Old 09-29-2015, 02:34 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Have you ever considered totally removing the stove/oven?

I picked up my new AS today. It's 8 feet longer than my last one, and yet has less (and less usable) kitchen storage. There is only one drawer in the entire Airstream, you have to bend to reach it, and it's really shallow usable for silverware, but barely accommodates other kitchen implements.

Anyway, this lack of storage has me thinking again about taking out the oven/stove completely. I never cook on it. I use an electric griddle or rice cooker or other plug-in appliance, because I camp plugged in and don't want to have to vent while cooking with a flame. If the stove wasn't there, you could cook with an induction hotplate, or even a little camp stove if boondocking, but then you can put the camp stove or hotplate away and have your counter space back.

And really, who bakes in that oven? Isn't it dry-goods storage for most people?

I'd love to have the storage space back, and have a smooth, uninterrupted expanse of counter to use as I see fit.

So have you considered this? Is it a dumb idea because of resale value, or would it be a neutral change, or maybe an improvement?
Would you store the stove if you took it out, or get rid of it?
Has anyone done it? Experiences and opinions welcome.

thanks!

Old 09-29-2015, 03:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
We use the stove every camping day. Occasionally the oven. A camper without those would be not be desirable for us.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
We use the range top, but never the oven. My old camper's oven never had one day of use. So we had the new trailer built without an oven.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I don't think removing them would help the resale value. Seems it might have been one of those things to consider before buying. I am not roughing it anymore. I like and use all the included bells and whistles in my luxury Airstream.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our Airstream came with gas and convection/microwave ovens. We use the gas oven when boon docking and the convection when plugged in. On holidays with a group we have used both.

I would hang onto the range for awhile. It's hard to imagine extensive travel or ventures into remote locations without some boon docking, no hookups. Sometimes just stopping overnight at Walmart and baking a pizza or frozen dinner. The gas range facilitates those occasions very well.

At Camping World I have seen a wood top for the range, designed to fix exactly and even mount to lift for range use. A nice meal prep top. You might consider that to give the range top more function as countertop. We have one, and use a portable induction cooktop on it.

So many ways to cook, so delicious, got to watch the intake better.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
We don't have an oven and have not missed it. I love the drawers that are in it's space. We've been on the road for 6 months and have a portable one burner induction cooktop that we put on top of the gas stove. In the past 6 months we've been without electric 1/3 of the time. We're going to remove the gas stove and install a 2 burner induction cooktop and a larger inverter. We have a portable 2 burner propane stove to use when we don't have electric or enough sun to charge the batteries. We use the convection/microwave or a toaster oven when needed.

I think only you know how you use your kitchen and you should do what works for you and not worry about resale. The next owner can add what they want. The gas line will still be there if needed.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
We use the stove top and the gas oven all the time and would not want an RV without them. The gas oven is great for baking (which my wife does a lot of). We use the microwave occasionally, as well. After having a convection microwave in our last coach, we much prefer a gas oven and separate microwave. Convection ovens are very noisy and put a lot of heat into the RV.

For storage, we put a variety of kitchen items in the hall closet, which we don't need for clothing.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #8
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I was excited to get a camper with an oven. I use it often.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Henderson , Nevada
I removed mine and will upload some pictures later.
It added SO MUCH room up front !!
I then added a small combo stove / sink.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:50 AM   #10
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
We removed the stove/oven from ours almost immediately. The decision was made when we went into another camper that had cooked inside the day before. There was no way the smells were going to go away from that thing! We popped popcorn in a microwave once, then removed the microwave before the next trip. For us, campers are too small to cook in. All of our cooking is done on an electric griddle (outside), grill, or campfire. If it is raining, we either have sandwich stuff to eat or, if it isn't too hard of a rain, use the griddle under the awning.
To be fare, we only camp where we have power and water (and prefer sewer, too). Boon docking is not something we have tackled yet.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
We use our inside kitchen extensively, and that includes the oven. If I were looking at a used trailer, and the range was gone, I'd pass it up without a 2nd thought. Removing your could hamper resale. But if you removed it with the intention to put it back in for resale, then you're golden.
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
[QUOTE=DHart;1690654]We use the stove top and the gas oven all the time and would not want an RV without them. The gas oven is great for baking (which my wife does a lot of). We use the microwave occasionally, as well. After having a convection microwave in our last coach, we much prefer a gas oven and separate microwave. Convection ovens are very noisy and put a lot of heat into the RV.

For storage, we put a variety of kitchen items in the hall closet, which we don't need for clothing.

[/QUOT

We have never used the cook top in either of our 2 trailers. We never used the propane oven in the previous trailer. We have used the convection microwave, though. The cook top doesn't take away from storage or counter space because it has a cover. The lack of an oven makes 3 drawers where the oven would be if we had an oven.
Dhart, where do you put your clothes? You have the closet full of totes.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #13
The SilverSleeper

1992 21' Sovereign
Daphne , Alabama
We took out the stove and oven, and added a two burner cook top and a microwave,convection oven, we also removed the 2 bowl sink and added a 1 bowl sink. We ended up with a larger counter space and more storage. We also did not have a place for a microwave befor the remodel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	249322  
Old 09-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
Either we grill outside on the firepit or use the microwave. Just do not use the stove and over, so toying with the idea of installing a dishwasher in its place.
Wonder if anyone has done that?!?!?!?!

31' 1981 Excella II
2001 F-250 7.3D Crew w/8'bed and Pullrite 180degree

"Ask the Man Who Owns One" (Packard, Of Course)
or
"Ask the Woman who lives with one...or more!" (Gail)
'
ole81 is offline   Reply With Quote