Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2004, 01:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

How to light pilot on Magic Chef?

I took the first trip in my camper this past weekend. I learned a lot and had a great time.

One thing is I could not get the stove pilot lights lit. I first hooked up the new OPD valve to the new 30# propane tank. Then I went to street side of trailer and turned valve up to 45 degrees. I went inside the trailer, took off the stove top and noticed 4 burners that all led from this middle burner. I turned the knob on one of the eyes to try and light one of them and I could not hear or smell any propane. I tried several times and nothing.

Either I had the valve turned wrong on the outside on the street side ( initially, it was pointing toward the front of the trailer parralel with the ground, flat), or I didn't give it long enough to get there. Any ideas?

Also, while I was hooked up to the 30 amp power at the campground, occassionally the lights would flicker on and get dim, only if all the lights were on and the roof fans going etc. If I cut off some of them, then we did not have that problem. I had a brand new electrical converter installed about a couple of months ago. Is that normal?

Also, last thing....while I was at the state campsite, i noticed that other trailers ran a 5/8th's hose from their sewer dump things in the back to the places where the dishwater is dumped. I assume one can leave the valve open for the gray water and leave the black water tank closed and then not have to worry about filling up holding tank? I have a sewere hose 3" for the dumpstation, but where do I get an adapter where I could run that hose from the gray water?

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice that may help me.

Rob.

Rob.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:27 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Rob,

Glad to hear you had a good trip.

On the stove. The exterior valve on the gas line should be in line with the valve body or the lines. If the valve is at a 90 degree angle to the valve body or the line the gas is off. It sounds like you actually turned the gas off to the stove.

The central "eye" as you called it is the pilot for the cook top. Most of them have been turned off, but it is good to check. Once you have gas going to the stove, tested by lighting a burner, then look at the knob for the oven. There is a pilot position on this knob. With it in the pilot position you can attempt to light the stove top pilot. It may or may not light. This was often disabled to avoid the heat while camping in the summer. If you have the knob in the pilot position you also need to light the pilot in the oven. Failure to light the oven pilot will lead to a dangerous build up of LP in the oven and coach.

The flickering lights could be any number of issues, but I would bet that you were loading the 12VDC system close to it's max and the fuses, wiring were getting warm, causing the system to flicker. Or the new charger you installed was cutting out due to thermal load. Once the unit cooled down it would restart and the lights would get brighter.

At most Camping World's you can buy an adapter that allows you to use an old garden hose to drain the wash water on the ground. It clips on the sewer fitting like your standard dump hose. Please use a green or other color hose, not white. Be sure to cut off the male end of this hose so it has only one use.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote