Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Two Door Dometic Refrigerators Models, Parts, Data

A visit to the Dometic Website was only marginally helpful in finding info on past models and parts availability.
I was already aware that Dometic is very protective of their dealer network and only sells thru same.
I found a conversion chart (Old to New) that was the only place that older model Numbers showed up. There have been hundred or more models apparently.

My 74 Excella 500 has a RM-100 frostfree 2-door Dometic 2way. Perhaps a replacement.
It was made in Sweeden. Is that the usual origination point for our refers?

I have searched and found only a little info on Dometic Refers and very little on model knowledge.
If mine (RM-100) is not original to my model year AS I need to know when it first showed up in the Service Manuals.

Davidz has a 77 Excella 500 has the same refer RM-100.
Someone had a 74 Argosy MH with a M66.

Seems I have read of M77s in some Airstreams.

Do any of you have further info on when models changed and what the difference in various models was? Or any links to such facts?

As for parts has anyone purchased new crisper tubs or similar interior parts?
Are they prohibitive in price? Seems every RV place I have been to has a heap of old refers out back.

Thanks In Advance
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I've heard there are M80's, but they blow up.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Sources of old Dometic Info..

You may want to try www.gasrefrigeration.net or do some Google searches on RV + Refrigerator + Dometic...

Our 1988 Excella had a refitted Dometic RM 2607 two door unit, with a bad control board that manifested itself into shutting unit down after 12 to 24 hours whether on A/C or gas power..

Dealers and RV Outlets (like Camping World) begin and end discussions with: They can't be repaired, just replace the unit, and we'll do it for $X,XXX.XX which is almost always over $1,000...

We solved our problem quite neatly with new (Dinosaur??) Control board at $110 from shop in Seattle area, and new boards work better and last longer than Dometics, which fail due to heat buildup in "potted" circuits... If tubes of coolant rusted and leaking, that's more serious, and may argue for box replacement, but even still there are several rebuilders who'll ship you new "Cooling Units" for installation into your system, if you're willing to remove unit and do some serious "wrenching.."

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:27 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Gainesville , Florida
Dometic rm 100

My refrigerator in my 79 Excella is dead. Can it be brought back to life with a new cooling unit? As stated above the model number is not there when you look for a new cooling unit replacement. Does any one know of a conversion table to determine a retrofit?
FL Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Here is a replacement chart to determine a retrofit.
http://www.dometicusa.com/media/replacement.png
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Excella
My refrigerator in my 79 Excella is dead. Can it be brought back to life with a new cooling unit? As stated above the model number is not there when you look for a new cooling unit replacement. Does any one know of a conversion table to determine a retrofit?
If its a rm100 you may have a hard time finding a replacment cooling unit. Alot of rebuilders don't mess with the vintage ones.
RV_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Gainesville , Florida
Replace the cooling unit or buy a new replacement frige.

The local Airstream Dealer is willing to replace the cooling unit if I can find a new one. He doesn't really want to mess with a rebuilt one. He said a new one installed would be $1600. To repair and install a new cooling unit would be about $1400. He said then the next thing to go would be the switches and such. I'm totally not interested in learning Refer repair. I want it to work. I live in this trailer full time. What does this forum think?
Old 12-30-2006, 07:00 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Gainesville , Florida
Where is the guy that calls them weasels when we call them ferrets?
Old 12-30-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
that would be me!

i would say for the 200 dollars extra i would go for a completely new fridge!

can you find a unit that fits is the next question...

john
Old 12-31-2006, 10:32 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Excella
The local Airstream Dealer is willing to replace the cooling unit if I can find a new one. He doesn't really want to mess with a rebuilt one. He said a new one installed would be $1600. To repair and install a new cooling unit would be about $1400. He said then the next thing to go would be the switches and such. I'm totally not interested in learning Refer repair. I want it to work. I live in this trailer full time. What does this forum think?
you might have to have your cooling unit rebuilt, or get another fridge
RV_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
FL Excella.
If I was a full times staying in travel trailer camps, state parks, KOA etc I'd just buy an inexpensive generic fridge and plug it in there.
If however you think you need the capability of ZERO electric for extended camping periods you pretty well have to go with a new fridge.
Don't overlook salvage units.
I often find RV crashes in Automobile Wrecking yards.
The good side is that most Dometic fridges last about 30 years.

Stan Wilder
Dallas TX
stanwilder is offline   Reply With Quote