Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2003, 08:03 PM   #1
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Wood Inserts on the Fridge?

I just read over on the Airstreamer Forum that the wood inserts on the fridges eventually crack or split.

This has me concerned because when we ordered our 34' Classic we were informed the fridge would come as stainless steel.

Petunia had a mild panic attack because she really wanted the look of wood. Well, the good guys at Toscanos called the factory and got them to change it to wood from stainless.

Also, we upgraded to 10 cubic feet at the same time.

So now we are thinking of changing back to the stainless model. So tell me .. oh wise and thoughtful experts .. is this true .. or am I just being paranoid?

One more thing .. a few months before we ordered our AS .. we saw a 2000 34' Classic at Toscanos ... and noticed that the wood insert was so badly warped that it would not fit into the side grooves.

This leads me to believe that there has been a problem?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 08:40 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

My oak inserts are five years old without a cracked yet.

Solid wood panels need to stay at a relatively constant temperature and humidity level to prevent wood movement. It is not possible to do that in a trailer in most climates or in most houses for that mater. However, if the panel is allowed to float inside the frame of the refrigerator, it is less likely to warp or split.

If a panel is assembled correctly, alternating annual growth rings, the warping will be minimized.

There are a number of remedies for a warped panel that any good wood worker can perfrom. Cutting a number of continous dovetail groves perpendicular to the grain and sliding a strip of hardwood or metal dovetail strip in the grove has worked for me on a number of restorations.

Hopely others with older trailers will chime in with their experiences with wood refrigerator inserts.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:52 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
both?

porky

my oak insert on my '92 looks like the day it left the factory.

why not get both inserts? then you could swap it for whatever mood suits you.

if the oak one fails then you would have the stainless one as a backup.

john
Old 11-07-2003, 09:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up 84 and, still looking

My wood faced panel still looks great~
Hasn't warpped or cracked yet...20 yrs old this month as the unit was built in Nov., '83. (as an '84 year model.)

I suppose alot has to do with location and how it's used.

Stainless steel has its place and, I wished I had some on the shower stall walls..I just hate this cheap wallpaper crap that A/S used in the past..This is one area in my unit I'd love to get more use of..Sorry, I didn't mean to get off track here but, at some point in the past, I honestly feel there were things about the real world usuage the A/S designers were out to lunch~IMHO
The newer units now come with molded ABS stall..

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 07:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Hart:

IMHO you cannot make sweeping generalizations about the quality of the new Airstreams. Legitimate complaints have been voiced by others regarding specific QC problems that seem to have occured with some of the 2002 and early 2003 models. To make an unfounded and wholesale condemnation of an entire product based on specific, and generally correctable, flaws in the manufacturing process is simply not credible. Should the flaws have been detected before the unit was delivered? Absolutely - but as long as the human element is involved mistakes will be made. Many owners of older Airstreams, who have traded up over the years, have reported in this forum, and others, that they have not seen noticeable changes in Airstream quality. I based my purchase on these voices of experience and my personal inspection. Is my Airstream flawless? Not hardly - but there isn't anything else on the market that even comes close with respect to quality of design and construction.

I had to replace the transmission on my new truck in the first 500 miles. Does that mean that all GM trucks with the Duramax/Allison are junk? Read the reports from other owners before making any sweeping generalizations!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 07:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Hart, you got something specific to complain about, then say it. Give us particulars. Are Airstreams overpriced? I think so, that's why I have no plans to buy one. But about 1,000 people a year disagree, and do so voluntarily with their own money.

As far as the Refrigerators are concerned, Thor doesn't make them. Nor the inserts. And the available suppliers to choose from is exactly two. Wood will split, eventully. Exactly when depends upon climatic conditions - somewhere between five and 40 years. New inserts can be purchased, or even new ones made by any competent cabinet maker.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 08:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
mine is warped too

My fridge panel is warped too, however, it has nothing to do with AS. This is a Dometic fridge that was replaced just two years ago by previous owner. Can't blame that on AS.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 09:05 AM   #8
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Thanks to everyone ... except Hart ... for their response.

I do understand that this is a Dometic problem .. I was just trying to get a feel for how bad it is out there.

I haven't had a chance lately to go look at one up close .. so I can't remember .. are those panels easy to slide out?

I know they are held in by grooves on the sides .. what about the top?

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 11-08-2003, 10:25 AM   #9
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
On the Dometic's the panels are held in on all 4 edges. The bottom and sides are fixed. The top is a removeable trim piece that is held on with 3-4 screws. The trim cap (top) is removed and the panel "should" slide up and out. I say should because one refer I had, an enterprising PO used some sort of adhesive behind the panel and it came out in pieces .
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 11:14 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Wood Inserts on Fridge

Porky,

Our wood insert on our 69 Overlander is still nice after 34 years.

Don't know why, but maybe we just got lucky.

Gloria & Don
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Texas
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 11:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Porky
Our insert looks like the day it was put in, last year. Has not cracked yet. However Hart does have a point. Our AS has had many problems that I fixed myself because of the cost of taking it back to the dealer. One of the wood galley cabinets just fell a part when there was not enought of those cheap stapels in the corner support. When we replaced the new carpet we couldn't believe ow many stapels missed the seam completly. We removed about nine of them and replace them properly before putting down the new wood floor. Also the hot water switch was put in backwards, off was on and on was off, but thank goodness the switch was bad also or the water heater element would have burnt out. There were many other things poorly built or installed.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 06:03 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Wood inserts

Porky,
The wood inserts on my 78 Excella were warped. I replaced them with aluminum. Not all that satisfactory, but if anyone knows where I can get stainless I would appreciate a note.

One other consideration, there is a lot of same color wood and laminate in the coaches and the stainless breaks that up. A personal preference of mine.

Congrats on your new coach and tow vehicle. You have the best of both worlds regardless of the refer inserts. Enjoy Airstreaming.

Vic
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 06:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Hart
Most anything you buy that is as complex as a Airstream, airplane or even your home all come with problems, it is virtually unavoidable. However the Airstream is by far, THE MOST WELL BUILT Motor Home or Travel Trailer on the road. We are referring about the basic structure, frame and aluminum body. That is why we purchased an Airstream even though it was a budget buster. It will be the last Travel Trailer we will probably ever buy because of it's unique quality on the marketplace today. Now that the creature comfort problems have been repaired, we are as happy as clams at high tide.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:50 AM   #14
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Thumbs up Two votes FOR wood!

Porky...

When we sold it this spring, the wood inserts in our '85 325's refrigerator looked just as nice as the day they came from from the factory and I presume they're still doing fine.

The inserts in our '94 tri-axle appear to be on the road to out-lasting the refrigerator doors. I have a couple of cracks in the plastic interior doors that I've repaired, and it needs new seals. It's a Dometic side-by-side. The wood inserts are gorgeous tho...

From my experience, I wouldn't panic about the wood panels. With occasional care, they should last as long as the refrigerator; and as has been said already, if one cracks or warps, they are replaceable.

Just an afterthought... I wonder how much storage conditions have to do with the doors deteriorating... hmmm...

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 08:13 AM   #15
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Vic,

If you want stainless inserts, look in the phone book under stainless steel fabricators. They will be happy to shear the exact dimentions for you. Depending on thickness it is not cheap. I had a piece made for a prior coach that was 25X8 inches and it cost 22 bucks.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 08:22 AM   #16
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Many thanks for all the responses.

I dropped by a local RV dealership and checked out a Dometic with wood inserts .. sure enough two screws hold the top trim plate on .. seems so simple. Also the wood seemed really solid to me.

Petunia has calmed down .. so that means I can relax too.

Besides I have bigger things to worry about ... what tonneau cover to get, gauges for the truck, brake controller, etc.

This sure is fun ... but ...

This wait is killing me!

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 11-09-2003, 12:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Porky
Dont' worry about your brake controller or hitch.
Sounds like your buying at to Toscanos, yes? Annyhoo, just tell them what tow vehicle you have and what tow package you have and they will hook everything up for you while your getting your walk through of the AS. The install and price is fair and they will do a good job for you. I have a Ford E350 7.3 diesel power stroke. You will hardly even notice the Airstream is behind you.
Look into getting a exhaust brake for your Ford & a ATS Commander to lock your tranny for extra engine brakeing assistance. It is really a big Plus.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:29 PM   #18
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Oh gosh .. I'm not really "worried" .. I should have said "bigger things to think about" ... you know, putting this wood thing in perspective .. in relation to other things that are far more important.

As for hitch and brake controller .. I do have all that figured out. I'm going with the Hensley and the Jordon. Both fine products .. and I have talked to quite a few owners of both.

You certainly need an exhaust brake for the 7.3 .. but not for the new 6.0 ... the new TorqueShift trans has the "tow/haul" mode ... the guys over on TheDieselStop.com say it works great.

My Ford dealer says the truck will be here the first week of December ... Airstream has informed me that the Classic "starts production in late December and is scheduled to release from production in early January."

This wait is killing me!

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 11-12-2003, 03:22 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

What causes wood to warp: Differential moisture between the
face and back.
What causes wood to crack: Dryness, and rapid fluctuations in
temperature and humidity.
Cure: Seal both front and back surfaces with a good sealer.
Periodic waxing of the exposed side.
Hope this helps someone.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote