Old 07-23-2009, 09:20 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
For one piece I think he wanted 35 dollars. I had all kinds of stuff done. I had a pile and he charged me 85 dollars.

Brian

Old 07-23-2009, 10:59 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2 View Post
Isadora , if you haven't gone to Colaws yet I'm looking for that same 3 burner stovetop . It measures 19 1/4 wide and 15 7/8 deep .
I did go to Colaw's Monday. They still do have a variety of stove tops, some three and some four burner. All $30. I would suggest you call them and tell them you know they have some and tell them what you need. They might just have the right one for you. But do ask if they have any chips or scratches, because some of them had chipped corners. (they are new but some of them have slight damage). I already PM'd COARGOSY78 with info. They may be able to order one for you if they don't have the right one in stock, it never hurts to ask.

They also have a variety of stove covers. I think those were $45.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

http://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #31
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Brian - thanks for that info. I started checking around as I think the powdercoating is going to be easier and less expensive for us in the long run. Will have to get a quote first to be sure.

I did find out that there are different types of powdercoating. The first place I called said that I would need to get "high temp" powdercoating, which they don't do. They gave me the name of a guy, so I am e-mailing him a pic. We won't be able to get together till next week, but will be interested to see if it works out. Again, yours looks great, so I'll keep the fingers crossed. One other ?? - our inside fridge racks are also really bad, would powdercoat work on those do you think?

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Leigh:

I don't know what part of colorado you live in but I did an Internet Inquiry using my search engine. I typed in powder coating and Colorado. This is what came up. You could probably find something if you add the biggest city nearest to you.

powder coating colorado springs - Bing

Brian
Old 07-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Leigh:

Here is some more info about the benefits of powder coating. Check with custom motorcycle shops as well as custom auto shops.

Powder Coating

Brian
Old 07-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #34
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Brian - Great info. We actually live closer to Denver, but appreciate what you added. The additional info on the powdercoat process was very enlightning. I'm even thinking down the road of a powdercoat job on our whole Argosy.

I read in that article that a powdercoat topcoat in clear is close to available. Wouldn't it be nice if you could shine up your AS then have it clear, top powdercoated for protection!@!

It sounds like it is much better for the environment and lasts longer too.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Leigh:

Go for it. I would first find out if aluminum can be powder coated. That I do not know. The clear sounds pretty cool. My clear coat looks good on my overlander except for the top. Good enough for me.

Brian
Old 07-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plainfield , New Hampshire
Rusty burner grates

On my 1974 Overlander rear bath, I am having the stovetop powdercoated with high heat silver colored powdercoating at a metalsmith shop. The guy said that he could powdercoat everything except the black burner grates (which look exactly like the ones in the photo above from Lothlorian on 7/23/09) which the guy said he thought must be ceramic which can't be powdercoated. Later I was wondering how ceramic would rust. Anyone know what these grates are made of? Being around and almost above the flame it seems that they would get the hottest. Any ideas or experiences regarding replacement or refinishing?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Mike,
What are you paying for the powder coating? I've got a '74 Overlander also and my stove is a mess. I've been sanding and scraping and it "aint" going so well.
I've called several powder coating shops in Houston and they have minimum charges of $100.
Don't know if it's worth spending more to have it powder coated, since a new one isn't that much more.
Thanks
Old 07-27-2010, 06:03 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I did not pay that much. The price you are getting is probably set by the region you live in. They probably all keep up with each other. I took as many different pieces I could find that would look good with the steel color. I know I did not pay over $85.00 for all of them. Powder coat works really well. I am very glad I went with it.

Brian