Old 05-11-2004, 05:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

How to work range hood?

Hi there I have the range hood in my 1971 23foot Safari Land Yacht. But not too sure how it really works. There is a button you push that turns the fan on, but there is a flap there that just seems to stay closed. what do I do with this, I would think for the fan to be efficient this door should be opened? Any suggestions? Thanks Dawn

Old 05-11-2004, 06:51 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
The flap should open and close. Look in the cabinet above it, and there should be a little metal ring in the center, pull the ring and a metal mesh filter should come out. No ring, probably no filter. If the is no ring, but the filter is there, you can probably push it out the top from the bottom. Mine was so glopped with crud I had to soak it overnight in a degreaser. I cleaned the vent as good as I could with the time I had weekend before last, and we had our shakedown cruise this weekend.

Shakedown is right. I was warming milk for my coffee the first morning at camp, and in the meantime I stepped outside (listen for sound and feel of slamming door). When I came back in and checked my milk there were little flecks of ...."stuff".... floaring in it. Ugh. Guess I'll be cleaning it out some more, maybe pulling it and taking it apart. I don't relish feasting on ..."stuff"...

Also, some brainiac had put open cell foam gasket material around the opening of the flap, and I had to scrape and scour with lacquer thinner to get that suff off as well because it was beginning to disintegrate too. I don't think that stuff should have been used above gas burners, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

We love our 'new' Safari in spite of it's quirks. Hope you are too.

Edit: btw, Your flap may be glopped shut with old grease. Tugging it toward yourself should open it.

Old 05-11-2004, 08:48 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

the flap opens

ok, when I look inside of it all I see is the fan at the very back, I see no filter. Does the flap have to be open though for the vent to properly work? How would one keep this flap open? Also hubby just finished working on the lights for our rig, everything is working now except the back up lights, any suggestions? Thanks again Dawn
Old 05-11-2004, 09:57 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
The flap is held open with a little magnet on my trailer, also a 1971.
I do not recall there being a filter, it just vents to the outside. I did remove the outside vent cover, and the fan and cleaned everything up. It helped remove some of the odors that the trailer had when I first bought it a few years ago.
the tow vehicle's backup lights need to be hooked up in the tow vehicle's trailer connection.
There is a hook up diagram on the Airstream site, under faq
Old 05-12-2004, 11:06 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
This basically looks like what I am talkng about:
http://doityourself.com/store/6249015.htm

It's an aluminum wire mesh grease filter, and it sounds like your POs removed it in your trailers and never replaced them. Mine is about 1/4" thick, 3" high, and 6 - 8" wide, with a 1" dia. ring on top for pulling it out.

I don't have a magnet to hold the door open, the hinge is stiff enough to keep it open. Unfortunately, it is probably stiiff because of dirt and grease build-up. Sigh.

The flap needs to be open for proper ventilation. It closes to prevent drafts - which are bad if you are trying to run the heater or air conditioner. It is very imortant to open the vent when a burner is lit, because this exhausts the carbon monoxide byproduct from using the gas burners. The fan doesn't necessarily have to be on; that is more for venting out cooking odors.

I also stumbled across a useful degreasing tips page while searching for a decent picture of a mesh filter: http://www.stretcher.com/stories/03/03apr07a.cfm
Old 05-12-2004, 02:20 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I went out and gave mine a good look and it sounds just like yours, except no filter, just a screen above the grate in the middle, which I took out and cleaned. The biggest problem I saw though is that paint is flaking off of it, and fine particles are falling down. I would like to remove it, clean the old paint off and repaint it. Has anyone removed one of these? Any tips?

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 03:53 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
...just a screen above the grate in the middle, ...
That sounds like it. I'd take a picture of mine, but this thread may be old and dusty by the time I'd get around to posting it.

As for the flaking, I'd say use a wire brush to deflake it, maybe some wet/dry sand paper, and spray paint it. Depends on how perfect you want it to look, where it's flaking, and/or how bad the flaking is. I mean, I suppose you could pull it, have it bead blasted, and send it to a powder coater, an auto painter, or something.

I say spray paint it just because you wouldn't want to have exposed bare metal to rust and flake some more, but not for aesthetic reasons. Since it is tucked up in the cabint out of sight, I wouldn't personally worry too much about how it looks as long as ..."stuff'... isn't falling into my food.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:18 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I was thinking more along the lines of pulling it out, wire brushing it, and spray painting it. I'm afraid spray painting in the trailer would be hard to control without getting it on anything else. I guess I could mask off the area though.

Here's a picture of mine with the flap open. You know, until I read this thread I never thought about what the little door flap and magnet were for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ovenhood.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	6537  

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:37 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Thanks for posting a picture. Yours looks a bit different than mine - I don't think mine has the 'grate' (for lack of a better term) on the underside. The flap and fan switch are the same. Where you can see the fan behind the flap in yours is where my mesh filter is.