Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2004, 05:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Adding a microwave to an 87 Sovereign

I recently bought a 1987 25' Sovereign and I'm new to Airstreams. This Sovereign does not have a microwave and we'd like to add one. There's a cabinet above the refer that's not very deep but it appears to have a false press-board back that leads me to believe that there's a bit more space available back there.

Before I tear into this thing and do some damage, I thought I oughta ask and see what others have done about adding microwaves to trailers of this vintage and body style.

Any ideas?
bbrackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 05:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrackman

Before I tear into this thing and do some damage, I thought I oughta ask and see what others have done about adding microwaves to trailers of this vintage and body style.

Any ideas?
Congratulations on your purchase.

I'll make an observation based on my unit.

I have an '87 MH, and the space behind the fridge is necessary for cooling air over the fridge coils, so I don't think you would want to compromise the fridge cooling by invading that space with the back of a microwave.

I know that there are others of that vintage with a microwave installed.

You probably would want to wire in a switch of some sort so that you will not be able to run the AC and the microwave at the same time. This is what was done at the factory to avoid overloading the 30 amp service.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 05:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Barkingspiders Interior

I think Joe has an '87 29', but this may help.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=11190

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 05-18-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

I have a 1988 Excella 25' with out the Micowave. I also have a space above the refer for a micowave. On the top wall within the cabinit space is a 120V outlet. I also have a electrical wall type switch in the overhead cabinit above the sink area. This switch allows you to run either the A/C or microwave. I also find the depth of the cabinit to be very shallow, but do not have additional space behind the back wall.
fbaileysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 07:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I have an '85 Sovereign 25', and can attest to the fact that it would take one very small microwave to fit over the refrigerator. Besides, that is where we store our fine china.

Take a look at my before and after photos for my solution - http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...500&ppuser=139

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 12:42 AM   #6

I recently acquired a 1986 Sovereign and it has a Panasonic microwave above the Dometic fridge. Two oak cabinet doors open to access. The mounting and the screws used indicate that this was original eqpt installed by Airstream. It's small but adequate. I haven't yet found any switches - air vs. microwave?
JoeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 05:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
To j54mark

Mark:

Great job on the interior -- looks fine!

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 05-19-2004, 03:50 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCal
I recently acquired a 1986 Sovereign and it has a Panasonic microwave above the Dometic fridge. Two oak cabinet doors open to access. The mounting and the screws used indicate that this was original eqpt installed by Airstream. It's small but adequate. I haven't yet found any switches - air vs. microwave?
Thanks for the info on the brand of microwave, this will at least give me a possible source to look at.
fbaileysr is offline   Reply With Quote