Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
1973 Wall Oven

Couple of questions about my wall oven:

1) How do you light the wall oven in a 73 Ambassador, if its manual light, can it be converted to use an ignitor?

2) It doesnt look as if it was ever used or lit & i cant hear or smell gas going to it.

3) How much does it weigh? Ive thought of removing it and placing a microwave in its place.
L911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
Removed it today 3 lower bolts, 3 upper screws, also removed the rear "cabinet". Cleared alot of space above the bunk. Now what do i "repair" the hole with? Paneling or somethink slick?

PS the oven does weigh alot, much heavier than i thought it would be. Found a vintage matchbook, stock door screen door handle, black comb & lots of mouse poo. LOL
Old 09-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I did a major overhaul of my kitchen, including removal of the wall oven. Here's a picture of what my kitchen looks like now. I covered the entire wall with a sheet of aluminum. In the bedroom, I covered the hole with a piece of 1/4" plywood which was stained to match the existing 70's plastic-wood veneer. I custom-made a wood box to cover the back side of the electric outlet in the kitchen which protrudes into the bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010805 (Small).JPG
Views:	174
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	167534  
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
Wall Oven

Looks great! I had an extra wall from a scrap Argosy, I cut out a section to match & liquid nailed it to the existing wall, to cover the oven hole. When i replace the kitchen cabinet, I think Ill use your idea, it looks great. Where did you get the thin aluminum sheets?

1) Is there a cut off valve under the cabinet or trailer so i can remove the gas line from the old wall oven?

2) The electrical that ran to the wall oven, is that 110 or 12 volt?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
When I get around to that part of my renovation plan, I want to remove the oven but use that space for the microwave.

Even at my height (6'4") the bump above my feet in the sleeping area is no problem. In fact, I use the shelf it makes to keep the remotes for the TV, media player and satellite box.

Otherwise, I have to give up pantry space to get the microwave in a good spot.

ps: your galley area looks fabulous, Winestream!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by L911 View Post
Looks great! I had an extra wall from a scrap Argosy, I cut out a section to match & liquid nailed it to the existing wall, to cover the oven hole. When i replace the kitchen cabinet, I think Ill use your idea, it looks great. Where did you get the thin aluminum sheets?

1) Is there a cut off valve under the cabinet or trailer so i can remove the gas line from the old wall oven?

2) The electrical that ran to the wall oven, is that 110 or 12 volt?
I got the aluminum sheet from a local metal supply shop. I bought two 4'x8' sheets of the thinnest alum. they had.

There is a shut-off valve for the propane line to the oven under the trailer. It likely won't seal off real well so head to you local home improvement store or hardware and get a screw-on flare cap. Use some thread tape and it'll all be good. For me it was no issue though since I was re-using the same line to feed the stove / oven combo that I added. I bent the line to the other side of the galley area and connected it to the new one.

The elec. to the oven should have been 12V. Enough to run the light bulb and that's it!
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
LP gas has its own special yellow tape. I didn't believe it worked until I replaced my distribution valve last summer: the old white tape was ragged and deteriorated.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
JT

1973 27' Overlander
El Paso , Texas
I removed the wall oven in our 1973 Overlander and installed a convection microwave in the space and had a storage shelf underneath. Our grandchildren love the biscuits we cook for breakfast while camping in the mountains. I would have liked to have kept the gas oven but parts are difficult to find and the convection microwave is versatile and we don't bake much. I have tried to keep everything looking original but sometimes it is a balancing act. Until you look at the microwave our 73 Overlander it looks like a time capsule, but the trade-off is quick baked potatoes and hot biscuits. If the world goes "to hell in a handbag" we will bake potatoes in a fire-pit. Probably will not ne able to buy potatoes or gas for an oven anyway.
jimbob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
JT

1973 27' Overlander
El Paso , Texas
I flattened the gas supply supply line that goes to the oven underneath the trailer between the entry door and wheel-well and soldered it (with the gas off at the tank and off at the valve between the tank and the solder joint). I plan to use that valve to provide gas to a detachable outside stove.
jimbob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
wall oven

I agree. I have a fire pit ready. LOL