Old 11-09-2003, 08:13 AM   #15
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64

If you want stainless inserts, look in the phone book under stainless steel fabricators. They will be happy to shear the exact dimentions for you. Depending on thickness it is not cheap. I had a piece made for a prior coach that was 25X8 inches and it cost 22 bucks.

Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 08:22 AM   #16
Cartoon Character
2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Many thanks for all the responses.

I dropped by a local RV dealership and checked out a Dometic with wood inserts .. sure enough two screws hold the top trim plate on .. seems so simple. Also the wood seemed really solid to me.

Petunia has calmed down .. so that means I can relax too.

Besides I have bigger things to worry about ... what tonneau cover to get, gauges for the truck, brake controller, etc.

This sure is fun ... but ...

This wait is killing me!

WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 12:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Dont' worry about your brake controller or hitch.
Sounds like your buying at to Toscanos, yes? Annyhoo, just tell them what tow vehicle you have and what tow package you have and they will hook everything up for you while your getting your walk through of the AS. The install and price is fair and they will do a good job for you. I have a Ford E350 7.3 diesel power stroke. You will hardly even notice the Airstream is behind you.
Look into getting a exhaust brake for your Ford & a ATS Commander to lock your tranny for extra engine brakeing assistance. It is really a big Plus.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 01:29 PM   #18
Cartoon Character
2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Oh gosh .. I'm not really "worried" .. I should have said "bigger things to think about" ... you know, putting this wood thing in perspective .. in relation to other things that are far more important.

As for hitch and brake controller .. I do have all that figured out. I'm going with the Hensley and the Jordon. Both fine products .. and I have talked to quite a few owners of both.

You certainly need an exhaust brake for the 7.3 .. but not for the new 6.0 ... the new TorqueShift trans has the "tow/haul" mode ... the guys over on say it works great.

My Ford dealer says the truck will be here the first week of December ... Airstream has informed me that the Classic "starts production in late December and is scheduled to release from production in early January."

This wait is killing me!
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 03:22 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member
What causes wood to warp: Differential moisture between the
face and back.
What causes wood to crack: Dryness, and rapid fluctuations in
temperature and humidity.
Cure: Seal both front and back surfaces with a good sealer.
Periodic waxing of the exposed side.
Hope this helps someone.

Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote