Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Grill problems with Amana range

I have the Amana range and am having problems with the wire grill slipping down into the rubber washers whenever there are reasonably heavy pots on the burners. I took it in for warranty attention and they replaced the rubber washers but problems continue. Any ideas? Modifications?
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I have the Amana range and am having problems with the wire grill slipping down into the rubber washers whenever there are reasonably heavy pots on the burners. I took it in for warranty attention and they replaced the rubber washers but problems continue. Any ideas? Modifications?
Realize RV appliances aren't home grade much less restaurant grade. I probably replace those little "***holes" about once every 18 months. Plus every so often one just jumps off of the stove and hides. I literally don't know where it goes, but it seems to like to happen when I'm making fried eggs which want to have a level skillet.

You could probably make some kind of little support that would span the distance between the stainless drip pan and the wire. Maybe take a dowel rod, cut it to the appropriate length, then put a groove across the top that the wire grid would fit in?

I tried using the stove top one time with my cast iron dutch oven. Weight was definitely a problem.

Heavy pots and pans? Leave them home. The CW nesting stainless steel set is really good, heavy enough to be durable, but easy on the wrist - unlike the cast iron skillet and Dutch oven!

Happy trails!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Hmm. The latest round of trouble ensued following the manufacture of a large pot of spaghetti with Italian sausage and tomato sauce for friends.

If this is a common problem maybe my best bet is modifying the grill. I suppose I could grind off the enamel and weld on some washers or something to serve as a more effective stop.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Hmm. The latest round of trouble ensued following the manufacture of a large pot of spaghetti with Italian sausage and tomato sauce for friends.

If this is a common problem maybe my best bet is modifying the grill. I suppose I could grind off the enamel and weld on some washers or something to serve as a more effective stop.
Good idea... as an experiment why not go to you "box of stuff" and find some nuts with bigger center holes than the diameter of the grill. they'd also have to be bigger than the holes for the little rubber a** (inserts). Stack three or four on each leg then put the grill back in - see if that won't hold it up regardless of weight.

Option 2 - crockpot

Paula
Old 08-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
I have a threading die that's the right size and might try threading the end of the rod and screwing a nut on there at the right height. That might be easiest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Option 2 - crockpot
Next week I'm going to post a photo of the power pole where I'm staying. They have a breaker box with, I think, 40, 20a outlets next to it. One breaker per outlet. All the outlets are in use. I am using over 100 feet of extension cord. I am trying to run my air conditioner.

Power to the entire campground has gone out at least once during peak times.

So, no crockpot.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
I did finally thread the rods, sort of, and apply a nut and washer. The enamel is thick and so there wasn't much thread being cut into the metal, so I applied a good deal of Loctite sleeve retainer to hold the whole thing together. The result now is that the grill sticks up a little too high for the cover to fold flush, but for now I'm willing to live with it in order to have it remain secure during cooking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-04-17_15-02-57_237.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	127414  
Old 05-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Chambersburg , Pennsylvania
Have noticed, as I have just replace four grommets, that the edges of the hole where they go are very sharp. Guess there's no way to correct that. Maybe the grommets should be made of silicone instead of rubber. Heat from the grill probably causes them to lose their elasticity then tear. I get grommets from Lowe's $1.12 for two.

Surely, Amana, my stove, could come up with a more suitable solution.
Dusty-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Used black Permatex Wheatherstrip Adhesive to glue them little buggers in there.

Had two legs that needed leveling, found a bit of windshield washer tubing, large OD, teeny weeny ID cut it to length to level the grate, bout 1/4in, and glued it on the legs. I was prepared to put a washer on the end, but SFSG.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Severna Park , Maryland
This is an interesting thread. Would anybody know if the Amana range is the exact same as my Maytag range top on my '09 Flying Cloud? Know a lot of these components are marketed under different brand names. I'm having the exact same problems with grommets.

I tried Airstream who gave me a part # and was told I would have to buy through one of their dealers. Haven't pursued this yet.
sailorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Chambersburg , Pennsylvania
Sailorii, I took my grill to Lowe's, got my grommetts and four oversized washers with a "just the right size" hole to fit the foot of the grill. The tight fit will keep the washers from moving up and you don't have to alter the grill at all. So far it's been working ok.
Dusty-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty-B View Post
Sailorii, I took my grill to Lowe's, got my grommetts and four oversized washers with a "just the right size" hole to fit the foot of the grill. The tight fit will keep the washers from moving up and you don't have to alter the grill at all. So far it's been working ok.
I am so glad to find this thread. I am having the same issue. Dusty, would it be possible for you to take a picture? I went to my local ACE hardware and we tried several but still not exactly the right match. Do your grommets or washer have a size that I could look for. Thanks so much!

kelly
kds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
If anyone has figured out the washer and grommet sizes, I'd love to know. My wife complains about this every time we go camping and I like making her happy!
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
As far as I know, you have to get them from an Amana dealer. The grommet portion appears to be custom molded.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
No-Name RV Store

I buy grommets at a local RV Store. Just asked for them and described them. The store clerk called them "grill a##holes".

Paula
Old 01-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Oh sorry, I have grill a##holes but was wondering about washer size to help make things sturdier.

This evening I slid eight #10 x 1" stainless washers on top of the grommets and they work. I think the grill bar is 3/16" but the #10 washer was tight enough to hold things firm. It's not the perfect solution (a welding of washer to grill would be) but heavy pots shouldn't be a problem now.
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #16
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Those rinky dink grommets make me want to toss the whole thing out the door. Them and the equally rinky dink stove cover!

I am going to try tapping the legs for nuts - good suggestion and thanks!