Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Rivet Uh OHHH the fridge isn't getting cold

After I bought the twink I checked everything and found the original fridge cooled very nicely on both gas and elec. so a camping we went. I used it for 2 1/2 weeks in Florida in February and several weekend (6) trips, so far no problem. cooool

Thursday I cranked it up to get ready to leave Friday and the freezer was icy with the trays frozen nicely, buttttt after driving 3 1/2 hours to PA I checked it and the lower box was at 61 degrees. After 2 hours at the campground I switched it to 120 V elec at level 6 and it went down to 52 in a few hours and down to 32 by the next morning and worked fine all weekend on level 5 (36 degrees)

I switched back to LP gas when leaving Sunday morning and by the time I got home (3 1/2 hours) the fridge portion was dripping and defrosting. Ice was still nice and frozen.

HELP !!! pretty please.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
When you switch it over to gas, do you hear the flame light when standing outside with ear close to camper? If you can't hear it, open access panel and see if you can actually see a flame, or shoot it with an ir thermometer.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
arc,

You could have 2 problems......if you are getting good cooling on AC and not on LP.

* your LP burner might be clogged or dirty and is not producing a nice bright blue flame (it needs to be removed and cleaned) or you could have a problem with the LP delivery system from the gas valve forward to the burner (things like spiders or other insects).

* if you ARE getting a nice strong flame, your spiral baffle might be rusted, damaged or partially corroded. This is a small twisted piece of flat metal that hangs about 6-8" above the LP burner and is responsible for creating required turbulence within the boiler tube to allow your ammonia solution to heat properly. The fridge will NOT WORK PROPERLY on LP without this device in tact!

The only problem is that you have to remove the fridge to access it unless you have a roof vent. You can sometimes get to the spiral baffle (it is suspended in the flue tube by a long piece of wire) by removing the roof vent for the refer and lifting the cover over the flue.

Hope this helps!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
The flame is burning but I think weakly, has a prism inside to look at it and it looks weaker than before. I'd like to service the fridge but can't see how to get to the flue, it's 35 years old and unless I'm missing something (could be) can't slide the fridge out to get to it. Anybody slide one out in an Argosy 76?
Old 06-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Sounds like you need to service the LP side if you have a weak flame. Turn off your LP tanks and remove the LP feed tube that runs between the gas valve and the burner (be sure to use a back-up wrench when you loosen it).

Now remove the burner from the boiler tube (should be held in by one screw on the left side of the casing).

Carefully slide the tube with the burner out of the fridge. I bet you have some build-up in the tube or have a partially blocked LP orifice (that is the tiny hole at the beginning of the supply tube, just upstream of the air inlet).

Using carb cleaner or compressed air ONLY and be sure that you don't put anything other than air or carb cleaner thru the LP orifice! Blow out all of the tubing and burner. Use a wire brush if there is any rust on the burner head.

Replace when clean. You should have a nice strong bright blue flame now !
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
The Grass Capital of the World , Oregon
out of propane?

are you sure your propane tank isn't running low?
SpaceEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:48 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
LP for me tanks alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceEgg View Post
are you sure your propane tank isn't running low?
both tanks are full and have auto switchover, just refilled empty one.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:15 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Flame on

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
When you switch it over to gas, do you hear the flame light when standing outside with ear close to camper? If you can't hear it, open access panel and see if you can actually see a flame, or shoot it with an ir thermometer.
I can see what seems a weaker flame making me think something is blocking the burner but being an older fridge in a trailer I can't see a simple way to get to the flue for cleaning as recommended in the 1976 manual.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
[QUOTE=lewster;865327]

Now remove the burner from the boiler tube (should be held in by one screw on the left side of the casing).

Carefully slide the tube with the burner out of the fridge. I bet you have some build-up in the tube or have a partially blocked LP orifice (that is the tiny hole at the beginning of the supply tube, just upstream of the air inlet).

EHHHH tight fit to work on here.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:35 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Sounds like you need to service the LP side if you have a weak flame. Turn off your LP tanks and remove the LP feed tube that runs between the gas valve and the burner (be sure to use a back-up wrench when you loosen it).

Using carb cleaner or compressed air ONLY and be sure that you don't put anything other than air or carb cleaner thru the LP orifice! Blow out all of the tubing and burner. Use a wire brush if there is any rust on the burner head.

Replace when clean. You should have a nice strong bright blue flame now !
Sorry for jumping in here, but I have a similar issue with the fridge in our '71 Safari. Works great on electric, but not on gas. I cleaned the burner and tubing, but I'm still getting a low flame. At least it stays on, whereas it wouldn't stay lit previous to cleaning. Anyway, I see 3 screws on the various parts of the thermostat assembly. I assume they are there for a reason and are set in a particular manner. Do any of these screws set the air/fuel mixture or any other important aspects of the mixture that would cause the problem we're experiencing?

Thanks for all your assistance!!
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote