Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Our trailer does not have an oven. It came with a microwave/convection oven. We can only use it if we have AC power. We have used it as both a microwave (80% of the time) and as an oven (20% of the time). Our old trailer had the gas oven. I can't say I've really missed the gas oven much. We almost always camp with full hook-ups. If I boondocked a lot, I'd really miss that old gas oven. I think the microwave is better to have than the oven bassed on how much it will be used.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We boondock a lot and still love our convection microwave as it can be powered by a Honda generator. It can be used for heating or baking or broiling. When on the road we try to do full hook-ups now and then and it's just plain convenient. Now we know why most of the newer coaches have them as standard equipment. Most people who have learned to use them love em.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International
crescent city , California
We just purchased our first airstream 16 ft after having a westfalia for years. I am going to purchase a convection/microwave oven for it. We camped last week and also used the shower. The 16 ft seems so large after the Westy all these years. Everyone asks us if we are going to sell the Westy-they have their eyes on it. No Way!

Catherine
surfsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
Our '63 Magic Chef 4 burner came without the oven pilot assembly when we bought the trailer. We bought a small counter top microwave and used the oven to store pots, pans and dog food. 4 years later with some research, help from the wonderfull folks on this forum who sent me pictures of the pilot assembly on thier old Magic Chef ovens, and faith in a higher power, I got the oven working over the winter. (There are no athiests in foxholes, nor do they light ovens for the first time that where rebuilt based on assumptions on how they think they should work.)
I use it more at home here this summer when I dont want to heat up the house to bake dinner.
We never did use the Microwave, it was too much of a pain to dig it out and find counter space. But on this last boondocking trip, we cooked a frozen pizza just because we can.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #25
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We do use our oven. Try to prepare things that are not messy so it stay's relatively clean. Don't use the microwave very much but then don't use it a lot at home either. It's good for defrosting and warming but not much else.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
We use the micowave /convection oven , our last trailer we never used the gas oven ,
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
I used it last weekend to bake chicken souvlaki when it was pouring rain outside. It worked great!

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Tried using the combination convection/microwave below the stove. Forget it. No woman was consulted in that design. You have to get on your hands and knees just to warm up a cup of coffee. The convection oven use is even worse. I just removed it to make way for a storage place for a toaster oven. I also removed the upper cabinet door and installed a microwave, now easily in reach.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
We got rid of the old oven and replaced with a new stainless 3 burner stove top
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0040.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	137034  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
We use both the microwave and the oven. Also a great way to bake potatos... Nuke them in the microwave first, then finish them off in the oven. Keeps the TT cooler and uses less gas. Also like to nuke our popcorn!
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Having gone without a oven, we wished we had one. So in my 1958 FC we just purchased a force10 marine Range/Oven. We are excited to have the option of a casserole or fresh muffins or cookies.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I have the convection /microwave; but for an oven, I go DUTCH. Easy to use and doesn't heat up the insides. Haven't used the stove in over 6 years. Most cooking done over the open fire or Coleman.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have no oven and don't miss it at all. We use our microwave only rarely, to reheat or melt butter.

For baked-goods-needs, we use our Dutch Ovens.

Maggie
Old 08-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #34
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The "oven thread" comes up often. Some people use their oven; some don't. Whether you do or not in and of itself doesn't tell much of a story. Neither does your favorite or most frequent thing to cook.

The story is in the why. From earlier threads there are some patterns that emerge.

What part of the country you camp in
The weather there
Whether you boondock
How long your trips are
Whether you eat in the trailer or eat out
The styles of food you like

The oven becomes important on cold, rainy trips where outside cooking is impractical. So if you camp in the desert maybe you won't want one as much as the guy who camps in Washington state or goes on duck hunting trips.

People who boondock and therefore cannot use a microwave or convection oven also place greater emphasis on a standard oven due to the relative unavailability of electricity. They also can replace a crock pot in this situation.

Over the last year I have used the oven for blueberry muffins, frozen pizza, and prime rib roast (with Yorkshires). I have broiled steaks when the weather simply will not permit the use of the outdoor grill. And I've made stews and potroasts, sometimes allowing them to cook while we are on the road.

But I recognize that there are many campers who never use the oven. Perhaps they make greater use of prepared foods than I do, buying their blueberry muffins in the store for example. Some have better weather and can rely on cooking outside. Others eat at restaurants more often. Still others build a camp cooking style around the cooktop. And a few use the convection oven.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer
The "oven thread" comes up often. Some people use their oven; some don't. Whether you do or not in and of itself doesn't tell much of a story. Neither does your favorite or most frequent thing to cook.

The story is in the why. From earlier threads there are some patterns that emerge.

What part of the country you camp in
The weather there
Whether you boondock
How long your trips are
Whether you eat in the trailer or eat out
The styles of food you like

The oven becomes important on cold, rainy trips where outside cooking is impractical. So if you camp in the desert maybe you won't want one as much as the guy who camps in Washington state or goes on duck hunting trips.

People who boondock and therefore cannot use a microwave or convection oven also place greater emphasis on a standard oven due to the relative unavailability of electricity. They also can replace a crock pot in this situation.

Over the last year I have used the oven for blueberry muffins, frozen pizza, and prime rib roast (with Yorkshires). I have broiled steaks when the weather simply will not permit the use of the outdoor grill. And I've made stews and potroasts, sometimes allowing them to cook while we are on the road.

But I recognize that there are many campers who never use the oven. Perhaps they make greater use of prepared foods than I do, buying their blueberry muffins in the store for example. Some have better weather and can rely on cooking outside. Others eat at restaurants more often. Still others build a camp cooking style around the cooktop. And a few use the convection oven.
Can we post this reply permanently on the portal? Great response.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Airbiscuit Send a message via Yahoo to Airbiscuit Send a message via Skype™ to Airbiscuit
I use it to store ziplock bags, foil, and cling wrap. Also a great place to store loaves of bread when traveling.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Yepper....I use it for my pots & pans.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #38
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It does make good storage, but it's also fun on a cold morning to make muffins.

mmmMMmMmmm.... Yup, it's a mood changer: warms the cabin, smells grrreat!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:20 AM   #39
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I noticed nobody has asked Hansel and Gretel what THEY think about ovens...
Old 08-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2002 31' Classic
Troy , Ohio
We use our oven frequently; I baked a blueberry peach cobbler for our Unit Summer Rally last Saturday. The oven was not baking properly, so I bought a thermometer to check the temperature and found that it is about 50 degrees off on the cool side, so I now set the dial to 400 degrees when I want to bake at 350. I also have a cushionaire sheet so that biscuits and cookies do not burn on the bottom.
rmk110761 is offline   Reply With Quote