Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Vintage fridge/stove restoration recommendations?

Hey guys....been looking through a lot of these threads, but just curious: what's your recommendations for vintage refrigerator and stove repair/resotration? I found a guy in GA who was going to charge $2800 per appliance. That doesn't even include my shipping to & from. I didn't pay that much for the whole d*mn trailer. I've got a '57 Overlander. So I know these appliances are OLD.
If restoration is going to cost that much, does anybody have any recommendations for applying the old doors to newer appliances to at least get that vintage look? Any help is appreciated.

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Sounds way over priced to me. What is it worth to you to stay with the original look? For $5,600 you could buy 3 new refers and 3 new stoves.
Sometimes being practical makes more sense than being sentimental.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
That's ridiculous! I know my sis just had a stove totally redone, new safety valves etc... For around $700. Still more than you'd pay for a new stove but she really liked the vintage look. IMHO keep looking, that's outrageous! Her's is a 1960 Tradewind.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
1st ?, is anything wrong with there operation to start with. Exterior surfaces can be re plated, re painted, re enameled, ect for a h**l of a lot less than 5k. I had a stove top plated in nickle for a hundred bucks 3 yrs ago.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
I'll be honest, I don't know the answer to that! My prayer would be that everything is functional and working properly, but I have no clue. The trailer (and it's original appliances) have been sitting in an abandoned field for almost 30 yrs. Everything is very rusty and for lack of a better term....gross. The propane lines running to the fridge were cut. At this point, I just need someone who knows what they're doing to give it a look-see.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
i wish you were closer so i could pop by for a play date
not much help here on the resto end. what i have found in the south is that the local folks will do a good job, do it right and do it cheap (cheap to me = not outlandish and overpriced, probably right $ for the locale).

ask at local shops for recommendations. stop in the old school looking places. call them, ask for someone who can inspect a vintage appliance. call it a "really old" not vintage

the place you want is probably not online.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I will be brutal

First of all....that is one nice Airstream. Second....your in WAY over your head from the sounds of your questions. Take a deep breath.......read everything you can here and absorb the info from those who have been down the road. Don't get carried away with an aqua colored appliance and sink. That stuff comes way down the line. Your blog may be fun, but blogs get lost in cyberspace around here....if you want up to date help post in a Forum and you will be happy with the following and info. Scratch the appliance rebuilder of your contact list first step.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
While I understand where you're coming from, I have a LOT of down time. My husband works 2nd shift, and the AS is parked at my parents house 30 min away. While I sit at home being non-productive, I try to tackle the things that come down the road. Even if it is just the fun stuff. I appreciate your feedback. Just trying to put out feelers for any help.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
NJtoNC, I wish we were closer as well!! A restoration brain storm/play date would be swell.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Don't get carried away with an aqua colored appliance and sink.
HAHA. that's funny. i just bought a '65 based on the aqua colored appliances and bath!!!

i know what's important in life. Aqua colored appliances.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
HAHA. that's funny. i just bought a '65 based on the aqua colored appliances and bath!!!

i know what's important in life. Aqua colored appliances.
I agree! And if aqua appliances is what inspires you to keep going then so be it! I happen to be mechanically inclined but whatever lets you get to the next step is a positive IMHO. You can be way over your head and still succeed at this, it's not rocket science.....but as suggested... Read read read the forums and educate yourself as much as possible
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Sounds like they're no good the way the are, which means they will be removed either way. How about pulling them out now and posting some pics. Particularily the back & bottom of the fridge. The bottom of the oven burner & under the lift up stove top. Some one may see something that says wasted. If not you can then take them to someone local to check them for preformance. If they check out OK then comes color & finish.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote