Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Wine Cooler Refrigerators

I'm curious as to whether anyone on the forums has installed a wine cooler refrigerator in their Airstream. I recently picked one up on sale and am thinking about building it into the existing cabinetry. Thanks...

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Many of them are thermoelectric and are very very inefficient. Only if you are plugged in to shore power are they viable. Even the compressor ones take a fair amount of power if you are not hooked up. I guess the true wine drinkers enjoy the selection and the temperature control to be perfect. I would use the space for something more valuable to me, but then, I am far from a true wine drinker.

Also, will a subsequent owner value a wine cooler as much as you do, or will it just be a liability to the sale.

Things to think about anyway.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Just drink red wine, no cooler necessary. Ask me how I know.LOL
Old 12-20-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Master Sommelier Doug Frost says to chill red wines in the refrigerator 30 minutes before drinking. And to take white wines out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before drinking. Most of us drink reds too warm and whites too cold, he says. It's 4:30 somewhere.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Ahhhh, finally, someone who is into wine as much as me...DO IT. I share an airstream with my business partner. We're both huge wine lovers. So we started this search a while ago - and no, putting it in the fridge for a purist wine lover like myself is absolutely unacceptable.

So we checked out loads and loads of reviews - found the following ones MASSIVELY resourceful - Wine Coolers Guide and then this review on the small 12 bottle on was pretty good, and of course the ultimate resource is from the good chaps at VinePair.

What it comes down to, is how much do you like your wine? How much work are you prepared to do? Because nothing is going to just slot in, you'll have to do work around it. In the end we went for the SubCold Super 8Led wine cooler and haven't looked back since....

Was it worth all the drama? Absolutely !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
I'm curious as to whether anyone on the forums has installed a wine cooler refrigerator in their Airstream. I recently picked one up on sale and am thinking about building it into the existing cabinetry. Thanks...

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
bradjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1959 28' Ambassador
Victoria , Minnesota
We’re doing a full interior restoration. I thought it would be fun to put in a wine cooler as we too like to have a great glass of wine. Ultimately I think I’m going to axe the cooler as we probably won’t be in the same place more than 3-4 days and the risk of bottle shock to our finer bottles. https://www.winespectator.com/drvinny/show/id/44883

I do love the way they look though and I’m not past loading them from a cool storage in the TV after we park somewhere.
Kyacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Cellar cool...👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Bob,

I just ordered two more bottles of Bob.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I have thought about a wine cooler also, from time to time. The small one they show in the modified AS's from Airstream Adventures, I think holds 9 bottles; we had a protable model which holds "a few" in double wine fridge package, but again, you do have to keep plugged into AC. That's the downer...aside from taking up some space.

Bottle shock is something I had forgotten about...
We are conscious about heat also...we end up bringing along about 4-5 reds and 3-4 whites on a trip. We will keep the reds in the cooler or in the refrigerator...we keep the reds in the car while traveling. We use a 6 bottle wine sack so we can move easily from car to AS when camped....we have from time to time, put the reds in the cooler, if we are going to be out for a while in a hot area....not ideal, but I've found after we drink the first bottle, we don't seem to notice if there are issues with the second bottle...that's the trick I think...drink the first bottle before judging the others!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:25 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Bob,

I just ordered two more bottles of Bob.

Bob
🇺🇸
Hi

.... but .... but ... errr .... they don't ship to PA !!!!!!!!! ....

====

Small wine fridges have never seemed to last very long for me. I suspect that in a "mobile" environment, they would die even quicker. One thing you don't want to do is constantly heat up and cool down wine. Running one of these long term .... yikes ....

Lots of issues ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

.... but .... but ... errr .... they don't ship to PA !!!!!!!!! ....

====

Small wine fridges have never seemed to last very long for me. I suspect that in a "mobile" environment, they would die even quicker. One thing you don't want to do is constantly heat up and cool down wine. Running one of these long term .... yikes ....

Lots of issues ....

Bob
Why Bob; here in Texas, that's how we tell if a wine is good or not--couple days in the car in July! I remember early on I belonged to a wine club in Napa, and they would send me wines to my place in Dripping Springs, TX, marked "medical", since it was illegal to ship wine into Texas. it would arrive typically after the local delivery company would call me to make sure I would be home, since it was delivered in refrigerated trucks locally. Well, one day, I wasn't called, and they left a new case of great Petite Syrah on the doorstep...101 outside...I had a nice walkin wine celler at the time...I remember putting it away, only to find a month later when I opened first bottle, it had started second fermentation...next bottle same...I called the winery, they apologized and asked me to send back...of course, I couldn't do that easily....heat and wine don't mix for sure...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:57 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Why Bob; here in Texas, that's how we tell if a wine is good or not--couple days in the car in July! I remember early on I belonged to a wine club in Napa, and they would send me wines to my place in Dripping Springs, TX, marked "medical", since it was illegal to ship wine into Texas. it would arrive typically after the local delivery company would call me to make sure I would be home, since it was delivered in refrigerated trucks locally. Well, one day, I wasn't called, and they left a new case of great Petite Syrah on the doorstep...101 outside...I had a nice walkin wine celler at the time...I remember putting it away, only to find a month later when I opened first bottle, it had started second fermentation...next bottle same...I called the winery, they apologized and asked me to send back...of course, I couldn't do that easily....heat and wine don't mix for sure...
Hi

Last time I was buying wine in Texas they told me that if it was hot out .... drink all the wine before you get to the truck ... somehow that only got mentioned *after* you paid for the case ....burp .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:48 PM   #12

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
St Helena , California
I need to know more about your airstream you posted a picture of. It looks awesome! Do you still own this or did you sell it? Did you customize it to have a wine cooler or did you buy it like that?

I am currently in search of a pre-owned AS that I can add a wine fridge to, but pre-owned ones are hard to find in my area. Do you have more pictures of yours? I wonder if I can buy a used one and have it customized? Thanks GypsyDad! You seem pretty knowledgeable.
littleriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I have thought about a wine cooler also, from time to time. The small one they show in the modified AS's from Airstream Adventures, I think holds 9 bottles; we had a protable model which holds "a few" in double wine fridge package, but again, you do have to keep plugged into AC. That's the downer...aside from taking up some space.

Bottle shock is something I had forgotten about...
We are conscious about heat also...we end up bringing along about 4-5 reds and 3-4 whites on a trip. We will keep the reds in the cooler or in the refrigerator...we keep the reds in the car while traveling. We use a 6 bottle wine sack so we can move easily from car to AS when camped....we have from time to time, put the reds in the cooler, if we are going to be out for a while in a hot area....not ideal, but I've found after we drink the first bottle, we don't seem to notice if there are issues with the second bottle...that's the trick I think...drink the first bottle before judging the others!
Too cold isn't going hurt your wine. Just give it 45min to come back to temp after you pull it out.
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:02 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Unless you're storing for longer periods of time, and trying to age. There's really no reason to have a wine fridge. You certainly don't want your bottles to get hot, but too cold doesn't really damage wine. If you're carrying older red wines while traveling, you're going to have more of an issue with the sediment getting stirred up, takes a few days for things to fall back to the bottom.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
Master Sommelier Doug Frost says to chill red wines in the refrigerator 30 minutes before drinking. And to take white wines out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before drinking. Most of us drink reds too warm and whites too cold, he says. It's 4:30 somewhere.
I think Janice Robinson might have said the same prior to Doug, unfortunately she didn't get a lot of credit for her musings long ago.