Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
Discolored oven door glass on Magic Chef oven

I recently tackled cleaning up the appearance of the oven door in my '80 Excella. Prior to starting I had cruised the net looking at sources for parts, etc. and found one outstanding site specializing in "vintage stoves and ovens" with some great advice on these older stoves. Didn't bookmark it and now can't find it. My problem, which appears to be common, is streaking of the black paint and silver lines on the oven door which appears to be from oven cleaner or some other cleaning material. I have removed the door glass and used paint stripper to remove the finish. What was left of the black came off without a problem, however the silver lines on the door resist stripper and scraping with a razor scraper even though some of them obviously were disolved by some prior cleaning agent leaking down. Does anyone have a source for a new door glass or a method of getting the rest of the silver lines off or a source of parts?
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:00 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Florence , Alabama
Hi @Ahzmyrah, I am trying to give our 81' Excella oven a deep clean and wondered if you ever found a solution for your glass oven door? Would love to hear any other tips or tricks you have for cleaning up the oven. Thanks!
losfeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:21 AM   #3
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
IMHO chuck the glass oven door as it’s too heavy for the hinges. For about $50 have a metal shop make a steel door then paint it yourself with appliance paint or have it powder coated.