Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
When should I defrost?

We are operating on propane with the fridge...and it REALLY works good (have the thermostat set on 4) and as time goes by, frost and ice will build up below in the larger part on that 'grid' looking thing...should it be defrosted regularly, or is the iced over part supposed to keep it cold down in the lower part? Mind you we DO defrost, but we never really investigated this matter. What would Betty Crocker do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1653.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	77171  
Old 03-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
frost on the fins reduces cooling in the fridge. it's easier and faster to defrost before it gets thick.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
ok I will get the blowdryer out now.....
Old 03-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
You can also place a large bowl of boiling hot water on the shelf and close the door. That will help to defrost the fridge quickly without having toi use a hair dryer.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Be careful of not damaging the fins. They aren't really all that strong. The screwdriver method which can be useful in a household refrigerator is not a good idea here.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Thanks, we got it done and also the shower water knob fixed so our Airstream appreciates all of you helping out. !
Old 03-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Thanks for the boiling hot water idea. I am doing it now and can't wait to see the results. Thanks again.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
My grandmother taught me that one. Back when I was renting, apartments didn't have frost free freezers, so I used to always use the boiling water method. I hope it worked okay for you. You may have to change the water a couple of times if it cools too much.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
A few ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
We are operating on propane with the fridge...and it REALLY works good (have the thermostat set on 4) and as time goes by, frost and ice will build up below in the larger part on that 'grid' looking thing...should it be defrosted regularly, or is the iced over part supposed to keep it cold down in the lower part? Mind you we DO defrost, but we never really investigated this matter. What would Betty Crocker do?
Hi, my refrigerator has never even had frost on it. Maybe setting #4 is too high and making it too cold inside. [Mine always works well on #3] Maybe in high humidity weather you leave the refrigerator door open too long while getting things in or out of it. Or are you full timing and /or leaving your trailer plugged in with your refrigerator always on? My trailer only goes on trips of one to four weeks at a time so far; And when we get home I remove everything from my refrigerator, wipe it out, and let it air dry for at least one day.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob said everything I could've, but said it first. Though, we always keep freezer and fridge doors ajar to prevent mildew. I must be multiyears older than Cameron because it was my mother who taught me the hot water trick. I thought everyone knew that.

Gene
Old 03-21-2009, 11:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, as Gene stated, I also store my trailer with the refrigerator doors slightly open. I don't have an actual picture of the refrigerator doors in the stored position, but I will explain how I do it and by looking at my picture you will be able to visualize how it works. I have a bungy cord that's about two feet long. I hook one end of the bungy cord to the freezer door handle, then I wrap the cord once around my bathroom door handle, and back to hook the other end onto the refrigerator door handle. Because of the wall being a few inches from the front of the refrigerator, it holds both doors open slightly without getting in the way of anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 423 (Large).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	77265  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Our door on the fridge does not quite 'shut' due to some of former owners...so we have to kind of 'press' it succesfully in when closing, thus the little extra air gets into it. One day will get a new door.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
There's an easier way Bob. I took two pieces of 2x2 cut a few inches long and put them so they keep the doors ajar. When we travel the wood goes in the mini-cabinet above the refrigerator (otherwise, we'll lose them).

Gene