Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
How do you light the oven?

Got a2006 Safari and trying to light pilot/ oven?

Other burners fine, don't think PO ever used it. A neighboring camper just stopped by and showed us where to light pilot at the bottom of oven and we had no luck lighting it. So since it's never been used could have been defective from factory.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Rich, assuming you can hear and or smell gas in the oven, are you holding in the knob in while trying to light the pilot ? Hold it in till it catches, then continue holding it for a bit until you can release the knob and the pilot stays lit, then you can light the oven.

Also, if your name is Gumbee it will help and don't forget to genuflect while facing the direction of the fire gods !

This may also be a good time to familiarize yourself and loved ones with the location and proper use of the fire extinguisher...... is that charged ?

Be careful and good luck !

T & K

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Thanks T&K,you're a genius, now I know why you get the big bucks!

The magic thing is to push and hold the knob while assuming the position with flashlight in mouth and flame in hand. Now I know why the ovens never get used.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
OK so yes it's a hassle but it's not as bad as all that.

You want to get one of those 10" long butane lighters that they sell at hardware stores and keep that in a safe but convenient location near the oven.

The lighter will give off enough light that once you've learned the landmarks you won't need the flashlight, so you just hold in the knob and light the flame. It usually isn't necessary to hold it in for very long, unless the oven hasn't been used for some weeks. I light it the first time I need the oven on any given trip and leave it on until the trip is over. If it should blow out the gas shuts off by itself.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Thanks T&K,you're a genius, now I know why you get the big bucks ! The magic thing is to push and hold the knob........
heh, heh, heh..... I feel richer and more blessed every day !
Glad things worked out for you.

You got it now..... hang onto the knob and pre-heat the pilot.

Jammer is right too..... the long fire stick is a big help and, it does get easier !
(easy for me to say now that I swapped ours out for a convection oven ! )

Have fun out there !

T & K

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Took us a couple of times before we really had a handle on lighting the oven. But after doing it a few times I think we have it down. Our biggest thing was what others have said, holding the knob down. good Luck.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
The REAL fun is lighting the pilot to the fridge. Laying on the carpet face down, depressing the red button with one finger and with the other hand and arm plastered below you, flicking that long metal deal, and peering waaaaay back in there. while your legs are extended down the hallway!
Old 11-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
The REAL fun is lighting the pilot to the fridge. Laying on the carpet face down, depressing the red button with one finger and with the other hand and arm plastered below you, flicking that long metal deal, and peering waaaaay back in there. while your legs are extended down the hallway!
That doesn't sound like fun .... and seems a good justification for getting a newer Airstream that requires no manual lighting of pilots in fridges!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I also leave mine on "pilot" when camping so I don't have to relight as often.

Before attempting to light oven, light a burner on the top (briefly to confirm it lights) to clear the gas line.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
OK so yes it's a hassle but it's not as bad as all that.

You want to get one of those 10" long butane lighters that they sell at hardware stores and keep that in a safe but convenient location near the oven.

The lighter will give off enough light that once you've learned the landmarks you won't need the flashlight, so you just hold in the knob and light the flame. It usually isn't necessary to hold it in for very long, unless the oven hasn't been used for some weeks. I light it the first time I need the oven on any given trip and leave it on until the trip is over. If it should blow out the gas shuts off by itself.
Thanks good advice.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Rich,

First you have to stand on your head.....

This isn't an easy thing to do but with a little practice it isn't as bad as it seems. Get a good butane lighter and find a position where you can see where the pilot light is located. Hold the control button in as you hold the flame by the pilot light. There is a thermocouple type of thing just above the pilot and that has to be warmed before the pilot light lights.

As I understand it, this thermocouple shuts off the gas in the event that pilot blows out. No heat, no pilot light. Keeping the pilot lit when you are planning on using the oven is a good idea.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
I was about to start one of those "defective from the factory" threads. A nice neighbor with a large SOB trailer tried to start it as he has the same stove in his. He wound up lighting his oven and cooking the Apple Crisp for us. Next time we'll be ready.