Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

, Montana
Appliance Question, Help Please.

When doing a reno, has anyone used household appliances like portable washers, a college fridge and so on? Did you get a converter? Was it worth doing? I am doing a reno (not retro) and I am having a hard time finding the appliance I want, that will fit in the space. But I can find "uncampery" appliances no problem. What do you think?
RocketCramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Sure, people put "non-RV" appliances in trailers all the time. The biggest incentive for replacing something like an RV fridge with a small dorm-style fridge is cost. A dorm fridge will run you around $100, whereas a new RV style fridge will be $700+. So, if you are going to park your trailer in the back yard or in a trailer park, really not move it much, and always have it plugged into an AC circuit, then it is justifiable to use the cheaper appliance (ie., dorm fridge).

If you want to take your trailer on trips and maintain a cold fridge on the road, then a proper RV style fridge makes more sense. If you wanted to try and run a conventional household style fridge off of your coach batteries, you would need to beef up the system significantly (multiple batteries, solar charging system, converter, etc.) By the time you have reworked your power supplies, you could have bought a couple of new RV style fridges.

It also depends on how soon you intend to sell the trailer. Whenever I see a trailer for sale with a dorm fridge instead of a real RV fridge, the red flags immediately go up, as I conclude that this trailer has been spruced up cheaply and superficially, and the owner is trying to make some quick cash with a "flip."

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
check auto junk yards for the units you are looking for. one of the yards here has alot of totaled RV's
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

, Montana
Good idea Airtandem, I don't think our junk yard has a lot but I only need one!
RocketCramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi RocketCramer and welcome to Air Forums. It sounds like you have a vintage Airstream and plan on renewing it over time.

My son has a AC "dorm" fridge in his old Globetrotter. He wanted to avoid the cost of a RV fridge. It is my observation that it doesn't work all that well for him as he likes to boondock a lot.

There are RV salvage yards that may have one that fits your trailer.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Crossville , Tennessee
I bought a 4.5 Frigidair at Lowe's During Veteran's Day Sale. With discounts total with 2 year extended warranty less than 300.00. I don't plan on long trips, but if I do I can use Dry Ice. Just thought I would pass on.
Jbart is offline   Reply With Quote