Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2014, 06:58 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
When your using Propane

I have used the 'spark maker' (for lack of better word) to light the pilot under the fridge in this Airstream for years. Then lately - the little wheel that grates against the flint lost it's traction and fails to make the spark needed to start the pilot. I even got to the point of taping a popcicle stick with some candle wax to the end to stick back there...and this actually works. But is there a replacement for that particular part. I even sat with some micro files and tried giving the wheel some new tooth. But alas. Some one send a link to some options.
Oh - and Merry Christmas to all.
Billy
Old 12-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
It isn't the wheel that's worn out; it's the flint. You may be able to purchase Zippo flints at a smoke shop to replace the one in your sparker.

But the best option in my opinion is a long-stemmed disposable butane barbecue lighter.

With the added advantage that you can use it to light your barbecue grill or campfire.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
I'm new to The AS world and haven't gotten my refrigerator up and running yet so I'm still learning.

A look at the service manual and a quick Google search and I found the parts, at least for my RM75A.

Appliance Zone - Products
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Billy,

Spegetti to lite your fire

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Well no- and yes I did replace the flint in two cases...this did not do either- even strched the little spring that pushes it against the wheel.
Thanks Robert. They (the internet) even said chopsticks work good too. However I will not give up. Because I almost miss laying flat on the floor, on my side, head lowered, and going flick flick flick flick..........flick flick flick.....flick flick...lol Thanks,
Billy -flick flick flick!
Old 12-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
In my 71 it was just about impossible to get to the burner to light it with a lighter. I cut an access hole inside the trailer in the bottom of the paneling next to the entry door making it a fairly simple operation to light the burner.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Cerritos , California
I have successfully used a Piezo lighter used for replacing worn out ones on barbecue grills. You can buy them at walmart for less than $20. It comes with a 3 foot long lead wires that you can locate anywhere convenient. And it runs on one AA battery.
68Streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Our FC lights magically, I guess (?).
I do have a Propane-Refrigerator question. I have been told two stories about traveling with the propane refrigerator on or off. One story is to never do it ... "It's a fire hazard because the movement will blow it out causing the FC to fill with propane and explode." The other is that, "The safety valve in the refrigerator will simply shut down the propane, until it is clear of danger, then relight." (end quotes) ... Hmmm?
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
"The safety valve in the refrigerator will simply shut down the propane, until it is clear of danger, then relight."
The purpose of the thermocouple is to shut off the propane if it doesn't detect heat.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote