Old 04-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
The Gorgeous Pac Northwest , Washington
'65 Magic Chef Oven Thermostat

We are trying to finish a few last projects and the oven is one of them. We finally got the oven to work and tried using it. The outcome was charred brownies and smoke. We think the thermostat is bad. Does anyone know if this is a part that is still available? Or any ideas on where to find said part?

Thanks.

Our travel and resto blog:
http://web.me.com/tiffanydanley
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Not yet, I've been looking for 5 years...not giving up yet...I want brownies!

Antiquegasstoves tested mine...bad. They can rebuild, almost $200.

I'm collecting old ones to reverse engineer a fix. I need a few more. If you do find a source for spares please let us know.
Thanks

Old 04-20-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicheVintage View Post
We are trying to finish a few last projects and the oven is one of them. We finally got the oven to work and tried using it. The outcome was charred brownies and smoke. We think the thermostat is bad. Does anyone know if this is a part that is still available? Or any ideas on where to find said part?

Thanks.
I had the exact problem with brownies a number of years ago in our 65 Caravel. After much looking, I found a place that would sell me a rebuilt thermostat with no guarantee for, as I recall, about $100.
I opted for a new Magic Chef range with oven. It fit the hole, and gas hooked up with no problem. Changing it out was a ten minute job. The top of the new range is much easier to clean and it has worked perfectly.

If you want to use the oven, get a new range. Don't mess with the old one.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:05 AM   #4
Site Team

, Minnesota
I got a new Robertshaw thermostat from Stoveparts.net for $125.

Great brownies.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
which part#

WHOA!! Score!

Do you recall which specific Robert Shaw thermostat part number you purchased from the stoveparts.net page?

Did you have any issues installing, hooking it up?

I've spent way more than $125 in time and overpaying my staff engineers (kids) to reverse engineer fix for the old ones. Really, I'll buy two tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for sharing parts source.

I smell brownies at last !
Old 04-27-2011, 01:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
you can calibrate them too, by taking off the knob and using a thermometer in the oven... there is a screw you turn to raise or lower the temp vs the setting
Old 04-27-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
Site Team

, Minnesota
I got the TRM-01001. It's a Robertshaw BJ type with a 250 to 550 degree operating range.

The only issues I ran into during the install was finding the correct orientation and some trimming for access to one of the adjusting screws. As I recall, you can rotate the thermostat rear cover 90 degrees to accomodate different mounting arrangements. Straightforward and covered in the instruction sheet. You can download the instruction sheet at the stoveparts website.

The other issue was access to the pilot adjusting screw, which was blocked by the front frame of the stovetop. It was easy to snip out part of the frame. I used a strip of steel to bridge the gap but that isn't really necessary. The modification isn't visible after you reinstall the front trim panel. Here's a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tstat 006.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	128333  
Old 08-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I got the TRM-01001. It's a Robertshaw BJ type with a 250 to 550 degree operating range.

The only issues I ran into during the install was finding the correct orientation and some trimming for access to one of the adjusting screws. As I recall, you can rotate the thermostat rear cover 90 degrees to accomodate different mounting arrangements. Straightforward and covered in the instruction sheet. You can download the instruction sheet at the stoveparts website.

The other issue was access to the pilot adjusting screw, which was blocked by the front frame of the stovetop. It was easy to snip out part of the frame. I used a strip of steel to bridge the gap but that isn't really necessary. The modification isn't visible after you reinstall the front trim panel. Here's a picture.

I have a 1972 27' International with the Magic Chef Wall oven, thermostat does not work. Here is my model info:
Magic Chef Oven L T932-2SV-B2 12V DC

Will the TRM-01001. Robertshaw BJ thermostat work in my wall oven? anyone replace thermostat in this magic chef wall oven? Really want to get the oven going again.