Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Yellow corrosion powder?

Greetings -

I was checking inside exterior fridge compartment today on our Pete, a 2014 27fb. I have found what appears to be corrosion buildup on the bottom curve of the cooling unit tube and also a tiny puddle of moisture under the buildup, see pic.

This is a Dometic RM3762RBX that maintains 32-33 degrees on temp readout at controls on setting 5. Under warranty so probably a dealer trip soon but I just wonder what it is ? Any ideas ? Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1405979552.925374.jpg
Views:	859
Size:	697.7 KB
ID:	217029

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I think yellow powder is a sign of an ammonia leak, but usually when I have seen it the fridge would not be working. OI certainly would have an expert look at it if it is still under warranty.
Might just be some residue from when it was built since it is so new
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Looks like a sodium chromate leak to me. That's the anti corrosive that is found inside the cooling unit, along with water, ammonia and hydrogen. Amazing that it's still
working! Definitely have it checked by an authorized Dometic service center.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
It will likely lose cooling ability sometime soon. Could be days or weeks. Get it serviced pronto!
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Mine died yesterday (Dometic RM-2662 circa '06) an after I got the smell finally vented I saw a large area of that 'yellow stuff' (low tech observation) under the now shut off cooling unit.

BTW: DO NOT allow the GAS/PROPANE burner to come on, you could be asking for an explosion or fire. Many of the Dometic RM 2662's et al have a recall to install a shield in case of a leak.
Attached Images

RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetED View Post
Mine died yesterday (Dometic RM-2662 circa '06) an after I got the smell finally vented I saw a large area of that 'yellow stuff' (low tech observation) under the now shut off cooling unit.

BTW: DO NOT allow the GAS/PROPANE burner to come on, you could be asking for an explosion or fire. Many of the Dometic RM 2662's et al have a recall to install a shield in case of a leak.
No Worries! If your cooling unit has leaked to the point shown in your photo, there is nothing left to combust! The only time you get a fire in an RV from a fridge is when it is on the heat cycle (either LP OR electric) and a leak forms at the boiler tube section of the unit.

That's when pressurized, super heated ammonia will spew over the hot surfaces of the boiler tube and combust. No pressure (older leak), no ammonia.......no combustion!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
No Worries! If your cooling unit has leaked to the point shown in your photo, there is nothing left to combust! The only time you get a fire in an RV from a fridge is when it is on the heat cycle (either LP OR electric) and a leak forms at the boiler tube section of the unit.

That's when pressurized, super heated ammonia will spew over the hot surfaces of the boiler tube and combust. No pressure (older leak), no ammonia.......no combustion!

Good Point! Mine was a total & quick failure, luckily while operating on AC. The photo posted at the beginning of this thread (ShinyPete) looks like a slow leak and that could be an issue. Just a word to the wise.

Now to continue to vent the trailer and clean that mess up.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Just please be aware of one thing: It is a commonly held belief that a leaking gas/absorption (RV) fridge can not cause a fire when being operated on the electric element. Many believe that it can ignite only when the open LP flame is on..THIS IS NOT CORRECT !!

I have personally seen 2 fires that started at the RV fridge when they were plugged in to shore power and operating on the electric element. It CAN and DOES happen! Even when the power is removed by the so-called 'recall' high temperature safety device, there is enough latent heat in the hot (up to 600ºF) heating elements to cause combustion of the super heated ammonia now escaping from a leak at the boiler tube section.

Be VERY careful out there!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #10
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
OK now you guys are worrying me about a fire. It looks like it is possible when operating if there is a leak at the "boiler tube section" from the posts above.............? Is my leak at the named area?

My dealer has seen the picture and said it's leaking in an odd area...........He certainly didn't say "do not use it until you get it in here!!! Not even scheduled to take it in until Aug 5th at this point. Further thoughts?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Even a small leak will eventually lead to no cooling in the unit. They simply won't cool at all when there is no refrigerant mix remaining in the cooling unit. And YES, I would definitely be concerned about using a leaking unit!

If you dealer does not share this concern and you are still under Dometic's 2 year warranty, then find another factory authorized Dometic service center who will address your situation promptly and properly.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #12
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
I just wanted to close the loop and give you all an update on the yellow corrosion issue with our fridge. The unit lasted 2+ more weeks at our summer site, and actually was operating perfectly. We shut it down this morning (did not run on gas per recs above) and took it to the dealer for a new Dometic Cooling Unit that is to arrive early next week.

Thanks for your help on this issue!