Old 07-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #15
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Isadora - that is interesting about Colaws. The guy I talked to was very specific about not selling just the cooktop?? and he was the one to suggest the powdercoat?? I wonder if you have to be there in person to talk them into it? or maybe they just changed the rules? I'm bummed...

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
Isadora - that is interesting about Colaws. The guy I talked to was very specific about not selling just the cooktop?? and he was the one to suggest the powdercoat?? I wonder if you have to be there in person to talk them into it? or maybe they just changed the rules? I'm bummed...

Now, they don't sell the stove cover, or lid. At least not that I could find. But the last time I was there, they still had stove tops, and burner grates. In 3 and 4 burner styles, in more than one size. That was just a few weeks ago. They might have sold out, by now, is all I can guess if he told you they didn't have them. But we got our stove top there. New and still in the plastic wrapper but in the salvage area. We are going to have to make another trip over there for a couple of little things, sometime next week. I can check again for you if you would like, if it is the stove top you are after. Just let me know what size you want and we will see if they have it.

Trouble with Colaw's is, sometimes they don't have time to go look for something and they won't tell you over the phone if they have it or not. We needed a piece for our shower head last week, and there was one left. On the back of the shelf, hidden in the corner. They never would have told us they had it if we hadn't gone to look for ourselves.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

http://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #17
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Oh, if you are going out to Colaws, that would be great!!! I have always figured they might tell me something is so, but it would be different story if I was there. Not blaming them, I'm sure they are busy, but sure can be frustrating sometimes, not having them close

Here is a picture. Ours is a 3 burner gas Magic Chef. The oven part is pristine-not used by PO. We used some of that car paint referred to above to do under the cooktop, so it looks good now, but nothing we have tried worked on the cooktop itself. Anyway, to the pic...
PS: based on what yours was, can you give me idea of cost? Thanks a bunch!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Magic chef top.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	84060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magic chef front.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	84061  

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 07-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2 View Post
Have you used this ? It looks interesting.
Yes, but not on appliances.
I have been experimenting with different coatings to deal with the filiform problem we have. Try contacting the company, they were very helpful when I explained what I was planning to use it for. Not sure how heat resistant it may be. (i'm still in the filiform experiment stage)

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Oh, if you are going out to Colaws, that would be great!!! I have always figured they might tell me something is so, but it would be different story if I was there. Not blaming them, I'm sure they are busy, but sure can be frustrating sometimes, not having them close

Here is a picture. Ours is a 3 burner gas Magic Chef. The oven part is pristine-not used by PO. We used some of that car paint referred to above to do under the cooktop, so it looks good now, but nothing we have tried worked on the cooktop itself. Anyway, to the pic...
PS: based on what yours was, can you give me idea of cost? Thanks a bunch!!
Mine was $30. + tax. I think they were all the same. What is the measurement?

Old 07-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #20
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
I'm going out to where our "Moonunit" is housed early tomorrow morning. I will measure and get back here sometime tomorrow, probably late evening, as I am scheduled to be a worker bee most of the day :{

Old 07-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
I'm going out to where our "Moonunit" is housed early tomorrow morning. I will measure and get back here sometime tomorrow, probably late evening, as I am scheduled to be a worker bee most of the day :{

No big hurry, we won't go out there until next week sometime. You can PM me with your stats whenever.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
No big hurry, we won't go out there until next week sometime. You can PM me with your stats whenever.

Isadora , if you haven't gone to Colaws yet I'm looking for that same 3 burner stovetop . It measures 19 1/4 wide and 15 7/8 deep .
Old 07-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
i always that that that only applies when spraying the paint on and not after it dried.

Even after it's dry , not to be used for range tops.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
you might want to consider powder coat. Auto body shops or guys who are rebuilding engines and want them to look perfect will powder coat. I used powder coat on my stove and it looks like new. You can go with about any color you want. It won't rust and it can handle temps up to 450 degrees. The cost was not expensive and if you live in a metro area there are probably several shops that do it.

They put your stove top in a both that automatically sandblasts it to bear metal. Then they put it in another both where they hook electrodes to your metal. The paint is dry and magnetic pull causes the dry paint to stick to the metal. Pretty amazing. Hot rod people use it.

Check mine out

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	powder coat3.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	84393  
Old 07-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
you might want to consider powder coat. Auto body shops or guys who are rebuilding engines and want them to look perfect will powder coat. I used powder coat on my stove and it looks like new. You can go with about any color you want. It won't rust and it can handle temps up to 450 degrees. The cost was not expensive and if you live in a metro area there are probably several shops that do it.

They put your stove top in a both that automatically sandblasts it to bear metal. Then they put it in another both where they hook electrodes to your metal. The paint is dry and magnetic pull causes the dry paint to stick to the metal. Pretty amazing. Hot rod people use it.

Check mine out

Brian
Hey Brian, your stovetop looks great-- do you think they could power-coat the front side (outside) of the oven door? Mine works perfectly, but is a not-so-attractive shade of brown that I would like to update a bit.

Also, of course, I need to get the cooktop itself done as well. It is far rustier than the picture above, and no amount of sanding is going to get it back to chrome perfection.

Thanks!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post

Check mine out

Brian
Brian - did you have the "knob tray" done also - can't tell from the photo. If so did it come out OK also. Thanks....
Old 07-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #27
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Brian - thanks for posting the pic! Powdercoating was what the guy at Colaws suggested after saying they didn't sell just the range top. I wonder if it would end up costing the same to have ours powdercoated locally as opposed to trying to buy one used? Isadora said hers cost $30 and she didn't have to do shipping, so I'm thinking if it cost $45 or less? What can you tell us about the cost? Thanks.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Hey Guys if it is metal they can powder coat it. I took my stove apart and had all the pieces done. My stove was pitted with rust and looked very nasty. I was shocked when I got it back. They have so many different shades of different colors. I tryed to match it to the original metal color. The person who was doing it had a huge color chart. So three of us narrowed it down to the exact color. I even found other pieces of metal like the fart fan vent and had them powder coat it. It was one set price so I wanted to get as many things done at once.

When you go to hot rod shows and see those beautiful engines with chrome and other colors. You are looking at powder coat.

Brian