion air from outside.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I suspect darn near all of them except the catalytic type heaters. (Which I would never choose for inside an Airstream. Let the opposing opinions fall where they may. I prefer my exhaust gases outside my living space. )
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:

There are TWO air flow systems in a furnace. 1: Combustion air. Air needed for the flame is drawn from the outside and exhausted to the outside. 2: Room air. Cooler air from the room(in this case the trailer) is drawn into the heat exchanger where it is heated and exhausted back into the room.
These two air systems are sealed off from each other.
So no matter where the stove is in relation to the furnace, the worst that could happen is, if the furnace blower (which circulates the room air) is to strong, it could suck the flame towards it. I have seen this happen in homes where the flame moves towards the range hood exhaust fan.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:55 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Indoor Return air to the furnace is near the floor in every RV I’ve had including my AS. My stove and oven are right above it. The stove and oven heat rises so the odds of this heat getting to the heater return air intake is slim and if any does make it down there it’s mixed with room air by then sufficiently to the point that risk is negligible.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:00 PM   #7
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
FWIW, propane is heavier than air and settles to the floor anyway. That is why propane detectors are located near the floor. I wouldn't be concerned because the fan only sucks air into the heat exchanger to be circulated through out the trailer. As stated already, that is separate from the combustion process.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Columbus , Ohio
Thank you for all of the responses. Just to clarify this is the warning that I read with my stove that made me start this thread. It sounds like as long as I build walls around the oven/range on all sides I should be ok. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1685.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	337325
action95 is offline   Reply With Quote