Old 06-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
Ventilation

So I know it is blasphemy, but I am replacing my unrepairable original refrigerator with an apartment unit in my 64 tradewind. The reasons for this are many, and I have decided to go this way for now.

My question is this: should I cover over the wire mess ventilation hole used by the old unit to draw air? I know it was necessary for the original unit but there will be no gas flame with the replacement. My concern is that I would be exposing the cooling unit to high outside temperatures. But on the other hand, with a tightly fitted build-in unit, it is not going to get much cool air from inside. I am venting it to side closet let some air back there if I do close off the wire mess. I just not sure I am considering every thing. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Most household fridges are designed to work in a cabinet alcove and draw cooling air from the room they are installed in. Just make sure you have the minimum clearances on both sides, top and bottom as specified in the installation manual. Some of those clearances are probably zero inches. If you do that, then closing off the original vent should be fine.

Chris

Old 06-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
I agree, I had one in my globetrotter for 7 yeArs , no problems. Unless you are traveling long distances or boondocking, these refers are just fine.i just installed a Dometic propane electric in my overlander, so far so good !
Old 06-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
Thanks for the replies. Thinking about the installation left me with another thought. Should I leave the scoop vent to the outside open or close it off with some insulation? Seems like leaving it open would help with the cooling process of the refrigerator.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I have a couple of thoughts on closing up the scoop vent. First, where are the coils on the fridge? Are the on the back or tucked under the bottom? If on the bottom, then I don't think leaving the scoop open does any good. If the coils are on the back, and you have zero clearance between the top and sides of the fridge and the opening it goes into, then leaving the scoop open would probably help with cooling.

Second thought: Do you plan on using the trailer in cold weather? If you do, then leaving the scoop open will create a draft of cooler air being pulled under the fridge, up the back, and out the scoop. Basically, you'll lose some of the heated air from your furnace out of the scoop.

Personally, if I were to install a household fridge in an RV, I would seal off the outside openings and make sure the fridge had enough air clearance around it so it could run properly.

My 2 cents...

Chris