Old 04-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
The official nickname for "modicicacious noxiainfectus" is FARKELING. This is a blend of words "functional" and "sparkling" meaning both occur with the activity.

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia

That makes us Farkers!

"All that is mine, I carry with me." Cicero
RMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Well...we're gonna find out how much we like having an oven...we apparently are not the most observant people on the planet So... we have a micro/conv/cooktop combo in our Sovereign 21 - frankly I've used the micro maybe 5X in 2 years.... so we decide we want a second larger Airstream -- we find a great deal on a 2012 Serenity 28' - I swear we have looked at those pics a zillion times... walked through it last night ... still didn't notice that it had an oven and no microwave Once we got over the "panic" we started talking about how we could toast garlic bread and the hubby could make his biscuits when we boondock (which we do a lot) we're gonna see how it goes. If we miss the micro we can always get a small one and stash it somewhere....
2012 International Serenity 28
2012 Ford F150 EcoBoost TV
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
Hilton head island , South Carolina
We really want a oven in the 25 Eddie Bauer but all the models we can find only have the convection micro and cook top. The 27s have a oven and slide out micro for the most part.

That is the only reason we want a 27. We don't need the extra storage. Is the oven worth a extra 6 k and 2+ feet of extra weight to tow. I say no.. Wife says yes.

I grill a ton and can do most anything in a oven on a grill but my wife wants the oven to control her meals when she cooks

Sure we could add one on a 25 but then we lose the functional space for the micro.

Decesions decessions
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Having had a 25 and a 28, I say get the bigger trailer. No real difference in towing. Not to carrry more stuff, but to not have everything jumbled.

We had ovens in out 3 Airstreams, but virtually never used them. We finaly traded the oven for a cooktop and drawers. Lots better.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
My wife and I have been talking about another mod to our 23' International ...Removing the flimsey Dometic stove/oven and replacing with a better quality cooktop ( Force 10 three burner) and using the new space under it to install two new drawers. We wonder if we are being precipitous! Are we infected with the Modificacious virus?

So the question is, how many chefs out there actually use the oven? Has anyone else done this and rued the decision?

Wish I had known before I ordered an oven which we will get in a couple of weeks. Darn. The Airstream we have now only has a micro conv. and I really miss my oven. Have to have an oven.
StreamNTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:23 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
After owning the new-to-us 2012 Serenity 28 for 9 months now and having taken at least 10 trips (including a week for Alumafandango) in it, we agree that we love having the oven and don't miss a microwave. We have plenty of room to stash a microwave and we kinda planned on getting a small one, but we still haven't done that and I don't know that we would unless we started full timing down the road. Another huge plus is the oven works when we're boondocking without having to start up the generator!! We are also thoroughly enjoying the extra space as well - we went from 22' to 28' and a half a foot wider so huge difference...we also did a cool mod -- took out the dinette and had a custom countertop with huge cabinet underneath one end installed - gave us more storage and even more space to move around!!

When you're not using the oven, it's also a great place to stash your skillets!!
2012 International Serenity 28
2012 Ford F150 EcoBoost TV
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Bottom line, if you want a microwave you have to be plugged in. If you camp without hookups the oven will make more sense. We like and use our oven.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I'm not anywhere near deciding on an oven or not for my 77's renovation, but I found this cool portable propane oven on Amazon (of course). A viable alternative for those without a built in oven that like to cook outdoors. Camp Chef Camping Outdoor Oven with 2 Burner Camping Stove: Kitchen & Dining
My 77 Sovereign Renovation
Out in the woods, or in the city, It's all the same to me.
When I'm drivin' free, the world's my home....When I'm mobile.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:45 AM   #24
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
My wife likes to bake, so we definitely want an oven.

But, our trailer doesn't have the gas oven option. So, we bought a toaster oven that we keep in a closet when we're not using it. The only down side is that it doesn't work without electricity so we have to plan our meals around that limitation (or fire up a generator, but it's easier to just plan to not need it). One up side is that when we know we're going to be camping without electricity, we can leave the toaster oven at home to free up some space in the closet.
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We have an oven, and wouldn't have it any other way. However, "they say" that you can do everything in a convection microwave you can do in a regular oven, but you do have to learn how to use it, and it seems talking to friends that have them that learning is not so easy. But, there is no getting around needing AC power with a microwave.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I posted this in another thread....but, I ordered my trailer with a Sharp microwave/convection oven. I hated it. Had to have hookups. So, last year I bought an Amana on scratch and dent at JC. After installing it, I found I had room UNDER it for a microwave/convection....Yes, you have to get on your hands and knees to use it (which I had to do with the Sharp anyway), but I've got the best of both worlds. Think oven/no oven really boils down to cooking preference. (I also have a portable induction cooktop!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0731.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	207251  
"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
It really is a personal thing. We have an oven and a microwave and we use them both all the time. My wife and I eat the same menu in the trailer as we do at home - including chocolate chip cookies. It's also a good place to store our giant toaster.

John & Vicki
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Renton , Washington
Warm brownies on a rainy day, baked potatoes, pizza, fresh cornbread with chili.....just sayin'

orange kayak is offline   Reply With Quote