Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
fixed broken oven handle

That is, I hope it is fixed. It was broken when we got our Argosy, and the bar part was in the cupboard, luckily. Before I shelled out $20 or so for a new handle, I reattached it with JB Weld, and it seems to be pretty sturdy and holding fine. Time will tell.
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Without looking at your Profile, I'm guessing you're a woman because a man would have found a much more complicated way to solve your problem. Case in point, my house got some water in it with the last big rain. After watching the water run across our patio and back up into the house, I decided that if we dug out the high ground on the low end of the patio to drain the water to the low runoff area of the yard, we could solve this issue. My husband, bless his sweet heart, made a rush trip up here from Ft. Worth to rent the heavy equipment to "fix" our problem. He was ready to order the equipment, order the concrete and start in. After some heated discussion in the yard, he decided we might try my idea, it was a lot cheaper. I'm thinking maybe a dry creekbed sort of thing. He's thinking Hoover Dam sort of thing. Don't get me wrong, he's done some wonderful things with the Airstream, but usually it's a case of overkill before he settles in to listen to "female" ideas. He's such a sweet, and now, logical man. Good luck with your handle I hope it continues to work for you.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
You got that right, a woman who will always try the cheap fix before the expensive replace. I have a sweet husband who will also sometimes take the complicated, expensive long way around what I see as a a simple thing, and I have to say wait, why are you doing it that way? I think it must be in their genes, lol!

Sandy (and Jim)
Old 04-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Bob is in construction management and he has every tool ever made "and I think he feels he has to use them". I think what may happen here is that men "can" do so many things that women have never been taught to do or just aren't strong enough to do. Most of the time we have to figure out what we "can" actually do without using the big tools. Bob has some great ideas, but then there are times when you just have to look at him and say "why would you do that?" Lucky he's so good natured, since he has such a pushy wife.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
I have a gadget guy, that thinks he needs most of the new tools that come along. I'm hoping that when he is retired in a month, he will use them! But he thinks it always takes a big tool to do a small job, lol! Me, I have a hand saw, two screwdrivers, a hammer and a drill, and I get most anything done I need to do!
Old 04-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Hummmm, what was this thread about - oh yes an oven handle, great job. Now, can you cook in front of that oven .

I'll await the quick response, but be nice......

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Honey, I can cook, in front of that oven or in it, lol!

The JB Weld is used for fixing cookware handles, all kinds of things subject to heat, I am sure it will be fine. If it holds. Time will tell, it seems very sturdy now.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet JB Weld Solution

Hi Isadora,

Got to say, I’m impressed. As a former mechanic and a tool and gadget guy, it has usually been me telling ladies about JB Weld and not the other way. Good for you!

In the Texas panhandle, I rebuilt Minneapolis-Moline engines used to pump water for center-pivot irrigations systems. They were 800 CID inline 6’s and were massive beasts. The older ones had cooling water passages in the cast iron oil pans. If you forgot to drain the oil pan water passages in the winter, they would freeze and crack. Cast iron is notoriously difficult to weld because its composition varies so much. (Apparently, whatever “iron” you throw in the pot is ok as long as it comes out looking like cast iron.) I would hot tank the cracked pans and let them dry for a couple of days. Then I would heat the cracked areas with a torch till they were warm to the touch. Then I would apply JB Weld. The warm iron would wick the JP Weld into the cracks for a repair that worked every time.

Following that, I later became a kaleidoscope maker. We used JB Weld to secure brass rods to 2” brass tubes for kaleidoscopes that had wheels with different natural materials, like flowers etc… If you properly clean and prepare the surfaces (On appropriate materials), JB Weld is permanent short of burning it off. If it fails, it is your fault.

I feel good about your oven handle. I had to reattach one end of mine in the Excella recently. Went great. Too bad the glass front that has “slivered” horizontal stripes with tiny gaps that you look through is in such poor condition. The stripes have come off in places that look like water or solvents used in cleaning the door have gotten behind and eroded them. The stove/oven is like new except for the ugly door.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Wow! Got any pictures of your kaleidoscopes? You hardly see those any longer. And thanks for the info on JB Weld. I had no idea it was that good. Perhaps someone on here as the oven door you need. Ever thought of contacting a salvage place or the factory for a replacement. May be worth a try.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Judy,

I have some slides, somewhere…but no access to a slide scanner since the Cold Cathode Florescent light source in our Minolta slide scanner died after about 4 hours of use. Ok, that was over a couple of years, but still. They should just get out of the camera business if that is their attitude! What! They did? Stop, I really didn’t mean it.

Just bought a new Sony Alpha DSLR. Sony stepped up and bought the Minolta DSLR and now markets it under their name. All my Minolta glass fits, so all is good after all, except for the slide scanner.

I’ll see if I can scrounge access to another slide scanner.

The oven door is low priority right now. I just ordered 200 Sq. Ft. of 6mm cork underlayer and bought 30 12” square Vinyl tiles for the bathroom, most of the hall, and a small “landing area” at the front door. The rest will be done in prefinished glue-down cork. After that, new cabinet and drawer faces. You get the idea. Photos will be forthcoming. Before photos can be found at http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...d=17830&page=2. Real before photos, they predate the Sony Alpha.

I also forgot to mention the new dinette I got from Soldermedic recently. Lots of upcoming changes to the Excella.

Stood in your spot that you had to pass on in Branson last fall. I couldn’t make the spring session myself. Maybe we all can make it somewhere together sometime in the future.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I think Bob and I will have to wait for retirement before we make rally plans again. I've tried to go twice and have been disappointed both times. I was so looking forward to getting away this time. Now I want a kaleidiscope again. Those were so much fun when I was young. Sounds as if your Excella will be a great looking trailer when you get it finished. I too hope we can get together some day. I'd like to meet some of the wonderful folks I already feel as if I know. We have great campgrounds down at Lake Eufaula, OK. Big problem is I don't have time to coordinate a rally.