Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Not that I want in the middle of all this, but risk is clearly the issue, not only for us, but for the manufacturer as well. Here is a quote I made in a prior thread, as per my owner's manual (NorCold):

"Operation During Travel: While the refrigerator should be level when the vehicle is stopped, performance during travel is not usually effected."

So, it looks like they endorse the use/operation of the ridge during travel, and clause themselves out of liability with a 'not usually effected' statement.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #22
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
We travel with the gas off . . . and the refrigerator ON!

When the old Dometic cafed, we replaced it with a Nova Kool 12 V refrigerator, which uses the energy efficient Dan Foss compressor.

This replacement costs about as much as the evaporative gas/110V/12v Dometics.

The Nova Kool is designed for marine usage, so it can take the pounding as well as run on a 30 degree "heeled" angle. When running, it draws about 3 amps, max 5.5 amp @ 12V. (Yes, we have solar panels as well as 300 amp hour of batteries - and we've dry camped in 90+ with no problems)

The interior space is about 20% greater than the old Dometic and has a smaller footprint. If the compressor ever fails, it can be replaced without removing the refrigerator.

The T@DA trailers also use a Norcold 12V compressor refrigerator.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Why don't we add a poll to this thread?

Gas on, Refer on, when towing, unless instructed otherwise by the authorities. Always refuel at the outboard pumps with the trailer not under the canopy. That's my operation.

Gas fumes are heaver than air, so wouldn't it take a lot of fumes to get up to the level of the refer burner? Are we being too cautious?

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Diesel tow vehicle, Cellphone ON, Frig ON and for the most part we fill up at the diesel island. Never heard of nor have I witnessed an incident of a fueling station blowing up due to an RV frig being ON while fueling. Our trailer is always away from any pump island while fueling. I cannot think of an instance when the trailer was in close proximity to the pumps when I was fueling. The truck is long. The trailer is longer. Sure, I pull through when finished but someone would have to direct a gas pump nozzle at my frig and make a direct hit to ignite it. The diesel would just make a mess.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:59 PM   #25
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnickels
No switch has to thrown inside unit for the lights to work , correct?
u r welcome.

the outside trailer marker lights will come on when the tow vehicle lights are turned on...

once the trailer/tv are plugged together.

the trailer interior lights will come on individually with their own switches.

the interior lights are powered by the 12 volt battery system.

as long as it has juice (from the converter, shore power or alternator) the lights will glow.

THERE IS a main shut off/on switch for the 12 volt system inside the trailer.

mine is under the sofa but usually this main switch is near the converter.

some dealers (and owners) flip this switch to shut off ALL 12 power drains during extended parking/inactivity...

flipping the main 12v switch OFF extends the time before the coach battery drains.

so IF your interior lights aren't operating, find this main 12volt switch and flip it on.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Some mid thread key points

Less risk with a diesel tow vehicle, a fridge vent baffle is really helpful, short rides may not need to turn on fridge, longer rides go for it, some government regulations may be enforced especially in tunnels, good rule of thumb to turn it off and stay in the outer lanes at fuel stops. And never slide on seat upholstery during dry winter weather.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I believe 2air is referring to the (momentary) battery disconnect switch. On most new Airstream CCDs and Safaris this is to the right of the front door (not sure for you FB owners) as you step into the trailer. It has a red LED on the switch panel.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:13 PM   #28
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
I believe 2air is referring to the (momentary) battery disconnect switch...
yep silverback...

battery disconnect switch, that's it.

couldn't recall the proper name.

i seldom use it, on my unit it is under the sofa, behind the drawer front, and inside the 12v fuse panel.

the safari/international location is much more convenient...

IF you remember to turn it back ON....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:12 PM   #29
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
I believe 2air is referring to the (momentary) battery disconnect switch. On most new Airstream CCDs and Safaris this is to the right of the front door (not sure for you FB owners) as you step into the trailer. It has a red LED on the switch panel.
Experience seems to indicate that this switch also controls the recharging of the batteries. We turned ours off one time and while preparing for the next trip used the lights and all three Fantastic Fans without shore power. When I went to hook up the tongue jack wouldn't work until I connected the umbilical to the truck. Then it worked. Took a little while for me to realize what had happened. After pressing the switch again and charging the batteries, lights and tongue jack worked fine for next trip.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:59 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Battery Disconnect Switch

When mine is in the Store position, the only thing that works is the tongue jack. With the switch in the Store position, if you plug in AC power, everything comes on as if it was in the Use position. Never tested it with just the umbilical connected.

Randy

Old 08-22-2007, 01:12 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin
When mine is in the Store position, the only thing that works is the tongue jack. With the switch in the Store position, if you plug in AC power, everything comes on as if it was in the Use position. Never tested it with just the umbilical connected.
The switch only disconnects the batteries from the trailer interior. If you are pluged into shore power while the switch is in the Store position you will have 12 volts in the trailer because your converter will be running. However this is not a good idea as the converter will not have the battery load on it and the voltage supplied will be abnormally high possiblely shorting the live of you bulbs if on for a period of time.

The reason the tongue jack will still work while the switch is in the stored postion is they are almost always wired directly to the batteries and thus on the battery side of the switch.

As for the umbilical cord I have not tried it. Depending on where that wire is connected having the truck attached to the trailer may or may not give you 12 volts in the trailer. I suspect the umbilical cord wire is connected on the trailer side of the switch in which case having the truck plugged to the trailer you would have 12 volts in the trailer with the switch turned off. Again not a good idea as that wire is not of sufficient size to support any load, but rather just to supply charging current while on the road.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Thanks HowieE. That's not something I usually do (and definitely won't from now on) it's just what I observed.

Randy

Old 09-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 20
Burlington , Ontario
I find many frustrated and not really informed people giving vent to what they believe. I have drive thousand s of miles with the gas on the fridge and never had any problems. In the case of turning light on and off. You might notice the when a powered switch is turned OFF. that is when the spark happens, not when it is turned ON
ve3czn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:06 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Frig ON.

I was an OSHA inspector for several years. Never had to investigate a trailer frig catching a gasoline pump on fire. I thought I had heard every other fool way to kill or injure your self. The easiest way to burn yourself is having greasy hands/gloves/cloth and playing with your portable oxygen cylinder.

I did see a car in Pioche, Nevada drive off with the pump and hose still attached to his car's gas spout. There is a nifty connector than breaks away, shuts it all down. You need to be more concerned with static electricity and poor seals on the pump handle than your frig being the igniting source for an explosion. I suspect that the Fire Code blankets any source for ignition, but the last time a LP Frig ignited anything should have be the LP to drive my system. Not all rules and regulations have been updated to current technology standards and are meant to be a bit "vague" to give an inspector some judgment calls when necessary. I always liked the "grounded light bulb" violations... what??
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Ray....your post makes me feel somewhat better!

I have never felt comfortable towing with the frig running on gas, but that is what we do. My previous TT had a 3-way frig, and that is what we will replace this one with if it ever fails.

My question is.....why doesn't Airstream go with 3-way refrigerators?

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #36
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Its amazing the things that dont result in accidents. Friday evening I was at a stop-n-rob when one of the customers managed to pump what had to be over 2 gallons of gas on to the pavement. One of the clerks was on the way out with some absorbent when the lady (loose use of the term) decided she was going to start the car and drive off despite the large (call it 2x6 foot) puddle of raw gasoline under her car. I couldnt belive it! I was about to yell out and suggest that she wait or at least let us push her car away from the fuel, but one look at her and you could tell she was going to do what she was going to do and the #@%% with the rest of the world. Luckily for all involved, she did not ignite the gas. But it sure raised the hair on my neck.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Rodney,

I hope you stood back when she did.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #38
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi Rodney,

I hope you stood back when she did.
Being a former firefighter, I has a good idea of where I was going to dive, and I was putting space between the natural selection event and myself

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
It is recommended that you turn it off before fueling so that the spark from the ignition (or pilot from older units) won't start a fire at gas stations while fueling. However, my tow vehicle is diesel and diesel is harder to ignite.
This was a quote from an earlier post. You may be diesel, but the guy at the next pump may be gasoline. Or as Rodney just posted, a leak from some nearby source.
I've seen too many things happen that "weren't supposed to" and the negative results when it does happen.
I keep my propane off during travel, there is too much vibration and the chance of a broken gas fitting or cut hose. Why is it so worth the chance? "Well it's never happened before" isn't a good reason IMO.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:26 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Refrigerator ON

When someone reads about an incident concerning a propane/LPG ignitor being the ignition point for a gasoline station explosion, PLEASE get it onto the Forum. Something in this century, of course.

When making OSHA work fatality investigations in the oil patch, it was ALWAYS something preventable. When you are in a situation where someone ELSE is doing something that could kill you and your family on the road as they are practicing unsafe behavior, GET FAR AWAY QUICKLY. Do not try to explain the situation to these people as you most likely will be the person injured and they drive off. Common sense is NOT common. Trust me on that.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote