Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
veneer for new fridge

Our new fridge in the rig has one really ugly gray door, and Dometic doesn't supply covers for it. (This is the European model of the fridge.)

Sooo, I was thinking about building a slide-in cover made of thin backing with wood veneer, stained and finished to match the rest of the interior.

Ah, wait a minute. What kind of wood is the interior of the rig made of? (If it helps, it's a 67 rig.)

Lynn
Old 11-11-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
1/4" will slide right in there

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
I'm not sure that 1/4" would do. The front of this door is quite curved (though it's kind of hard to see in this pic from the manufacturer):

Lynn
Old 11-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I saw some 'door skins' at Lowes the other day. They were 1/32 thick oak veneer and would fit in the door, yet stain to match most finishes.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
At Lowe's, eh? I was at Home Depot while in Albuquerque, and I asked about veneers. They looked at me like I was crazy. Then, of course, I mentioned the word "RV," and they just rolled their eyes. That's when I felt like a fool, too.

Lynn
Old 11-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I believe '67s had oak, walnut or mahogany veneers...primarily Walnut & mahogany.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
My 67 has ash. If you look for veneer on Google, you will find several sources.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Lowes has some cool "pressed tin" tiles

If you want to add an accent to the trailer this might be another idea. Lowes on Paseo del Norte in ABQ has these large, "pressed tin" tiles that I considered for my remodel. The are actually a plastic and come in a copper, tin and kind of a brass type finish. They are flexible enough that they would curve to the front of your fridge. Two of them would have fit perfectly on the fridge in my Safari. Ultimately, I decided to faux paint the front of the fridge to match some of the other surfaces I faux painted.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Wow, ash, oak, walnut and mahogany. Looks to me like I pretty much take my pick of what I can locate, and then just stain and finish to match.

Thank you, folks!!

Lynnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Old 11-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
I have a 1974-ish Norcold. When I got the trailer it had a "Harvest Gold" panel in the front. As you can imagine, it had to GO! I took it out and went to "Northbay Plywood & Door" and found an 1/8" sheet of finish plywood. The yard man was kind enough to cut the sheet to exactly match the old panel. Since we started with a partial sheet (scrap piece) and he waived the "cutting fee", I was out the door for five bucks. Oh, and it's cherry veneer. Sweet deal, eh?
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #11
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
there is a Woodcraft...http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/Defa...state&state=NM not too far from you... they have veneer and might identify what you have, or post a picture and I can tell you what it is. I work in wood and can help you to lay it up if you run into a snag.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Too bad I didn't know about them last week! (Albuquerque is a three hour drive from here in the boonies.)

Lynn
Old 11-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #13
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
So lets see a photo of that wood....
Old 11-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Online Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Wow, ash, oak, walnut and mahogany. Looks to me like I pretty much take my pick of what I can locate, and then just stain and finish to match.

Thank you, folks!!

Lynnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Hi Lynn,

A paper-backed veneer conforms to curves very well. In the past, I made kaleidoscopes and applied veneers to 1¾’ and 2” brass tubes using 3m trim adhesive available at auto parts stores. The slight curve of the front of your fridge will be no problem at all.

An online source is Exotic Wood Veneer, Vacuum Press Systems, Veneering Tools and Supplies at VeneerSupplies.com. They even have a Peel And Stick (PAS) option.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi Lynn,

A paper-backed veneer conforms to curves very well. In the past, I made kaleidoscopes and applied veneers to 1¾’ and 2” brass tubes using 3m trim adhesive available at auto parts stores. The slight curve of the front of your fridge will be no problem at all.

An online source is Exotic Wood Veneer, Vacuum Press Systems, Veneering Tools and Supplies at VeneerSupplies.com. They even have a Peel And Stick (PAS) option.
Perfect info and link for what I'm after!! I may be able to accomplish this from the backwoods of Angel Fire after all!

Lynn
Old 11-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Perfect info and link for what I'm after!! I may be able to accomplish this from the backwoods of Angel Fire after all!

Lynn
Great! Boy, there are way worse backwoods around than Angel Fire. It’s where I learned to ski. Fond memories.

Thanks for the Karma, too!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi again Lynn,

Depending on my degree of commitment to the new look, I would use the PAS option if I wasn’t sure, and the 3m option for “till death do us part (really)”. For the really “long-term” commitment, the 3m adhesive is superior to others, and comes in “snot yellow” and black. I haven’t been able to imagine a scenario where black was less desirable, but to each his/her own.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:44 AM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
2 more cents... don't use the pre- glued or pressure sensitive... the adhesive will not hold up to your climate in NM. A few weeks of 90 during the day, 30 at night and that glue will fail. I have not used the 3M product so I do not know how it will hold up. I would suggest either finding a cabinet shop that can spray a professional contact adhesive and apply the veneer, or ask to buy a quart of their adhesive so you can roll it on both surfaces with a zero nap roller. Nothing speaks to blue collar guys like a few bills waving in your hand. If you or they do it... make sure the glue is DRY before the two surfaces are bonded. Many guys rush the glue, or follow the label wrong. The surface should be dry enough that the hair on your arm will not stick at all. Put dowels between the veneer and surface so you can position it without the glue touching...start at one end and remove the dowels as you go from one end to the other... trim the excess with a file...

You also have the option to insert a 1/4" / 5-mm panel? If that is the case, plywood is available in every species known to man. Give me the sizes and I can cut it out for you and UPS it to you. You pay for the materials and I will trade a night of camping for my labor. Should be less than $50 with shipping even if it is mahogany. If it is red oak, I have a left over sheet right now...
How far are you from Taos? We are coming out to visit friends the third weekend of January. Maybe we can get together and talk aluminum. frank
Old 11-13-2007, 06:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Our new fridge in the rig has one really ugly gray door, and Dometic doesn't supply covers for it. (This is the European model of the fridge.)

Sooo, I was thinking about building a slide-in cover made of thin backing with wood veneer, stained and finished to match the rest of the interior.

Ah, wait a minute. What kind of wood is the interior of the rig made of? (If it helps, it's a 67 rig.)

Lynn
Lynn,

If you could post a photo of the inside woodwork we may be able to identify the correct wood specie. Much easier to stain to match if you start with the correct wood. BTW, I can vacuum press veneer to 1/8" Baltic birch if it would help, or even one veneer sheet to another backer veneer for ultra thin but strong panel. The modern press glues are heat tolerant and has been pointed out heat build up will defeat many glues.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:46 AM   #20
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
superior technology, go with Royce's offer.