Old 09-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
2006 Safari SE - Oven won't light

I love our Safari but am having an ongoing problem with the gas oven. Between holding in the pilot knob and reaching in to light the pilot light and turning the knob until the burner lights you pretty much have to be a very well coordinated contortionist in top physical condition to get the stupid thing lit. And often I can't get it lit at all. My wife has given up on it completely and won't even try any more.

Is it me or the oven? Are all of these gas ovens this hard to light? Ideas, recommendations, please ... I'd hate to own this trailer for 20 years and all the while wishing I'd gotten it with the convection microwave instead.

thanks!

Old 09-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Mickleton , New Jersey
I know what you mean. You have to hold the light at least 15 seconds or so to heat up the pilot area as a safety. Once temperature is achieved then the pilot will light. The safety device is to not allow the gas on when no flame present. I am sure other members have some short cuts. We have not used our oven that often.

Larry

2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
mickleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
Dbrad and Larry,

I don't have a new coach but something doesn't sound right. I agree that you have to be a contortionist to get the stove lit but I don't believe that you have to pre-heat the pilot to get it lit. Most require that you hold a prime button while lighting long enough to get heat but it is not necessary to to pre-heat the safety valve. it is required that you hold the prime button for 10-15 seconds and that will usually be enough to keep it lit past the safety valve.

Still a pain but this should not be restrictive.

Joe
Old 09-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Air in propane lines?

Not sure if problem is every time you stop or only if trialer has been stored for a while.. In ours, after a week or more of storage with main valves shut off, it takes a while to get air out of small propane lines.. It's easier to light burners directly with a long-nose butane lighter, and get gas flowing, and then deal with pilot light after first use. Takes some seconds in oven to get gas flowing, but once it does get going, re-lighting the pilot light seems much easier... Your pilot may also need adjusting..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Thanks very much. Perhaps I'm just too impatient - it's very difficult to light every time we try to use it but I think I've probably not been giving it enough time to get the gas supply flowing sufficiently. At least I now know I'm doing the contortionist part correctly!

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
dbradhstream, did you ever get your oven to light? We spent our second night in our 2007 AS last night, and gave up on lighting the oven. I try to be patient, but am also a bit afraid of gas.

Pat
Old 04-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
oven...

Pat, the way we light ours is to turn the knob to "Pilot", then wait 40 seconds and then light the pilot. The flame is not very large and is hard to see if the angle isn't just right. We don't have to push any other knob or button.
Dwight
Old 04-18-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
It's not you, it's hard to light. I pretty much have to get down on the floor, (just so I can see) pushing on the knob and having a torch lighter on the right place. It takes awhile for it to light, maybe waiting for accumulation, warm up or getting it in the right place, but regardless it takes time. I also used to let go too soon.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #9

2005 25' Safari
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The oven in our 2005 25' Safari is also tricky to light. I have to lie on the floor and use a butane stick lighter while holding in the oven dial. We have used the oven a number of times, but it is not my favorite thing to do.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2012 FC 23' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bothell , Washington
OY! Everytime I bend over to light the pilot light my eyeglasses fall off and I can't see...it's like a bad comedy skit...

/Lois
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I found a "shortcut"

Ditto for the contortionist act getting to see the light to make sure it's on.

Here is something very simple - turn on a burner full blast first. This sucks any air out of the line, so the pilot is getting pure propane. I have a cheap little mirror that I've stuck to the bottom of the oven with gum so I can sorta kinda see the pilot light. It'll be destroyed if I ever put a broiling pan under the flame... but when I broil I do it over charcoal outside.

The first few times I tried I had to pull out the bottom shelf and the heat diffuser to access the pilot. Press in on the bottom shelf then you can lift the front and pull it off, the flame diffuser is held on with a single wing nut.

I've thought of drilling a 3/4 inch hole through the heat diffuser and oven shelf right over the pilot so I could light it from above with a match. A feature that was on my Grandma's 1922 gas stove which was left in our basement!

Grrr too cheapass to make an oven with a sparker - grrrr.

Paula

Today is a gift,
that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Crawford , Colorado
Yes, lighting the oven is a pain. We use one of those gas lighters (torch lighter, butane stick lighter are probably the same) which gives some light to actually see the pilot. It's easier with 2 people, one, usually Barb, holding in the valve on the front of the stove, and me on the floor. What takes part of the time is heating up the thermocouple next to the pilot—so you have to hold in the valve until it heats up the thermocouple or the pilot goes out. The thermocouple is there for safety reasons to prevent the main gas valve from staying open if the pilot goes out; if not, boom! A hot thermocouple sends a small amount of electricity to the main gas valve and when the electricity stops flowing when the thermocouple cools down, the valve closes automatically.

It's all the same principle as lighting a gas water heater except there the valve is near the pilot and thermocouple and one person can easily do it.

The alternate way is to turn on the main gas and light the burner which will then light the pilot. The problem with that is too much gas can come out and flash back at you when lit causing a loss of eyebrows and hair among other things—I knew someone that happened to with a stove who tried to light the burner that way. So, although I've done it out of frustration, it's not a good way to do it. Waiting 40 seconds with the pilot on only could cause some flash back, but probably isn't too dangerous. I wouldn't do it. Suppose trying to do it yourself, you accidently turn the valve to the burner position while contorted on the floor, boom! I haven't got enough hair to lose any and a burning beard would not be enjoyable.

I think Barb lit it herself the last time we were out, so it can be mastered by one person, but it is a poor design. The pilot should be at the front so a normal old person could do it.

Look forward to this—eventually the thermocouple will fail and replacing it at the back of the oven will be a genuine pain.

Gene
Old 11-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bothell , Washington
Found msucles I didn't think I had...LOL!
We were laughing...

/Lois
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
The ovens are all the same. I've found that if I light a stove burner first, the oven is much easier to light. I presume it gets propane in the line faster. Who knows. You still have to get down your knees to light the pilot.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote