Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Austin , Texas
Help! My microwave died

My microwave stopped heating - the light and turntable work but ti does not heat anything. So I went looking for a replacement but everything is too big to fit in the slide out shelf that it sits on. I have been loking everywhere but cannot find one small enough 17 1/4" X 12"w x 9 1/4"D. I have a 2007 international. I would appreciate suggestions
dgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgray View Post
My microwave stopped heating - the light and turntable work but ti does not heat anything. So I went looking for a replacement but everything is too big to fit in the slide out shelf that it sits on. I have been loking everywhere but cannot find one small enough 17 1/4" X 12"w x 9 1/4"D. I have a 2007 international. I would appreciate suggestions
Take the cover off the microwave.

Visually inspect the wiring and safety switches.

Many times it's issue is a wire or connector has popped off a terminal, or the door is misaligned with the safety switches.

Keep in mind that microwave's are made to sit on a counter, and are not designed to take punishment from our highways, especially if your running gear is not properly balanced and/or bad rubber rods in the axles.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If you don't mind looking inside the one you have which died, there commonly is a ceramic fuse which can pop for no apparent reason. Look for a fuse clip like the ones which hold glass fuses but this one will have a white cartridge. Take it out test it for continuity, and if it is blown, go to a very full line hardware store and they often will have them.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
STOP....STOP....STOP

Do not take the cover off unless you know what you are doing!!!!!!!

There is a High Voltage capacitor in there that can store up to 2400 volts even when unplugged and not used for years.
Many of people have been lucky enough to not touch the wrong wire. Some not so lucky.
Ever put a 9 volt battery on your tongue? Try 2,000 volts through your arm. If it does not kill you, it hurts like hell.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

When we were at Aluminina in NC a month or so ago, someone had modified their cabinet and added a microwave that slid out. I think it was "Justretired". You may want to pm him to see where he got his

Karen
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I agree with tiger. DO NOT REMOVE THE COVER FROM THE MICROWAVE. Unless you are an EXPERIENCED TECHNICIAN.
The capacitor inside can hold a charge for days.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
...if it's the magnetron (the device that outputs the microwaves), you can have this replaced. I had this done for my home built-in and it ran $150. Granted, you can find a cheap new one for less than that, but you are dealing with an opening for the size you've already got cut into your trailer. BTW, if you are on Angie's List you can find an appliance repair guy who can and will do this for you.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote