Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Convection Microwave Pros & Cons

I know there's another thread "does anyone use their oven" on this forum, however I'm seriously considering replacing my oven with a convection microwave. 90% of the time I have hookups, and I like using the dutch oven when I don't.

I've decided to keep my 25 FB SE rather than blow yet more money on a 27 CCD FB (though if one fell from heaven...) and since I'm keeping it for the long run, I might as well customize it. Yes I'll take pictures and post the changes.

I've actually never had a convection microwave. Could anyone chime in and tell me how they like theirs? Here's my plan. I'm going to replace the counter top, put in a single sink, probably rectangular, thinking of a 3 burner SMEV stovetop, and a convection microwave. I'll gain a bit more counter space, a sleeker, easier to maintain stovetop and have an oven that I don't have to kneel and pray to light.

So - those of you who have the convection microwave, educate me on the benefits/problems associated with these.

Thanks, Paula
Old 01-19-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
We replaced the microwave in our 31 Classic with a Sharp convection microwave purchased at the outlet at Jackson Center and have been delighted with it. My wife makes homemade rolls, pies, baked potatoes, etc. and it works just like a regular oven. It fit the existing microwave space with only slight modification for the trim strip. We also replaced the conventional microwave in our home with a convection microwave and we would never go back because of its flexibility. No downsides that we are aware of to replacing your microwave oven.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
No experience, but........

Hi, I don't have one of these micro-convection type ovens, but from what I've heard at some rallies, they are difficult to use. People said they need to read owner's manual everytime they use it. I hear that if you do learn to use them, they work quite well. A few ladies said they just use it as a regular Micro-wave and don't do the convection part. Once again, I have no actual experience with one, But that is what I heard.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i use it.

i like it.

yes, it's different and you have to learn that 'style' of cooking.

i don't think you'll want to bend to use it.

i wish i had more counter coming out from under it so that when i spill things going in and out, it did not land on the floor.

i can't use the oven and the AC at the same time. if it is located on the street side, you might be able to set up a separate 120v line that plugs into the snin behind it. if you have a toggle switch for the ac/oven, like i do, the time has to be reset every time it gets switched back.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:24 AM   #5

Angry Convection vs standard oven

While I don't use the oven, my wife says she wishes she had our former standard oven. For one thing, you need your generator to operate the oven. As others have said, you need the owners manual everytime you use it. We have a 30 Excella (2000) and would gladly swap with someone who wants the microwave/convection.
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
My wife loves to cook and try new recipes... I actually removed the convection oven from the airstream and placed it in the house for two months so my wife could learn how to use it. Each time she used it she had to read the manual. Im not sure the folks at sharp could have made it less intuitive to operate. I have since reinstalled it back into the airstream and I would guess she has forgotten all her tricks by now. We love the concept but it takes time to master.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Sharp convection microwave

We use this oven "as an oven" quite often. Even cook good pizza in it; baked potatoes, actually a pie one time.
Anyway, several years ago the display went weak on me. Half or less of the numbers and letters would illuminate. I put up with this for a long time before learning about a man in Indiana who repairs the display units. He sent instructions for the removal of the panel, shipping instructions and he returned it repaired for less than an expensive bottle of wine. My wife and I can now use it without guessing what the panel was "asking".
rtaylor537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
The microwave/oven is not that difficult to use. We have cooked pizza, pork chops, steaks and other foods in it. We love it. Everything comes out tasting very good.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Our 22' SS came with one and we have one in our house. They are very easy to use. When used as an oven you have to remember it takes less time to cook. We love ours.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Paula,

We have a microwave/convection oven in Bertha and I have used it ever since we moved into her. i like it, and have used it almost daily. It also has a grill in it. daewoo brand.

Sometimes things will take a little longer to cook, and there are times I have to refer to the instruction book, but i have cooked most everything in it. Makes great cookies!

When we move into the town house next month, I will take it with me and continue to use it.

When we get a tradewind, I will put one in there too.

Go for it!

Marie
Old 01-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
While Becki is the one that usually does the baking on trips, I have actually baked Key Lime Pies in ours at rallies...in fact you may have had some of one I baked at the Can Opener 2007.

Becki is used to using it and is successful in using the convection oven. However, I use it so seldom that I have to get down on my knees to read the index on the inside of the door to determine the settings. I cooks 25% faster than a conventional oven or you can cook at regular setting and just enter the time and temp and not use the convection setting. So far, we haven't had any difficulty using the A/C and the microwave or convection oven at the same time.

Because our kitchen is on the street side, the convection microwave oven was the only way we could get the built in microwave (or so we were told) because of the way the door swings. The main issue I have is getting down on my knees to read the display and directions on the inside of the door. Other than that I think they are great.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Our 22' SS came with one and we have one in our house. They are very easy to use. When used as an oven you have to remember it takes less time to cook. We love ours.
What Ahab said! We love ours for both convenience and speed, with no loss of tastiness quality.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:51 AM   #13

Redding , California
We have a Kitchen-Aid Ultima Cook oven in our home and absolutely love it. It has halogen so cooks three different ways.
mikealeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Morris , Indiana
We took our oven out to make room for a washer/dryer. Love the convection oven.
Dona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wanna SWAP?

I have a gently used conventional oven from my 2006 Safari FB SE....

Sounds like I'm not going to find a whole lot of people out there who have the convection microwave and hate it.

Paula
Old 01-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Foiled Again -

We have a Sharp in our 345 & I just love it! I want one for home. I think it’s the original 1989 & still going strong. I was intimidated by “convection”, but I’m learning. It has a “combo” setting, so you can do microwave, convection, or a mixture (that would be ideal for roasts, when I get that far). Right now, we use the combo for huge (I mean huge -- meal size) baked potatoes. So in 35 minutes we have two perfect baked potatoes.

Tracy
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dona View Post
We took our oven out to make room for a washer/dryer.
I would have never thought of doing that.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
I Love it!

I use our convection/microwave all the time and I love it. Once you start using it often, you don't need to look at the manual.

Sonia
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #19
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
2 minute popcorn

Try egg rolls on the convection setting...
Fantastic!!!
Even the cheap ones come out crisp and flaky...not goowee.
I even go out to the Airstream to cook them at home.

But now...
On last visit to Home Depot while in Florida, I found a S/S convection/microwave on sell for $99.
And it is 1000w vs 650w for the Sharp original that was built in 1985.
(it is now in the house)

While swapping them out, I noticed lots of room in that spot.
I decided to use it to set the oven back about 8" for more elbow room.
Plus now has a small landing in front of oven.

Nailed in some 1/4 round to hold oven in place...and to keep stuff from sliding under.

Now can pass in front of oven with door open
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Nice, Ted...what about heat dissipation in the smaller space? We've been looking at alternatives since our Sharp quit after only 20 years of service......currently using a cheapo micro for temporary replacement...really miss the convection option...would just scrap the gas oven if the effort wasn't too much-we just use it for storage, anyway...mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote