Old 12-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master
In six years, I have not cooked in my oven.

We camp with a group and have pot luck dinners. I usually only have to prepare one dish, which I do outside. I socialize while I cook and don't heat up and stink up the trailer.
I am still glad that I have an oven, for when I go boondocking.
For now, the oven serves as a nice bread box. ( ok...donuts )
The oven might come in real handy for cold weather camping, when you don't want to cook outside and you don't mind warming up the trailer.

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #16
Aluminum in 3-D
1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
I always like to say that everything in your trailer should have 2 purposes. I love our ovens in both trailers. We do a lot of winter camping and I always plan for using the oven for making dinner, makes dinner and warms the trailer. when not cooking it makes a great storage area for the cookie sheet and baking pans etc. I use the oven in the trailer more than the one in the house.

Past President Oregon unit WBCCI
This isn't your grandmothers WBCCI

Air Forum#17236

Check out the Oregon WBCCI Club and Airstream Living Oregon unit 090 on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
WE boondock most of the time. Oven is used almost daily, chickens, roasts, cookies etc.
The microwave is used as a breadbox .
Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
1966 30' Sovereign
Bethany , Illinois
A new fancy convection/microwave oven would be nice in the camper, if you can afford one and have enough power for it. But, like many others have said the oven is great for things a plain microwave can't do. The wife likes to make muffins and small loaf breads. We usually eat lots of leftovers and use the oven to re-heat things the old fashioned way.
Cory, Angie, and 'Lucy'
1966 Sovereign International
2003 Black Chevy Silverado w/q-steer
airstream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #19
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Originally Posted by uncledan View Post
We have recently adopted a 66 Caravel. Due to some rot I plan to rework the kitchen area cabinet. I'm wondering if I really need an oven or would I be better off with a stove top and maybe a microwave.
How much baking do people really do?
As you can see from this thread and the other thread, opinions are divided.

Instead of merely sharing the fact that I like my oven (I do, but so what?), I would encourage you to consider these questions:

- Do you cook while camping? Many people do not, instead preferring to prepare cold food, eat out, or enjoy the hospitality of others.

- Do you camp in a climate where you can rely on cooking outside? In many parts of the southwest and the west you can pretty much count on nice weather. In the mountains and in the midwest you can't and so it's more important to be able to cook inside.

- Do you always have shore power? If so, maybe a microwave/convection oven is good enough.

- Does your style of cooking make use of an oven? Some people cultivate the use of the stovetop, and with a dutch oven you can make many dishes that might otherwise require an oven. On the other hand some people depend on the evenness and predictability of an oven, or cook things that depend on high heat or dry heat, like popovers, bread, and cakes.

So, I live and camp in Minnesota and the surrounding area, where the weather is unpredictable and I can't count on being able to cook outside. I nearly always cook 1-2 hot meals a day while camping. I often lack shore power, and I like to cook pizzas, roasts, and things like muffins and popovers. So you can see why I insist on having one.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Well, really - only you know how you like to cook. I'm of the Jammer school myself, and I use my oven all the time. When it's not in use it stores cookie sheet, lasagne pan, cutting board, etc. I love those pizzas, cinnamon rolls, baked potatoes with a nice crusty skin, etc. Maybe you don't ...

But as someone said above, if you boondock, you'll use it a lot, and if you're always on shore power (even if that means a generator), not so much. Shore power makes it easier to use a microwave or combination micro/convection oven. I boondock a lot, and I can't remember when, if ever, I've used my microwave - so I'm considering ditching it.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari
Montrose , Colorado
I have to agree with Jammer, we like our oven and would not have any use for a microwave, because we boondock almost all of the time. And the oven is not lost storage space, it is a great place to put bread, cereal, and other food items while on the road.
48Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
After reading all these thoughtful replies I’m starting to think maybe I do need an oven. I tend to grill when I have a chance but all the talk about brownies and cinnamon rolls has got me craving baked goods.
uncledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Originally Posted by uncledan View Post
After reading all these thoughtful replies Iím starting to think maybe I do need an oven. I tend to grill when I have a chance but all the talk about brownies and cinnamon rolls has got me craving baked goods.
After you've made cookies or brownies or a pie in that oven you'll make that part of every trip! And... when you don't have electricity (which for us, is more often than not these days) you will have something besides the stove top to use for cooking. We often make a meals ahead of time, freeze them and then use the oven to heat them up while great...and those frozen goodies help keep the fridge cold while they are thawing out, too!
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #24
2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
My wife is a "baker".We have the convection/microwave and missed the old style oven, but OMGosh, this was the best forced issue we ever undertook. Love it and worth every penny.

My opinion.

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I use my oven frequently. I carry Costco quantity disposable baking pans and can whip up something on a moment's notice. Toss in a meat dish, toss in baking potatoes and you're half there. It has proved useful as backup to bbq when the regulator failed. It is a redundancy during electrical failure. One of the hits of my last trip was a couple tins of homemade cornbread baked in the oven.

tpi is offline   Reply With Quote