Old 09-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #29
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Resurrection of an old thread....first the pics, then the explanation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8780 (766x1024).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	167894   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8781 (1024x766) (2).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	167895  

Name:	DSCN8783 (1024x766).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	167896   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8782 (1024x766).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	167897  

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #30
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
It's all about airflow

...across the back of the coils, that is.

We haven't had much of a chance to camp in the Airstream since I started this thread last fall. So, I'm just getting around to fixing the problem, here goes.

In post 22 of this thread, you'll see a couple of threads here on the forum about airflow. In one of those threads, somebody mentioned a contraption by Snyder RV Refrigeration Snyders RV Refrigeration - Home. Cost is about $85 delivered.

The problem at hand is that the freezer will cool down just fine, but the fridge never or rarely gets very cold. The reason for this is that the coils at the top, back of the fridge can't cool down properly. These coils are the part of the system that work in the fridge portion (NOT the freezer). Hot air builds up behind the unit preventing the coils from cooling and keeping them very warm.

The system I bought from Snyder is incredibly simple and quite ingenious. In the first pic above, you'll see a piece of gutter downspout, like the kind you might have on your house. At the bottom of the spout is a small computer "muffin" fan. All this thing does is force air up and thru the coils to remove the heat from those coils.

The last picture shows a heat sensor attached to the heating tube coming from the heating chamber below. It causes the fan to kick on after the system reaches a certain threshold temp (don't know what that is, but it kicked on about a half hour after I cranked up the fridge). It will, of course, shut down the fan when the heating element shuts down conserving energy and hopefully extending the life of the fan.

Air No. 6427
Old 09-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #31
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
I installed this setup this afternoon and turned it on about 6 hours ago. The temp in the freezer is about zero, fridge about 49 degrees. At the moment, the fridge is just sitting out in the floor n front of the sink in the galley. If things continue to go well, the fridge should be down to about 40 degrees by morning. If all goes well, I'm going to re-install the fridge back in the in it's normal position in the morning. That's when the real test begins, once the cabinetry is back around the unit and the back is pushed back up close to the wall.

I'll keep you all up to date.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 09-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #32
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Very interested to hear how this works for you Jim. I recently bought a used (probably about year 2000) fridge to replace the electric one that came with the TT, and the DW is very worried it won't cool enough.

Would you have any photos of the front of the empty fridge space so that I can see how the cabinet connects to the refer? The PO removed parts of it, from what I can see. I know there are a total of 6 screws to hold the refer in, but I need to have a tighter fit around all the opening, according to the Installation Manual, and I do not see exactly how that should work.

How did the repair of your cabinet issues go by the way?
Old 09-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Air flow is the solution, perhaps

Jim
Sounds like we are going down a similar road. I also had the same issue with my refrigerator not cooling when the freezer did. I installed similar fans but in a little different configuration. (see photo) I have three fans below the coils that can be switched progressively 1, 2 or all three. With out the gutter assembly it is possible for the air to flow through the coil with out the fans on and the fans only turn on when the temp reaches the preset temp. In the photo you show there is no option for the air to flow naturally and you may actually be restricting the amount of air that is going across the fins at either end of the coil. Air likes to flow in a straight line so the fins in the middle are getting a lot of air but the ones on the end are getting less. After doing the modification in the photo I was able to increase the efficiency of my refrigerator, but it still would loose the game when the outside temp reached 75 F. After speaking with David Force at RV Cooling Unit Warehouse LLC Home Page
he convinced me that there was a blockage in the tubing that is inside the back wall of the fridge. I bit the bullet and purchased a replacement coil @ $500 and replaced it with ease. I did reinstall the fans as shown just to be safe. Note there is a piece of aluminum on the exterior of the fins to keep the air going through them, but nothing stopping the air in to the bottom.

The refrigerator cools as well as the freezer does now with out the fans on. I did a few experiments and found that I can actually decrease the cooling time by turning on the fans. This is perfect for me. I can run with out the fans if the outside temps are cool as it is now here in North Carolina, or I can turn the fans on and cool more quickly (cycle times) when I am down in GA and the temp is above 90 degrees in the shade.

Having pulled the fridge several times to work on it I know what a pain it can be to get it in and out. I would not advise limiting the amount of air flow with the gutter attachment. On a similar note I also mounted two fans below the roof vent (also switched) So I can be sure that the air that goes across the fins ultimately gets pushed out the roof of the trailer so it can not recirculate around the fins again.

Good luck in your efforts to keep you beer cold as well as your ice-cream.

Your results may vary, Photo is for reference purposes only, actual condition/color/style may vary! No guarantees are made for international shipments; seller takes no responsibility for items lost or stolen in transit!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6925806785_a25d12079f_b.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	167912  

'92 Excella 29'
Dodge Ram 1500
AIR # 59179
TAC NC-12
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

I have a Dometic 3804 up for grabs with a bad cooling unit, but could be great for parts.
I'm in Cumming Ga if anybody wants it.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #35
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Solution found: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ml#post1356915

Air No. 6427