Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2006, 11:16 PM   #1

1973 Safari Land Yacht Kitchen 12 Volt Exhaust

Just got to my over-the-stove Exhaust fan. PO cut the wires and removed them. All that is left is fan and electrical contact switch. I tested the fan with direct 12 volt and it works. Hot wires are above in galley cabinet. Any help on how to rewire to original is appreciated. I'm lost on this one.
gean235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:47 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If your setup is like the one in my 75 Trade Wind, it works like this.
My exhaust fan has a flip up door on the outside of the trailer. The door opens wirh a cable that is connected to a lever which is part of the control pannel located above the stove. When the lever is moved to open, the cable opens the doot and the arm makes contact with a switch which then puts 12 volts on the wire to the fan. When the lever is moved to closed, the switch is deactivated, the fan stops and the cable closes the door. Hope this helps.....

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:04 AM   #3

Thanks Richard, Mine is the exact but I just do not know how to run the electrical lines. PO cut them off at the motor (about 3" left) and then obviously removed all the wire (it is gone) except for two hot wires in the cabinet above. I will have to run new added electrical wire but I just do not know how to connect it to the lever switch (in conjunction with) and then back to the exhaust fan motor once again. Thanks.. Morris
Old 12-31-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
switch

hi- am not able to get into my '72 right now to look but you just wire it so the switch is inbetween the hot wires in your cabinet, and the motor. When you move that lever, it closes the circuit in the switch to supply 12V to the motor. I believe that one of the wires in the cabinet would go directly to the fan motor, the other would go to one of the switch terminals, and then from the other terminal to the motor. You do still have the switch, right? if not, you'll have to get one.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Find the +12 volt line. It goes to the C (common) terminal on the switch. Run a wire from the NO (normally open) terminal on the switch to the fan motor. Run another wire from the other fan motor wire to 0 volts (ground). When the switch is made, the circut is complete and the fan should run. If it runs backwards, reverse the wires at the motor.
Attached Images

Richard

Old 12-31-2006, 01:52 PM   #6

Thanks Tphan as that was the PERFECT answer. Just went out and now it work great other than not turning very fast but it is probably old like me. Another question please since you got a 1972 and me a 1973. The electric water pump under the sink. The only time that I have ever heard it work is when I use a rocker switch in the front overhead master control panel. Should that be the case? Thank again.. Morris
Old 12-31-2006, 02:09 PM   #7

Thanks azflycaster as I appreciate your help equally. Have a safe and Happy new Year. Morris
Old 12-31-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The switch on the control pannel supplies power to the water pump. The pump will only operate when the switch is on. When the switch is on the pump will run untill it builds up enough pressure to activate the pressure switch in the pump. Once the pump has pressurized the system it should not run untill you open a water tap. When you first turn on the pump you should open the taps to remove any air that is in the lines. It takes several minutes to fill all the lines and the water heater when you first activate the pump.

Happy New Year to you!

Richard

Old 12-31-2006, 03:09 PM   #9

Thanks azflycaster.. Is it then necessary to turn off the rocket panel switch after it has cycled as you explained? I paid too much for my 1973 23' Foot Safari Land Yacht but the experience and advice of fellow members like yourself makes it all worthwhile and a Joy. Been working on the interior for about 5 weeks and maybe 50% done. Have done nothing at all on the exterior. I do know that everything on top will need new gasket seals if I can find them and know exactly what each is called. Thanks again my friend... I have been only once to Phoenix in March of 1980 on a short pass from Yuma Proving Grounds and got my one and only tatoo on my right shoulder there. We were training out there then for the Iranian Hostage rescue as they were being illegally held by the Iranian Government and you know the rest of the story..Morris
Old 12-31-2006, 05:50 PM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We tend to leave the pump switch on all the time when we are camping. If we take off for the day we will turn it off. We will also turn the pump off at night to keep the noise down on a midnight potty call. You can get about 3 flushes with out the pump when the system is pressurized.

Back in 80 I was working for IBM. I had weekend coverage and was dispatched a service call on an Air Force system that was located in the tower at Luke Air Force base. When I got to the top of the tower I was greeted by 2 AP's with M-16s. They were doing a dry run of the Iranian rescue mission that day.

Richard

Tags
12 volt