Old 11-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Used refer - how to verify condition

Hi there --

Sorry in advance for asking without doing a variety of searches to see if my question has been answered elsewhere - as I'm at work and don't want to spend too much time on this site.

I'm interested in this Dometic but don't know how to test if it works on propane. I emailed the seller and he said, "It was new in the box when we got it and we only ran it off AC. We donít have any way to test the propane hookup, but youíre welcome to come look at it."

I was under the impression these needed 12v power (in addition to 110) for any use but maybe I'm wrong. Can someone advise me??? Please!

Dometic refrigerator 3.5 cu. ft

Thanks again - I'll check back in to see if anyone has any advice/comment,
Laura

Old 11-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
If you want to fully test the refrigerator, then you will want to put it on a nice level surface, plug it in, put it in "electrical" mode, set the thermostat to max, and then come back the next day. If it is cold, then this suggests that the electrical heating element is working, the thermostat is functional, and the coolant gas system is intact. Now, turn it off and wait for a day for it to warm up again.

Now connect a 20 lb cylinder to the gas fitting. I have a propane fired burner assembly that I disconnected the propane line from, and amazingly, I was able to make that up directly to a fridge I was bench testing. Put the fridge in "propane" mode, and light the pilot light and wait another 24 hrs to see if it cools down.

I don't think your fridge requires a 12V supply, as the propane is ignited with a piezo ignitor, rather than a battery driven auto-reignitor, and it is not a 3-way fridge.

If the fridge has truly never been run on propane, then chances are if it works on 120V, then it will work on propane as well, since they are using the same coolant system for the cooling. The thing that usually wears out/goes wrong with the propane system is the the "chimney" gets rust and rust flakes fall down on the burner assembly and mess with the flame. If it has never been fired that way, then it is probably fine.

Now the warning--I have the user's manual for that model of fridge, and it was published in 1996, so that fridge is potentially aging. Check the rubber seals around the doors to make sure they aren't getting hard/brittle, and check all of the plastic pieces to make sure they aren't cracking with age.

On the other hand, I paid $300 for a used fridge of the same vintage with a broken hinge on the freezer door. If I had known thenwhat I know now, I think I would have negotiated the price a bit more actively.

good luck!

Old 11-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Sorry in advance for asking without doing a variety of searches to see if my question has been answered elsewhere - as I'm at work and don't want to spend too much time on this site.

I'm interested in this Dometic but don't know how to test if it works on propane. I emailed the seller and he said, "It was new in the box when we got it and we only ran it off AC. We donít have any way to test the propane hookup, but youíre welcome to come look at it."
You can't really test it without hooking up a propane supply.

On the other hand, it's a newer fridge for which parts are available. In the unlikely event that there's a problem with the burner assembly, it can be fixed relatively inexpensively.

Quote:
I was under the impression these needed 12v power (in addition to 110) for any use but maybe I'm wrong. Can someone advise me??? Please!

Dometic refrigerator 3.5 cu. ft
The 2310 is an older piezo design that does not have electronics. It does not require 12v. There are a number of drawbacks of this type -- they won't switch between gas and 120v automatically, they use more gas, and they don't relight the flame if it blows out.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You must have a regulator set at 11" of water column to test the unit. DO NOT connect the propane bottle directly to the refer.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
You must have a regulator set at 11" of water column to test the unit. DO NOT connect the propane bottle directly to the refer.
OMG - maybe grabbing this little refer and slapping it in the Silver Olive is more than just connecting the lines.

Laura

Thanks for the response ya'll!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Full Time Alumaloafer

1966 24' Tradewind
Livingston , Texas
Laura,

That fridge looks very clean, and if it works on AC it is probably a very reasonable price. The cooling unit is used for both AC and propane, so if it works on AC you are not looking at much expense to repair if for some reason it did not work on propane.

My wife and I have a Dometic RM660 3 way that dates back to the eighties. It still works great, though we did replace the AC element once. The older models have fewer features, but easier to diagnose and repair, in my opinion.

Phillipians 4:13
louaxtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Laura;
If you connect the refer to the existing propane line in the coach. It should be regulated already. The regulator is in the line that connects to the tank in most cases.
I was referring to bench testing. Bench testing will require a regulator set at 11" of water column.
Didn't mean to freak you out.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Thanks again! The seller said they'd have it cooling when I visit to view it.

Laura