Old 08-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Help with a Magic Chef range.

The PO did not record the serial number/model, etc, and I can't find a tag anywhere, even though the booklet tells me where it should be. The unit works fine, but I broke the oven handle and the door needs some work. Anyone know the model # of the range? Thanks, M

Old 08-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #2

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Here's pic if anyone can help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2210magic.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	166639  

Old 08-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Mike,

The one in my 1983 Excella looks similar, but has a beige top rather than stainless. Unfortunately, even though I can find the tags, everything is worn off. It was just printed on, not stamped into metal.

However, I do have a 1984 trailer Service Manual. It gives the Model Number for the Range and Oven Assembly as BT22KA-4TVX-M3.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #4

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Thanks, Vaughan, I think that's what appened to my I.D. , as well. Will check with Magic Chef. Just got a e-mail from a friend who has a mo/ho that still has the numbers. He shows "BT22JA-4TVX-M3. His has a glass window, and ours does not, but they sure look the same, as far as the handle goes, will post what I find. Still trying to track down the seals on both sides of the oven door.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Let me know what you find out. The glass on my oven door is the low point of mine. It looks pretty much new other than a couple of very minor chips in the beige porcelain on the top. (Well, it does now after I just cleaned it. Checking for the tag reminded me how badly it needed cleaning)

That and the folding cover that is not stainless and has some rust. I can't believe they just used plaited plain steel, but every one I've seen is rusted to some degree.

Is that a Revere Ware pressure cooker on yours? Nice cooker. I've got a new 6 quart stainless Presto and an older 2 quart Mirro pressure cookers. Seems like I almost always use the 2 quart one. Fits in the Airstream sink much better for cleaning.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #6

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Vaughan,my 1982 service manual shows what I think is your stove. Good old MC and AS must have done some switching around.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2212mcsch.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	166644   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2213mcsch.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	166645  

Old 08-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Vaughan,my 1982 service manual shows what I think is your stove. Good old MC and AS must have done some switching around.
Mike,

Those could have been scanned from my 1984 Service Manual. They're identical.

My guess is that the service manuals (and the model numbers) cover a broad range of products. My oven looks identical to yours except for the color of the top, the glass window, and mine has a red push on/off switch for the light in the oven above the Magic Chef logo to the right of the knobs. I didn't notice that yours didn't have the glass window before, they looked so much alike.

I'm thinking that Magic Chef (and especially Airstream) would consider them the same unit. Of course I could be wrong. However, your 310 and my Excella are both 1983s and we've managed to bracket that year with Service Manuals that agree. Maybe the window is considered a step up, though. Realistically, it's not good for much, just kind of looking tacky as it ages.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #8

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
After spending an hour on the 'net, I could get no hits from either of our numbers.
The pics they post of later models don't give dimensions, so I'm not going to jump in until I do some more research.
However, I was impressed with Appliance Parts and Accessories, Repair Appliance Parts, Discount Parts - ApplianceZone.com
They have a live chat and gave me a ton of numbers to research. I'm thinking, buy a bag of doggie treats and hit the junkyards that have R.V.s.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #9

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
The numbers that were sent to me from appliance zone were of no use. I was putting my service manual back when I noticed a Magic Chef cooking tips manual that I never paid much attention to. WOW! In the back was a old copy of exactly what I'd been looking for: a parts list. As you can see, the numbers are completely different from the AS manual. For those who might have trouble reading the pic, here we go. My stove (without the glass door) is BT16JS-42. Two other numbers are also written: 40-1080 & 40-0230. Coaches that come with paperwork like this are worth their weight in gold! Will find out today or next week what's happening.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2218msmo:ho.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	166719