Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Will it work?

Hi everyone,
I need to replace or repair the fridge in my 77 Sovereign 31' center bath. I know a new fridge will cost me at least $1000. I got a quote to repair mine for about $700 which is probably what I will do since mine is very clean inside.
But today I saw this fridge for sale out of a 71 Excella.
Dometic Fridge - RM75 - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

It's a relatively local, so shipping isn't really an issue.

My questions:
Will it fit?

Will any Dometic work as long as the dimentions are the same?

It's priced at $350, is this a resonable price considering that it is used and may need to be repaired in the future?

Thank you in advanced for you input!
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Just make sure it is working. Have them plug it in and put some ice trays full of water in the freezer. Also take some sort of thermometer with you to measure the fridge temp. It should get to 40F or lower on high.

I like the older fridges because they don't need electricity and don't need $100 control boards replaced periodically.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
But will it fit?
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
There's only one way to know if it will fit for sure--ask the seller to measure the fridge, and compare those dimensions to your own. Is this fridge really an original from 1971? If so, I might wonder just how much life is left in it.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Mod View Post
But will it fit?
It should fit. Measure the height and side to side of your current model and compare to the one for sale. They are probably the same measurements or very close. Then as they say, just pull out the old one and slide in the new one. But that's where the fun begins. Taking out the old one will be a job. You will find that it is attached to the floor and other places by screws that are hard to find and remove. They just don't slide out. Then you have to attached the replacement in the same manner.

I completed this same project on my 1976 31' center bath Sovereign a few years ago. The link below is the thread that I started at that time and the 1st post has pictures of removing the old fridge. and the finished project as well. I chose to go back with a regular 120 V household type fridge which has worked well for me.

Good luck with your project.

Don

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...6-a-48086.html
Old 06-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I could use some shelves if anyone has some from a dead fridge. Adonh you removed the wall next to the entertainment center and it looks like there was a plate attached to the floor that was rivets to the fridge? You did not have to remove the wall on the other side of the fridge? I need to remove mine to do some R&R and it would be easier if it were not in the trailer.

Mrs Mod it should fit if the external dimensions are the same. A photo of the back of yours and the one for sale might help you out as far as how stuff is laid out.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I could use some shelves if anyone has some from a dead fridge. Adonh you removed the wall next to the entertainment center and it looks like there was a plate attached to the floor that was rivets to the fridge? You did not have to remove the wall on the other side of the fridge? I need to remove mine to do some R&R and it would be easier if it were not in the trailer.

Mrs Mod it should fit if the external dimensions are the same. A photo of the back of yours and the one for sale might help you out as far as how stuff is laid out.

Perry
Correct I did not need to remove the wall on the other side. I was able to tilt it forward at that point, as I recall. It was a tight squeeze getting out and loaded on a dolly then out of the door. I can only imagine that would be a difficult process getting it back in the door and reinstalled. Good luck

Don
Old 07-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Mod View Post
But will it fit?
Hi, I am the one with the fridge for sale. It measures
Height Width Depth
49-1/2 21-7/8 23-3/4

Let me know if you are still interested.
africaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
I gather that retention of the vintage look is an important factor in your decision. Otherwise, in most things, I wouldn't be inclined to spend 70% of new (based on your numbers) to repair a 35-year old item, nor to pay 35% of new for a used 41-year old item that may also need the 70% repair.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote