Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Will my Fridge last three days on Battery?

We have a 2016 27' FC FB. I need to store it for three days, temporarily.

Will my battery last long enough for the whole three days to supply 12V while it runs on LP?

The battery will be fully charged when we store it, and I have plenty of LP. The only thing that will be on 12V is the LP detector, and the fridge battery 12V circuit.

If not, I'll make alternate plans for some of the food inside. It is not a huge deal either way, I was just curious if anyone knew off hand.

Thanks!
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
yes, I would think your battery will last 3 days. I assume you have no solar, of if you do, storage is inside so no solar benefit. Have you figured your total parasite drain, including the minimal electric demand of the Fridge control panel? The total electric drain from "nothing" i.e., subwoofer, propane detector, etc. could be half an amp an hour, or 36 amp hours over 3 days. With my batteries, this would use about half of my available amp hours. My guess is your batteries will be OK after 3 days.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It certainly should, fully charged.

Maggie
Old 05-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Not a problem.

Even if it did conk out before you got to it things will stay cold for a least a day in a closed refrigerator. I know this because we had to shut ours off when we took it on long overnight ferry ride and everything was fine.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Some things to check....

If your fridge has a setting for "low ambient control" make sure it is off. This leaves the light in the fridge burning all the time to generate some heat to trip the thermostat when it is cold (outside or inside). If it has a "Climate Control" switch (strip heater in the door to prevent condensation) make sure it is off. The fridge itself takes only about 0.3 amps. The other two settings take 1.5.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Thanks all!

Much obliged.

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Thanks all!

Much obliged.

Rich
Check to make sure that any AV units buried in the cabinets are not in some kind of Stand-by mode, as our Pioneer stereo radio receiver has a default "disco light show" mode which does not turn off, except after extensive user input to the unfriendly control panel. An alternative is to physically remove the face plate (this is a car stereo basically) as one might do to deter theft from a car.

One of idroba's last posts here was a good explanation of how he added an On/Off switch to control this hidden parasitic drain, in Post #27 here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...em-148311.html

Your AV units may go into a deeper True-Off mode, but this is worth checking.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- Probably goes without saying, but the water pump, water heater and furnace should also be off. [ "measure twice cut once . . . " ]
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Turn off the TV antenna signal booster too
phann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by phann View Post
Turn off the TV antenna signal booster too
Good point -- and the inverter which supplies (from the batteries) 110 volt power to some outlets. The owner's manual probably has a section (or more) about conserving batteries.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
If it's not a big deal why not pull the food out, put the batteries in store mode, and not worry about it?

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We just left on fridge on Lp/battery for three days and we had plenty of capacity left. I don't think our monitor drop more than two "clicks".
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #12
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We also like to put several of those "blue ice" type things in the freezer and fridge if there's room, as they help to buffer against temperature swings. They may also prove helpful in keeping the food cold longer if the batteries run down for whatever unforeseen reason (e.g. if the capacity of those charged batteries were lower than expected).

Alternatively, there are some really good coolers out there with even more insulation than your fridge. Here's just one example (full disclosure, I don't own one of these yet myself): http://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Super-To.../dp/B00CJJAWJ4

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Seven days on the road camped with 29 degree to 71 degree daily cycles at 6,000 to 7,800 feet in New Mexico Boondocking.

Water pump and furnace are the largest battery vampires. No concern to you if not being used. If you do not have the fan to vent the refrigerator... no problem. With fan, not much to be concerned. Ours ran at 39 degrees at Number THREE on the readout and frozen solid freezer good. The interior temperature gauge we double check of our own will indicate a lower temperature than the one you see on your external readout.

Check for vampire battery users like mentioned earlier. No ceiling fans left on automatic...

The refrigerator is the least of power users and little at that for us. We needed to connect the tow vehicle for a shower or early morning furnace use when the interior was in the mid 30's... which is refreshing, but 51 degrees is a treat.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
Propane

Is propane an option??
iowaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:49 PM   #15
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthcreeper View Post
Is propane an option??
Absolutely. The assumption is that the fridge will be cooled via propane while the fridge's controls (thermostat, etc.) will consume some energy from the battery.

The general consensus from those who have done it for 3 days and more seems to be, "Yes, and maybe even longer."

I was being more cautious because (1) I've not tried it for more than a couple of days and (2) the capacity of our stock batteries is a frequent concern whenever we boondock.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthcreeper View Post
Is propane an option??
The original post below says, in pertinent part, that the fridge would be running on propane.

Quote:
. . .
Will my battery last long enough for the whole three days to supply 12V while it runs on LP?
. . .
Old 05-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
No title

OTRA15. Cute use of the imoticons. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. As you are, I too was interjecting a little fun. Sorry about the dry humor. I got it from my dad. Happy trails! 😉 😂
iowaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
So, just an update: yesterday I saw 12.4V on the meter, I'm guessing they weren't as fully charged as I thought.

Anyway, this morning I had 12.0V. So I'm not sure I'll get to Wednesday morning. I'm going for a long drive tomorrow to give it a boost so hopefully I'll be ok.

Thanks again; I'm continually impressed how helpful this forum is.

Rich

PS for those wondering, we had a chance to spend three days in Vegas at short notice, but I had to put the RV out in the Nevada sun.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We put a switch in the power wire to the sub woofer power since it was on all the time as a parasite power hog.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
So, just an update: yesterday I saw 12.4V on the meter, I'm guessing they weren't as fully charged as I thought.

Anyway, this morning I had 12.0V. So I'm not sure I'll get to Wednesday morning. I'm going for a long drive tomorrow to give it a boost so hopefully I'll be ok.
. . .
Not sure what loads you have had on your batteries but they seem to be dropping pretty fast to these eyes. Are you sure no other 12v items are on, like the lights in the storage compartments? You might want to check the battery water level in each cell, and test each with a hydrometer. Your new AS may have not been stored correctly by the dealer before purchase, and it is possible the batteries were compromised IMO. The fridge control panel does not draw much voltage, as I understand it anyway.

The earlier suggestions of a good cooler with lots of ice (or dry ice?) may be worth the investment. We keep a couple of coolers in the tow vehicle (van with lots of room), and often put the fridge items in the coolers, when needed for situations like this. Ice in bags is available almost everywhere, albeit at a cost.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- Does switz's comment about the sub-woofer apply to your unit? Also, per an earlier comment, are any hidden AV radio etc. units in Stand By mode and drawing power unbeknownst to you?

PS2 -- May be time to consider a small generator converted to run on propane? We ordered the Yamaha 1000 which is on back order, but you may need the 2000? Those units by US Carburation apparently include the Yamaha OEM warranty.