Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1963 19' Globetrotter
Graham , Texas
Can I Hose the Stove? 63GT

We have taken out the inside. The wood does not look good. Needs new floor, have not seen underneath yet. My questions today:

1) My stove, I want to clean it..can I hose it down or will I ruin something---same for the frig.(NorCold)

2) The water tank in the front--Replace with what?
hantri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Took my stove out a couple of years ago. It was pretty crudded (is that a word?) up inside and out.
Did the inside and burners with oven cleaner. Then finished cleaning the burners and tubes with wire brushes. Disassembled the top panel where the burners and tubes sit and stripped the old paint and rust, then refinished with a high temp engine paint.
As far as the tank goes, some have gone and had new tanks welded up from stainless or aluminum. Do a search, bet you find more than a few ideas.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Call your local junkyard!

Unless you're frantically trying to conserve and restore everything to factory spec, you can probably find a newish SOB that's been wrecked with a perfectly good stove. Less work if you can find one that is already pretty clean.... And you'll get a newer stove too.

As for the water tank, I say go plastic. Definitely check the search function. I have seen several threads addressing this very topic.

Happy restoring/renovating.!

Paula Ford
Old 03-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
With a garden hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hantri
... My stove, I want to clean it..can I hose it down or will I ruin something---same for the frig.(NorCold)
NO on the stove. As far as the oven portion is concerned, the metal interior that you see is insulated with fiberglass insulation. Since the seams are not welded, water will seep in to the fiberglass. While the fiberglass itself will not be hurt, the water it holds will rust the metal it is mounted against. It will also start smelling after a while.

Also, for both the cooktop & oven, any water that gets into the pilot or burner assemblies will end up rusting something & eventually produce rust flakes which could clog the system and result in non-operation.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Ditto on "NO". We did take ours apart, clean and sand & repaint the body of it. The outside (exposed) appliance paint was good...but the "under burner" area had some neglected overspills which had started to corrode the paint there. Much better now and easy to clean-up any new spills that occur.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1963 19' Globetrotter
Graham , Texas
Thanks for the replies... Our stove has been painted by a PO---DH wants to do without stove--I just love the look of the old. Not experienced enough to know what we want. Do not even know yet if it works.

Paula----I agree definitely plastic for the tank!!
hantri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hantri
Our stove has been painted by a PO---DH wants to do without stove--I just love the look of the old. Not experienced enough to know what we want. Do not even know yet if it works.
Here's a plan:

1) figure out if it works
2) if so, can the paint by PO be removed...try something gentle to strip or just repaint a new color
3) if not, decide if you really want a stove (I hope you mean oven) we love ours! nothing like warm pastrys on a chilly morning
4) don't throw anything away until you are sure...and then offer it to another forum member. "One Airstreamers trash is another's treasure"

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote