Old 12-04-2017, 06:50 AM   #183
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We removed the stock Dometic refrigerators on both trailers. They were problematic and interior parts broke easily. We installed the marine Italian Vitrifrigo refrigerators that have a 12Vdc Dan Foss freon based compressor and it's own little inverter to use shore power and create 12Vdc at about 58 watts.

our 2014 31' Classic has nine 100 watt solar panels on the roof feeding a 600 amp-hour lithium battery and the 2015 23D International Serenity has five 100 watt solar panels on the roof feeding a 300 amp-hour lithium battery.

We installed model DP2600 in the Classic and the model DP150i in the 23D.

We also converted both trailers to the Italian made propane stove with oven (Dometic CU434) and installed the Truma "AquaGo comfort" models of instant on water heaters that run on propane only with a little 12Vdc for the control circuitry.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #184
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
IMHO those who push the notion that running the refrigerator on propane while traveling is dangerous have made the subject more complicated than it needs to be.

#JustSayin
Totally agree as some make mountains out of mole hills and some cry wolf..

Old 12-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #185
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Sigh.

We're very happy with our fridge-off system, described above.

What could be simpler than, "To each his own"?

Again, it's not a safety concern for ordinary driving. Our first AS was totaled in a serious accident. Nobody thinks one will ever happen. We didn't. But they do. And with everything else that goes on during a bad accident (like our getting an elderly woman out of her flipped car) that was one less thing to worry about.

Our system, described above, is no more complicated than spending 30 seconds moving a few items in the fridge and shutting off the propane, another 30 seconds. We also use it a lot while boondocking and stationary in the wilder places, to save the batteries, because we can shut off the main switch while we're out on a day-trip adventure. (Yes, we have a generator, also.)

Happy trails, y'all.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #186
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSowder View Post
My most recent experience has led me to believe it is best to travel with propane off. When the trailer rolled over onto it side due the TT left rear tire blowout the hoses broke and propane was spewing out. Site was cordoned off preventing me from retrieving items from the truck that the towing company personnel helped themselves to. Sometime ago I attended a propane safety seminar that advised turning the propane off when underway. Food will stay cold until the next stop.

My propane will be off when traveling from now on.

An Airstream rollover due to a tire blowout? Please share more details. I've had a blowout at 65 mph and would hardly have noticed it except for my TPMS. Current approved propane valves should shut off in event of a hose rupture. During a day of hot summer travel, our fridge struggles to stay cold even while running with propane on. Food safety is a bigger concern than propane risk.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:18 AM   #187
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We're concerned with food safety, too. I completed a BC FoodSafe course, which is enough to scare anyone about leaving food too long in the temperature "danger zone."

We've never had food spoil or even had the ice cubes melt with our freezer pac system.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #188
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What is interesting to me, is that even though the propane leaked in the above mentioned roll over accident, there was no fire. The thing is, I have been saying that LPG is safer in an accident than gasoline because it tends to disperse in the atmosphere while the liquid fuels used to power our vehicles tend to pool under the vehicle where it is a much greater threat to life and limb.

What I am saying is that the threat of propane is a much lesser threat than the threat of the fuels used to power our tow vehicles. I am certain I am right about that...

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #189
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Would agree, greater risk from "gasoline" than propane.

Safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #190
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Traveling while refrigerator is running on propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
Would agree, greater risk from "gasoline" than propane.

Safe travels

And diesel too. Especially with particulate filters in place etc. Since these devises have been mandated, Diesel powered vehicles burn in accidents all the time.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #191
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
And diesel too. Especially with particulate filters in place etc. Since these devises have been mandated, Diesel powered vehicles burn in accidents all the time.
Do not disagree on Diesel vehicles burning, however gasoline is a "bomb" waiting to go off. Propane can be a "bomb" as well, diesel is very low on the scale compared to gasoline.

Safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #192
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
Do not disagree on Diesel vehicles burning, however gasoline is a "bomb" waiting to go off. Propane can be a "bomb" as well, diesel is very low on the scale compared to gasoline.

Safe travels

Not so much when it comes in contact with super hot exhaust parts, and then igniting the rest that is pooling on the ground. Once lit, Diesel is every but as dangerous as gasoline.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #193
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
We're concerned with food safety, too. I completed a BC FoodSafe course, which is enough to scare anyone about leaving food too long in the temperature "danger zone."

We've never had food spoil or even had the ice cubes melt with our freezer pac system.

I also load a few frozen gel packs in the fridge and freezer which mitigate temp gain during long hot tows.

JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote