Old 04-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
The only finishes I have ever seen on a range top or oven door are porcelain, stainless steel or "brushed chrome". I would never recommend painting or powder coating these two areas because of the heat. My first suggestion would be to contact Magic Chef and see if there is any possibility of purchasing these two parts. Be sure to get the model and serial number before you call them. If a magnet sticks to these surfaces they're probably brushed chrome, sanding may improve them somewhat.
I don't think porcelain can be applied over chrome. The chrome would have to be stripped, then cover with real porcelain.
Are you sure you want to go to this much time and trouble over that old of a range? If the oven thermostat fails your probably looking at over two hundred dollars to repair. That's the best that 40 years in major appliances have taught me, I hope it helps you.

Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:43 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member
1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
Chuck, Occassionally, I have seen the old Magic Chef top included when an old stove is replaced. I myself have disposed of too many.
I have never yet seen one in an Airstream that was the brushed chrome. I have a good one in my 89 trailer now that is in excellent condition, and it is the stainless. I am in MS right now, still doing Katrina volunteer work, but should be home within a week. I have the phone number of the business just outside of BHM AL that probably has the largest inventory of NOS Airstream parts in the country. You could try them.
I'm not saying the veneer is THE solution, however, I would be open to the attempt.
Gosh, I have no idea what made my computer change fonts- I will figure it out though.

2000 390 Landyacht XL
1989 29' Excella
WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote