Old 12-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #15
Refurbished 89 Excella

Sugar Valley , Georgia
Brian, I have pretty much the same fridge in my 89. Basically after trying all of the above and more I came across the "cure" by accident. For me it was a "sweet spot" in the Off, Gas, Elec knob............I have a very narrow....VERY.... window in the ELEC area that it actually works.......I found this by moving the knob perhaps .25mm at a time and waiting and feeling for the chimney to get warm......Once I found this spot I took a very sharp pencil and outlined the box in the knob.....Now I just line up the pencil marks and it works............God bless......Dennis

DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta, , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow View Post
Brian, I have pretty much the same fridge in my 89. Basically after trying all of the above and more I came across the "cure" by accident. For me it was a "sweet spot" in the Off, Gas, Elec knob............I have a very narrow....VERY.... window in the ELEC area that it actually works.......I found this by moving the knob perhaps .25mm at a time and waiting and feeling for the chimney to get warm......Once I found this spot I took a very sharp pencil and outlined the box in the knob.....Now I just line up the pencil marks and it works............God bless......Dennis
That could be it also. Thanks. I can see that kind of thing happening. Thanks for posting that.

By the way. Does one have to really turn down the temp dial because after turning on the gas yesterday I keep checking on the temp inside the fridge and it is almost down to 0 degrees. The instructions said to start it out at 4. So, since it's 28 degrees here in metro Atlanta, I'm wondering if the outside temp makes you have to turn the temp dial down to like 2 or something.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
My frig changes with the outside temp, a week ago it was 85 degrees and I had to turn it up to 7. This week it is 60 degrees out and I have it on 3...
Old 12-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #18
Refurbished 89 Excella

Sugar Valley , Georgia
Brian, I am up in Sugar Valley, just north of Calhoun on a mountaintop. Anyway, it really is variable on the outside temp. I believe it is directly related to the coils and the temp that they get. So yes, when it is frigid like today setting it on 1 might be appropriate, while out in Chaco Canyon on a 110 degree day the highest setting will barely make ice...........Good luck and God bless........Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
[/QUOTE=
[BrianD.;925691]Hello,

My refrigerator was working on electricity.

I decided to try and turn it on today using gas. It has come on and it seems like the freezer is starting to get cold.

Will it use up a lot of propane if I continue running on gas? I don't know if it's just a pilot light burning to heat up the ammonia or more than that.
QUOTE]
Yes, gas will be used.
I have had problem with electric starting since last year when we purchased, once it gets started getting cold on gas, I switch it to electric. Please post if you solve the problem. thanks
Old 12-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Brian: If yours is like mine there are two thermostats; one for gas and one for electric. If you put it in the electric mode set it at 5; wait for and hour or so then go to the back. Just above the rectangular shield on the lower right there are pipes that come out the top. Check to see if they are getting warm. If you've had it in the gas mode the pipes will be pretty hot; you should turn it off, let it cool down before putting in electric mode so that you can be sure that it's not still warm from being in the gas mode.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta, , Georgia
Thanks everyone for the posts. The temp inside the fridge on gas mode, even set at '1' is now down to 0 degrees F. So I can't really use it in gas mode either except for the fridge.

I will try to see what I can do some time soon.

I'm finishing up my last week of Fall semester of grad school.

Again, I appreciate everyone's input and hope these ideas can help others with similar problems.

Brian

Tags
argosy, refrigerator