Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
2004 Amana oven problem

Ok, been using my oven nearly every trip. This last trip I found something had gone terribly wrong with the oven. Tried to light it and flames shot out of the oven. Turned the gas off immediately, and grabbed a flashlight.

What I found was just too unreal.

The LP line that feeds the pilot/thermocouple had totally sheared off from the pilot light/thermocouple assembly. From the look of it, this pipe goes to into the rear wall of the oven. It would seem to me that I will need to replace the entire section of this alum type pipe and most likely have to yank the oven out of it's location.

Anyone seen this or have had to replace the gas feed line on one of these newer type Amana ovens?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I experienced the same problem. I pulled the unit and attempted to replace the entire line but was unsuccessful at finding the right one(mine is a 2000 AS) I ordered one from an appliance parts place on line, but when it arrived it was the wrong part. I ended up putting a compression fitting on the line and reattaching it. It took a while to locate the right size compression fitting, the big box stores didn't have it. I ended up locating one at a store that installed gas lights and bbq grills. I don't remember the size for sure but think it was 1/8".

This seems to be a chronic problem, that the vibration causes metal fatigue and the line fails.

My suggestion is to get a 1/8" and 3/16" compression fitting and use the right one to reconnect the line. You don't have to pull the unit if you do this.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
WOW!!!

Can you post some pics so I know what to look for or monitor?

This sounds like a significant reliability design flaw to me...
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Twink.

This could have brought a whole new meaning to having a blast while camping...

Seriously though, I shall check mine if our unit hasn't been stolen from our storage place yet.

You might want to try this place:

RV Parts and Accessories for Sale

I had to order a new plastic ignitor knob, you know, the one on the far right of the stove that has a lot of play and felt like it was broken anyway.

When I called Amana, er Maytag, or GE (all these companies get bought up) they wanted close to 30 bucks for this piece of crap.

I called PPL, and they were very nice, but sent the wrong knob(s). They corrected that and finally got the right one for a fraction of the cost that AmanaMaytagGEwhoever wanted. They even have pictures of most of their stuff so you can actually see the part. Their site sucks and things are not always in places where they should, so I'd call and go over it with customer service.

I use the word knobs (plural) because whenever something break on our unit, I've learned to order things in multiples so that when, not if, another failure occurs.

You will need the model number and the serial number of your stove.

Let us know how this works out.

Oh and one last thing: I wouldn't use the oven till you get it fixed!

Best to the Mrs.

Jonathan
Old 09-01-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
same problem with Amana oven in 2003 Classic 25'

Silver T... amazing! We just now (today) experienced this exact same problem - tried to light the oven pilot light without success, and then flames shot out of the oven (from the broiler/pilot light area). Like you, we shut off the gas, grabbed a flashlight and, on further inspection of the oven, we found that the gas line to the oven/pilot light had broken at the nut that secures it to the burner. We're not sure how this happened, but we also think it may be due to the vibration of being on the road. We have only used our AS on normal paved roads, but over the past couple of years we have put about 12,000 miles on this 2003 trailer (we're second owners and purchased it in late 2005).

Below is a photo of what we saw. Did you contact Jackson Center for their input?

George and Pat

ghatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Exactly what mine looks like and I mean EXACTLY. I hadn't even considered contacting the factory since I'm out of warranty. Next trip out to the Safari in storage, I was going to verify the model and get a new part, hoping that this one also won't shear off. I wonder if they torqued the nut too much. I can't fathom this type of piping, specifically designed to be in a moving RV would do this in the EXACT same manner on two separate units....
Old 09-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I'm looking at George's photo, and noticed the line seems to have a kink in the part of it nearest the oven wall. My thought is either it was overtightened (hence the kink) or something may have slid into it during use (and the kink is really a bend).
Old 09-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Knew there was some reason I never used my oven other than the fact I can't cook! Seriously this sounds to me like a potentially very serious problem and I think every one who has experienced this should get in touch with Airstream right away. It might even be serious enough to warrant a recall.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #9
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Terry,

I think the kink you see in the photo is actually two seperate lines coming out the wall of the oven, and not a kink. One of the lines goes to the thing on the side of the oven on the left side of the photo.

Either way, this has gone from mildly irritating to downright alarming.

I'll be checking my connection(s) later this week.

Jonathan
Old 09-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #10
_

. , .
twink, hatfield and others with ovens...

very scary and totally unacceptable!

vibration should NOT cause an issue like this in relatively NEW trailer, unless the oven is loose in the enclosure.

there are 30 year old unit operating JUST FINE.

i don't have a gas oven,

but this info needs to be widely distributed to all that do.

we really need a recalls and URGENT notice forum with only credible issues like this one posted.

that is the sort of immediate value and power of this venue, if tapped correctly.

wow.

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
George got a flashlight out and checked - there is no kink in the line. As Crazylev pointed out, what you're seeing is two lines coming from the back wall. Terry, with regard to a bend in the line, I've never broiled in this oven, so nothing could have slid into the line (hence the dust in the photo - George grabbed the camera before I could clean for the photo op!). We just sent a note to Jackson Center, so we'll see what they say/advise.... Pat

Old 09-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #12
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
The issue should be taken up with Amana, or who ever owns Amana now, along with Jackson Center.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I may call Jackson Center to see what they say. Until there is a recall, I'm betting this is on our dime.

If it were just my unit I might not call, but the pic posted here is an exact issue of what mine looks like. It has to have been over torqued. I can't see how vibration did this and frankly, it may have been cracked for a while...I just didn't notice until my face was nearly cooked by what became a flame thrower.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #14

2005 30' Classic S/O
LAS CRUCES , New Mexico
Works Great

Dont have any problem with mine....
SILVER HAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER HAPPY View Post
Dont have any problem with mine....
Glad to hear it. Mine worked well too up until a bit over a month ago.....
Old 09-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatfield View Post
We just sent a note to Jackson Center, so we'll see what they say/advise.... Pat
This morning we received the following not-our-problem response from Jackson Center regarding our 2003 Classic 25:
George,

Below I have linked and provided the phone number to Amana. I am truly sorry you have had this occur. You are asking if this is a warranted situation. I am showing this past the Airstream warranty. This is why I would suggest calling Amana direct to see if they have anything on this.

Amana/Maytag

1-800-843-0304
1-800-545-9086 rv Press 5
www.amana.com
http://www.amana.com/custserv/contact.jsp

Jim
We are currently on the road (near Zion National Park today) and, since we'll be back home in a week (after our month-long tour of western National Parks), we'll follow up with Amana/Maytag then. We can certainly do without the oven for the remainder of the trip.

We'll continue to keep the forum posted on the outcome of this problem.

Pat

Old 09-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Repair

I had the same problem and after chasing many bunny trails, I ended up putting a compression ring on the aluminum tube and reconnecting. No problems since the repair. I don't remember the compression ring size but it was less that 1/4 and I couldn't find one at a big box. I thing it was either 1/8 or 3/16.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ok, I called Airstream and they even had my oven's serial number!

I am right now on the phone with Amana looking to see what they come up with....more to come....
Old 09-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ok, just got off the phone. They faxed me a parts list and diagram (that I will try to attach here). Looking at the diagram, I am unsure which part I need yet, but I am farther than I was before.

The folks on the phone told me to look at the diagram, find the part in question, then call their parts dept at 800-442-9991.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf img-9021230-0001.pdf (74.0 KB, 247 views)
Old 09-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Wow....this is very alarming! We have had no problems in our 2004 Classic, so far; but, we rarely use the oven. I think it's scary enough just lighting the pilot....and, sometimes the burners My other half and I will be inspecting our oven today....thanks for the picture post, which really narrows down what to look for.

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU