Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
so, I've been around and around trying to get the parts for the old Magic Chef, to no avail. I mean, like calling all over the US to find the thermostat etc. Apparently there is mercury in the thermostat. After two camping trips with one functional stove burner and having to turn off the main gas to the stove each time we use it, I've broken down and will be ordering a new range this week. I met someone with a new Airstream with the Atwood range I want so I got to see it up close. Amazing how disorganized Atwood's catalog is- using the catalog number with retailers was useless, I had to make a number of calls to Atwood to find out the specific part number for the specific stove I wanted (sealed burner/stainless/pezio ignition) then the retailer had to call their supplier to see if it was available and get a price. Sheesh. The shipping is the killer.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Globie,

I ordered my Atwood range: stainless steel/sealed burners/piezo ignition(originally ordered electronic ignition but evidently no longer made)/silver control face, on 03/18/13. Still waiting. I don't know why it is so hard to get a hold of these ovens or parts. Not to mention it cost more thane a household range. Hope you get yours soon. We full-time in our stream and have not had an oven in 3 months.

~Yevette
yve79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:16 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
yve79, that's interesting. Sorry to hear about the delay, I hate it when stuff is delayed inexplicably. Atwood is easy to get through to, but the way they sell their stoves is really a mess. They're supposed to have several of what I want in stock, I guess I'll just hold my breath and take the plunge. Yikes.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Well my oven came in, but it was the wrong one!!

It looks like the problem may be on Atwoods end. When I called them today they said all the individual options for my oven were available but when he entered them it would not give him the correct part number. So as it stands, I have no oven and none on order. I really miss baking.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
yve, that's a drag. I talked to Atwood every day for a week to sort out what I could get from them, and it was amazing how difficult it was to get someone who could answer my questions. I haven't ordered it yet, but your experience has made me want to be more careful. They didn't make up a custom range for you? I look forward to baking in ours, sometime. Good luck
Old 05-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
St. Louis , Missouri
Did anyone ever have any luck with the smev products? I have been researching combination oven ranges for my resto but am having a difficult time. I've been looking at marine units from this site.
Propane / Butane Stoves & Ovens
They look nice, don't require an electrical connection which is good, but they cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions!
Noco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Funny, I was just looking at marine ranges too- the ENO looked good, and I figured for 900 bucks for an Atwood, hey, what's another 400...

ENO Gascogne Three-Burner Stove at West Marine

I'd pay a little more for what may be a substantial improvement in quality because I don't want to pay what seems like an arm and a leg for something I won't love. Remember, RV and marine ranges are pretty specialized, it's not like going to Sears and buying a 30" Kenmore range for $379, it's more like buying a Dacor for $4000.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Kingsley , Michigan
can you send pics of the old stove
dmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
dmckee, I pm'ed you about the stove.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Well I finally picked up my oven yesterday after almost 3 months from time of order and hubby installed last night. It is not exactly what I wanted but it is better than what I had before which was no oven. I really like the Piezo ignition for the burners but I have to admit I am pretty astounded that you still have to ignite the oven pilot manually with each use. Seems pretty archaic but this is the best available in this country. I found a thread on another RV site that detailed an electronic ignition modification for the oven pilot which I would like to try (if I can talk hubby into it). There is one poster who mentioned a good point. Sometimes you have to use the oven again shortly after you have finished and before it has cooled down. Can't imagine much worse than a full arm burn as you have to reach in a hot oven to relight the pilot. Price with shipping for this oven was about $1k and some change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1781276783.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	187788   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-162758779.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	438.5 KB
ID:	187789  

Name:	image-2738340672.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	478.3 KB
ID:	187790   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3671845750.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	510.4 KB
ID:	187791  

Name:	image-1178393519.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	187792  
Old 06-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
wow, nice! You mean you can't turn the oven off without completely turning off the pilot- you don't turn the knob all the way off or something? I did finally find another option, which I'm exploring after reading about your problems with Atwood. Yours looks sharp, let us know how it bakes.