Old 04-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
In our previous trailer and MH we had ovens. Rarely used them. We now have just a microwave/convection oven. Don't miss the gas oven a bit. But the extra drawer space is great!

Steve & Beth
AIR 22763
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
As someone earlier has already mentioned, what kind of camping do you do? We spend most of our time either boondocking or camping at sites without hookups. A microwave is like a boat anchor to me. The oven is always there and we use ours a great deal.

If you stick to the hard top and park it at the KOAs, then hooking up to use the microwave is the way to go.

aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We use the oven and stovetop about equally, same as at home. Roasts, baked fish, poultry, potatoes, squash, pizza, breads, cakes . . . had a camper van without an oven and meals were much lower quality. No need for microwave.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
oven yes

Only been on one camping trip so far (with airstream) and used the oven for pork roast with potatoes and it was wonderfull! We will be using the oven! I'm also in the no microwave club.MPJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3228.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	126513  
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
had the trailer 4 years and camped probably 14 months or more and 5 caravans in it. have never used the oven. we use the oven for a bread drawer and to store the toaster oven. would opt for a trailer without an oven.
We are just the opposite. Can't imagine being with out the oven but we always used the microwave for a bread box. Finally took the microwave out.

We boondock most of the time and try to avoid any appliance requiring 110 volts
Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , North Carolina
Originally Posted by TinCanLand View Post
Was inspired by another post "do you use your shower".

Reason why asking, we are moving up from a Westfalia, probably to a 19' and are wondering about the oven.

NEVER, EVER even though about having one. Can see the value in having a microwave, though. AC, yes. Shower, YES. But have not seen any Bambi's without an oven. Thoughts on this? Are we missing something? Thanks, Steve
Good points, especially about the "boondocking". With the camper we have, be never even use sites with hookups. I guess I have been unconsciously picturing "always" having hookups, so microwave no problem. But you are completely right, we are more likely to continue to use campgrounds more similar to the ones we are used to (no hookups) than start using KOA's, etc. all the time. Gas oven then essential. Microwave on an inverter, not a pretty sight. Thanks to all for the brain slap. Steve.
TinCanLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member
2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Our trailer does not have an oven. It came with a microwave/convection oven. We can only use it if we have AC power. We have used it as both a microwave (80% of the time) and as an oven (20% of the time). Our old trailer had the gas oven. I can't say I've really missed the gas oven much. We almost always camp with full hook-ups. If I boondocked a lot, I'd really miss that old gas oven. I think the microwave is better to have than the oven bassed on how much it will be used.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We boondock a lot and still love our convection microwave as it can be powered by a Honda generator. It can be used for heating or baking or broiling. When on the road we try to do full hook-ups now and then and it's just plain convenient. Now we know why most of the newer coaches have them as standard equipment. Most people who have learned to use them love em.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' International
crescent city , California
We just purchased our first airstream 16 ft after having a westfalia for years. I am going to purchase a convection/microwave oven for it. We camped last week and also used the shower. The 16 ft seems so large after the Westy all these years. Everyone asks us if we are going to sell the Westy-they have their eyes on it. No Way!

surfsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
Our '63 Magic Chef 4 burner came without the oven pilot assembly when we bought the trailer. We bought a small counter top microwave and used the oven to store pots, pans and dog food. 4 years later with some research, help from the wonderfull folks on this forum who sent me pictures of the pilot assembly on thier old Magic Chef ovens, and faith in a higher power, I got the oven working over the winter. (There are no athiests in foxholes, nor do they light ovens for the first time that where rebuilt based on assumptions on how they think they should work.)
I use it more at home here this summer when I dont want to heat up the house to bake dinner.
We never did use the Microwave, it was too much of a pain to dig it out and find counter space. But on this last boondocking trip, we cooked a frozen pizza just because we can.
Champagne wishes and Caviar dreams!
Budwieser budget.
volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #25
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We do use our oven. Try to prepare things that are not messy so it stay's relatively clean. Don't use the microwave very much but then don't use it a lot at home either. It's good for defrosting and warming but not much else.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member
2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
We use the micowave /convection oven , our last trailer we never used the gas oven ,
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member
1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
I used it last weekend to bake chicken souvlaki when it was pouring rain outside. It worked great!
Every home needs a dog, and every dog needs a home.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Tried using the combination convection/microwave below the stove. Forget it. No woman was consulted in that design. You have to get on your hands and knees just to warm up a cup of coffee. The convection oven use is even worse. I just removed it to make way for a storage place for a toaster oven. I also removed the upper cabinet door and installed a microwave, now easily in reach.

Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote