Old 11-23-2006, 10:49 AM   #15
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
But wait, there's more.....

The other problem you can create and will not be detected by any detector is the lack of oxygen in the trailer. I use a cat heater in my trailer and they normally do not create CO. They will deplete the oxygen in the trailer if you do not keep a vent or window open. It could cause you to become light headed and go into the big sleep.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:08 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
How do the cat heaters work? I don't understand how they can burn propane and NOT create CO.

I'm not saying having a CO detector makes it ok to use the stove to heat the trailer with. I'm just saying it's cheap insurance that can be easily added to our vintage, pre-safety devices rigs.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:31 PM   #17
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
They do not "burn" propane. Propane is ignited during the startup process to heat the catalyst. After that it is flame free, but hot. I am not a chemist, so I found this easy to understand discription.

Catalytic Propane Heaters: Catalytic heaters differ from other propane heaters in that the propane is combined with oxygen to create heat on the surface of a hot platinum catalyst, so that there is no flame. The absence of an open flame, and the relatively low temperature (the catalyst glows a faint, dull, red - visible only in the dark) increases the safety, relative to open flames. The catalytic process also results in a nearly perfect conversion of propane and oxygen into harmless carbon dioxide and water vapor, with no significant carbon monoxide produced.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Another consideration that is more economical than biological is that the oven is designed to come up to the set temperature and then cycle the burner to maintain it. Unlike the stovetop burners, the oven is not designed to run 'full bore' for hours on end. The excessive heat will eventually warp the oven floor and damage other parts of your stove which will mess with the combustion characteristics of the burner. Even wall heaters in houses, which are designed to run full on, will burn out prematurely if they are too small for the structure. A big enough heater will cycle. Too small a heater will try to run all the time. To reiterate what others have already said: The stove is designed assuming that the operator is nearby and alert, not asleep somewhere. The problem with carbon monoxide poisoning is that it makes you stupid in proportion so that you don't react in time. If you're lucky you get a severe headache as a warning, but don't bet your life on it. Oxygen depletion by complete combustion is more insidious, but lethal non the less. Always have a source of fresh air when consuming combustable fuels. Keep your gas burning appliances in good repair to aid in complete combustion. The need to remain vigilantin enclosed areas cannot be over-emphasized.
"Not all who are laundering are washed" say Bill & Heidi

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I guess I missed this thread on the first go-around. A few years ago there was a young female equestrian competitor showing her Tennessee Walking Horse during the celebration in Shelbyville, TN. She stayed overnight in the tack room of her horse trailer using a small propane cookstove for heat. She never woke up! That would be enough for me to never use an open flame oven or stove to heat with.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
You know...the bottom line here is that is it NOT a good idea to say it's OK to use an oven designed for cooking as a heat source—an any way, shape or form—EVEN if we use all the common sense available to us and include all the "special circumstances and situations" we can think of...

The danger in it is that someone—even if it's just one person reading the thread—might interpret it to mean it's a swell thing to do... Or someone who doesn't really understand the inherent dangers will read it....and you know what will happen? We'll have a dead Airstreamer on our hands.

Do NOT use your oven for heating purposes. Period.

TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Originally Posted by bobchevy89
just ask your local fire fighters if they would reccomend heating with a gas stove. it would be the same as heating with a charcoal grill. very burns up the oxygen in the vehicle. no oxygen no life.. if you are cooking , you usualy are in and out of the trailer so the air gets changed some but if heating and sleeping there is no exchange of will put you in the land of the never ending sleep. if you have a co sensor it will go off after a while. that is why some propane heaters have a low oxygen shut off on them .. I hope this will clear up some misgivings about this subject. just be safe and don't do it..I don't like funerals..
OK, a 30 year firefighter is going to weigh in. And I'm ready to get flamed. (pun intended)
I come down on the side of Chuck on this one, but only if you carefully follow his logic in the original post.
If you can cook a pot of beans for an hour safely, you can heat your trailer for an hour safely.
Having said that, I am not in favor of anyone going to bed with the stove or oven on. Yes people have been killed by CO. But the original premise was limited heating times, just like cooking.
Don't try to read more into the question than he posted.
Let the fun begin..
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:02 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
I'll put my 30 years in the fire service with yours Dave. Deb's 20 too. Quite often we'll fire up the burners in the morning to take the chill off. Never before bed, on the chance that we may fall asleep, but on many mornings. Never takes more than 15 minutes or so, and it feels great.
Ron and Debbie Lawrence
1985 345 Motorhome...... delightfully tacky......yet unrefined
AIR 7992
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:31 PM   #23

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Like Dave, Ron, and Deb, I am a former firefighter (though nowhere as long- I opted out for a academic career). Its tough to say it is a good idea to use the stove this way, however, if it is just to take off the morning chill I have no beef with it. For extended periods (ie greater than 30 min) or any time when you might get drowsy- not a chance.
Honestly though folks, you are towing a multi thousand dollar camper around, there is no excuse not to get the heater(s) in order. If making your biscuts and gravy will warm up your camper on a chilly morning great. But that isnt what the oven is for. Yes, you can use the stove that way, and yes, you will probally get away with it. On the other hand why risk it?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:23 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
Taking the chill off when cooking breakfast is one of the nice things about our morning camping ritual.
But the furnace does a better job of it.

I keep the oven vent fan running while cooking because, aside from possibly killing me, propane lets off a lot of water vapor when it burns, which contributes to that moist camper feeling.

One of the first things I bought for the trailer was a combination smoke and CO2 detector at Home Depot for about $30. It runs on 2 AA batteries, so its independant from the trailers electric. It has a self test for batteries, ect that is part of my pre-trip checklist.

In the house, I have a plug-inn battery backup CO detector in each bedroom and one in the furnace room in the basement because we live in an old house and Im paranoid.

It saved our bacon a few years ago when CO sarted leaking through the 10 year old duct tape on the flu of the 20 year old HW heater in our 50 year old house. The one in my Sons room went off because it is directly over the HW heater in the basement.
We took this as a sign to replace the whole HW heater.

Building codes nowadays prohibit any heat source that draws combustion air from the room in any bedroom to reduce a risk of a backdraft of CO into the room, but also there is a chance of it depleting the oxygen in the room while sleeping. The exception are Direct Vent units that draw cumbustion air from the outside.
I think RVs have that same requirement, there is a 3" hole drilled in the floor of the Avion under the combustion chamber for the furnace to draw fresh air.
Champagne wishes and Caviar dreams!
Budwieser budget.
volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:57 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member
1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
When my 1964 Overlander was parked at my deer camp, I used to roll in on a Friday night and would turn on all of the stove burners and turn up the oven on high. Within a very short time, the Carbon Monoxide detector I mounted on the ceiling would go off.

I would let it heat up the trailer, then turn it off and air the trailer out. The furnace was unreliable so I didn't use it. I had a small electric heater that would keep it warm after the stove/oven took the chill off.

One particularly cold winter, I bought one of those propane powered forced air worksite heaters. I would aim the fire down the center isle so it wouldn't burn up anything and get the temp around 100 degrees. I opened up all of the cabinets so the heat would get everywhere. This warmed up all surfaces inside and was comfortable after a very short time. Without this, as most of you know, it would have taken many hours to get the inside warm and comfortable. I of course aired it out before occupying it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	propane heater.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	43733  
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #26

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Lots of potential for a Darwin award in this thread.

pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:27 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member
1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
"Hold my beer and watch this"

Originally Posted by pmclemore
Lots of potential for a Darwin award in this thread.

Did I tell you that when I used the heater pictured above, I would always tell the other guys at the deer camp to "Hold my beer and watch this"?

Not really. I was always very careful with it. I would let it run only about 15 or 20 minutes at the most, then remove it and the propane tank to the porch outside. Then air the trailer out with the vent fan with the door and a couple of windows open.

I also had a smoke/CO detector, and always slept with the window nearest to me partially open no matter how cold it was just in case something unforseen happened.

dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote