Old 07-21-2017, 04:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Well, here is a study on water boiling. Their amount of water in the test is .75 liters or 3.17 cups. Look how long it took. You will find that the other guy's two minutes per cup is about right. I dont think anything is wrong with your stove.

http://blog.us.schott.com/boiling-po...s-to-the-test/

Old 07-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Well, here is a study on water boiling. Their amount of water in the test is .75 liters or 3.17 cups. Look how long it took. You will find that the other guy's two minutes per cup is about right. I dont think anything is wrong with your stove.

http://blog.us.schott.com/boiling-po...s-to-the-test/
In dismissing gas cooking as less efficient, the author of that article missed a couple of important points about why I prefer cooking with gas, though. It's easier to control the heat applied (visual cues from the flame) and much easier/faster to CHANGE the amount of heat applied. I'm given to understand that induction is even better, but I haven't spent much time using that yet. I was recently given a portable induction cooker and I'm about to order some Magma cookware for the Flying Cloud so I may play with induction some more, but I'm not likely to trade the Wolf range in the house for some electric thing.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:50 PM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Or one could just buy a $300 kettle to optimize the gas heat...

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/simpl...=1500673720512

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
LOL well I burn food on my outdoor induction plate when I Camp and I too prefer gas for control. Eggs are my test food. My father tried to cook bacon on my gas grill (he cooks it three times a week or so on electric) and burned it to a crisp- nice black strips. Induction is tricky to me, like microwave cooking but in a pan. I learned how to regulate it now but even then getting the temperature right would take practice. Mine does it by temperature not low med hi.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:48 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Sarasota , Florida
Water is hot, coffee is good.
Don't worry be ��
Old 07-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I'm curious if my oven and stove are operating correctly. I used my Corning 9 cup glass percolator and timed how long it takes to get it to a rolling boil....13 minutes as it turns out.

The flame doesn't really adjust to a high or low setting, just a constant blue flame.

Does that seem right or do I have an. Issue like a bad regulator Attachment 290013Attachment 290014?

Thx
The 'standard' test is; low long does it take to boil an 8 oz cup of water?
3-5 minutes is considered ok.
(This test is used for backpacking stoves.)
I'm told, but haven't confirmed that a standard stove test is one quart of water, in 4-5 minutes.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:00 PM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Unless you know the BTU rating on the burner, there is no "magic number". A 500 BTU / Hr burner will not boil water as fast as a 5,000 BTU / Hr burner. It takes 1 BTU to raise 1 lb of water 1 F. If you start from 72 F and want to get to 212 you need to heat the water 140F. If you have just under a pint of water, that's a pound. So a bit less than pint of water takes about 140 BTU. If your burner is a 500 BTU / Hr (the hour part is often left off in spec sheets...) then 60 x 140 / 500 = 16.8 minutes. If it's a 5,000 BTU burner, it will take 1.68 minutes.

Yes, it's a bit more complicated than this. The numbers on burners often are inflated by some "interesting" assumptions. You rarely will get more than 50 to 70% of the "rated" heat out of a burner doing this kind of test. That's on day one with a brand new burner. You also loose heat off the water as it gets hotter due to evaporation of the water. The list of details goes on and on ....

Bob
Old 07-27-2017, 09:32 PM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
So far, rodsterinfl is the only one to mention altitude as a contributing factor. On average, for every 500 feet of altitude— actually "density altitude," a term known to pilots but few others, that translates barometric pressure to a standard-atmosphere altitude equivalent— the boiling point of water goes down by 1°F. So it takes less heat to boil water— but cooking requires that the water boil for a longer period to get the food (or beverage, like coffee) to the right temperature.

Also, at higher altitudes, the air contains less oxygen, and you don't get as much heat out of your flame, either, because the propane flame requires the proper air-fuel mixture, and there's less oxygen to support combustion. You're getting less heat out of the same burner setting. At just 3000 feet, atmospheric pressure averages only 90% of sea level. At a mile above sea level (Denver), the atmospheric pressure is only 82% of sea level pressure.

As you can see, altitude alone affects cooking in multiple ways, so unless you and a buddy are parked side-by-side and using the same make and model of stove, you really can't say if yours is taking longer than it should to do the job.

That was the long answer. The short answer is, as long as your food gets cooked and your coffee gets perked, don't worry if it takes longer than you think it should. It's worth the wait.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #23
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I'm curious if my oven and stove are operating correctly. I used my Corning 9 cup glass percolator and timed how long it takes to get it to a rolling boil....13 minutes as it turns out.

The flame doesn't really adjust to a high or low setting, just a constant blue flame.

Does that seem right or do I have an. Issue like a bad regulator Attachment 290013Attachment 290014?

Thx
Looks good to me, get a proper thin metal tea kettle and it will go much faster
Old 08-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Just as an 'aside'; which has the more BTUs; Propane, or Natural Gas?
I'm having a problem with a new BBQ that is colder than a 'night ladies' heart.
I want to cook a steak, NOT bake a cake.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Just as an 'aside'; which has the more BTUs; Propane, or Natural Gas?

I want to cook a steak, NOT bake a cake.
Propane has more BTUs per cubic foot of gas than does natural gas.

If you want to cook a steak at altitude, you might be better off with charcoal. Or a George Foremen electric indoor grill (the very idea is sacrilege to a charcoal devotee like myself, but you do what you got to do— better to grill on electric than not grill at all).
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Propane has more BTUs per cubic foot of gas than does natural gas.

If you want to cook a steak at altitude, you might be better off with charcoal. Or a George Foremen electric indoor grill (the very idea is sacrilege to a charcoal devotee like myself, but you do what you got to do— better to grill on electric than not grill at all).
I prefer Charcoal too; but DW is not favourably impressed with it.
So I have Natural Gas; and my Cuisinarte main burners are good to bake a cake, not cook a steak. However.......
The sear burner on the right, does the job on a steak.
And the aft rotisserie burner does good on the rod.

BTW: Our Altitude is 830' ASL.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:27 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
. . .
Ditto on the charcoal, but if not available, get a cast iron grill pan with the raised ridges, fire it hot, and throw the steak on it after seasoning with S&P and a little EVOO.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008P8Y0LE?psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=289821

It will splatter like hell but works over all heat sources, including our little Iwatani 15,000 BTU butane burner.

The Stella's Kitchen forum has a thread on cast iron cookware, which can be used over all heat sources including campfires and lasts forever.