Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #201
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnniem10 View Post
In the booklet “Newbies guide to Airstreaming” provided with a new airstream it twice mentions to shut off the propane cylinders when traveling and also to turn off the refrigerator.
Hi

Did you read through all 15 pages of prior discussion on this? Probably not, it's pretty boring . Now we get to go through repeating all of everything over again ....

Bottom line - the risk is near zero ( not zero, but close) from the propane. The risk of food spoiling is finite with a "turned off" fridge. The simple answer to eliminate both risks would be to completely empty the fridge whenever you move the trailer. Anybody up for that? It's the *safe* way to do it.

Before you get into this and that about "turn it off is ok" ..... I *have* lost a lot of food in fridges that were off for < 3 hours. To hold temperature for the amount of time the manufacturer thinks is right, the fridge (and freezer) need to be packed full with heavy ( = lots of water in them) items. The outside temperature needs to be on the cool side. I have a lot of "time to toss it all out" data on this ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:06 AM   #202
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnniem10 View Post
In the booklet “Newbies guide to Airstreaming” provided with a new airstream it twice mentions to shut off the propane cylinders when traveling and also to turn off the refrigerator.
This is an ever lasting thread that has been discussed to death. I do understand that as new members come on this is a question they really are interested in. If you read through the past posts you will find a good number of us who do run with the fridge on.

Rich Luhr has published many helpful how to manuals and is certainly a go to person for many things Airstream. I do not believe that he works for Airstream so what you read about this is his opinion. Check with the dealer and see what they say. I will agree that turning it off is "safer" than running with it on. The big question is how much safer? I say it is almost negligible. If you are really into mitigating risk, you should just camp at home. Traffic, animals jumping out in front of you, tires just ready to blow, rock slides in mountain passes, brakes giving out on descent, bad hitches, large semis passing, windy conditions.......

Congratulations on the new trailer. Enjoy using it as it was designed to be used.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:47 AM   #203
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We had lousy cooling experiences and quality control in all three Airstream trailers we have owned with the stock Dometic ammonia based refrigerators.

We converted both current trailers to Vitrifrigo marine refrigerators that have a 12Vdc freon based compressor. Both trailers have solar panels, so operation of the refrigerator while moving is a non-issue and the food stays cold where ever we are.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:51 AM   #204

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Did you read through all 15 pages of prior discussion on this? Probably not, it's pretty boring . Now we get to go through repeating all of everything over again ....

Bottom line - the risk is near zero ( not zero, but close) from the propane. The risk of food spoiling is finite with a "turned off" fridge. The simple answer to eliminate both risks would be to completely empty the fridge whenever you move the trailer. Anybody up for that? It's the *safe* way to do it.

Before you get into this and that about "turn it off is ok" ..... I *have* lost a lot of food in fridges that were off for < 3 hours. To hold temperature for the amount of time the manufacturer thinks is right, the fridge (and freezer) need to be packed full with heavy ( = lots of water in them) items. The outside temperature needs to be on the cool side. I have a lot of "time to toss it all out" data on this ....

Bob
Uncle Bob, I did read through all 15 pages of the prior discussion before posting anything. Your assumption and comment “Now we get to go through repeating all of everything again” was incorrect.
Bonnniem10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:15 AM   #205
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I still see signs at gas stations warning of "No cell phone usage while fueling" even though there's no case of a cell phone igniting fuel in the history of the world.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #206
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I still see signs at gas stations warning of "No cell phone usage while fueling" even though there's no case of a cell phone igniting fuel in the history of the world.
Yea, and I still see evidence that most folks at those stations can't read because their on the phone!
But I digress... do what you feel comfortable doing with your travel situation....I always leave my propane on while traveling...heck, when I had a Class A MH, I even took a shower once while my wife was driving in the desert when we were younger...but I am not concerned about traveling with propane on to power my fridge. Not heard of a real incident from that...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #207
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The risk of ignition may not be the only reason for these signs IMO, which you seem to have assumed.

Imagine a large gas station, with everyone filling up, while yacking on a cell phone . . .

No thanks!

Fuel up.

Leave.

Then yack all you want.

No distracted fueling please. [very fuelish?]

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #208
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
To those of you understandably concerned about food spoilage while driving, have any of you actually tried our freezer pac method??? (Described multiple times above, Bob!)

Our fridge normally is pretty full, made more so by solidly frozen blue gel pacs that we re-freeze when stationary at night. Desert and southern campers might prefer to freeze sturdy water bottles as an emergency water supply.

Look, we don't want to get sick on spoiled food or have to throw it out, either. In 10 years of using our method, with a lot of extensive road trips and tens of thousands of miles, we've never had that happen-- let alone the beer warming up.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #209
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
This is funny, we camped for 13 years in our Sierra box style trailer and can’t even count the miles we drove running our fridge. Never heard about having to turn your fridge off and shut propane off while traveling. In fact, that was one of the benefits the dealer told us was the ability to run your fridge on lp while going down the road.

2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 25FBQ w/Solar | Hensley Arrow
Tow Vehicle - 2004 Ford Excursion Limited PSD 4x4
Haulin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #210
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Traveling while refrigerator is running on propane

Or, you could do the upgrade we did, which generates so much solar power while driving, along with a big battery bank, that we can keep our fridge running on AC power while on the road.

That’s not why we did the upgrade, but it’s a nice side effect.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:34 PM   #211
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
. .
. . . have any of you actually tried our freezer pac method???
. . .
We always keep a few large blue ice packs in the freezer if possible for just this use. Back up blue ice is kept in the iced cooler in the TV van, pre-chilling, in case it is needed later. Redundancy is a good thing.

Having extra cold mass in the AS's freezer and fridge also evens out the cooling cycles, perhaps the primary benefit IMO.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #212
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Mine is an older Dometic Royal with 3way function, all automatic. Runs on electric, gas, or DC/12volt. When driving it automatically switches to DC power off the coach batteries. At some point (like long rest stops), it will switch to gas operation. Once engine is started again, it goes back to DC power.

So far very efficient. I did have to replace the computer board last year as it stopped switching and only stayed on electric. Otherwise no problems.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:32 AM   #213
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
To those of you understandably concerned about food spoilage while driving, have any of you actually tried our freezer pac method??? (Described multiple times above, Bob!)

Our fridge normally is pretty full, made more so by solidly frozen blue gel pacs that we re-freeze when stationary at night. Desert and southern campers might prefer to freeze sturdy water bottles as an emergency water supply.

Look, we don't want to get sick on spoiled food or have to throw it out, either. In 10 years of using our method, with a lot of extensive road trips and tens of thousands of miles, we've never had that happen-- let alone the beer warming up.
Hi

Yes, we have tried the fridge with a normal load of "stuff" in it. It ran for about 2 hours before things started to melt / it got pretty warm ( > 45 degrees). It's not the only fridge I have seen do that.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:21 AM   #214
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
The risk of ignition may not be the only reason for these signs IMO, which you seem to have assumed.
Correct!
Quote:
Imagine a large gas station, with everyone filling up, while yacking on a cell phone . . .
Okay
Quote:
No thanks!
No distracted fueling please. [very fuelish?]
I see what you did there. Distracted fueling? Maybe we should return to having attendants pumping fuel. "Check under the hood, mister?" (I'm showing my age now.)

How about we work on solving real problems first?

I have distain for cell phones and hate being behind some bozo texting while he's allegedly driving. My battery is usually dead anyway.
I'm just pointing out that the danger at gas stations is way overstated. "If I'm struck by lightning while my propane is open, OMG! It could wipe out a small city!"
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #215
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

. . . please forgive me for jus' fuelin' around!

PS -- By the way, do you know how turtles talk to each other?

On their shell phones!

Old 04-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #216
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Ha, ha, ha.....on their "shell phones"! Good one!

Back to the question; with 6 TT's and a Class A MH over past 20 years, I have never had a problem running with the propane "on" running my fridge. Don't know anyone who has...I don't want to pack extra weight of "blue ice" in my refer, where the storage is taken up by plastic ice containers instead of using the capabilities I paid for with my refer. But, that's just me.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 04-23-2018, 11:48 PM   #217
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We do sacrifice on the ice cream.

But save on the propane.

I don't think our freezer pacs add much weight, though.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:34 PM   #218
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
We do sacrifice on the ice cream.

But save on the propane.

I don't think our freezer pacs add much weight, though.
Can't do without ice cream...propane lasts a long time...I keep ice cubes, frozen food, and ice cream in my freezer while traveling with refer running...all works out fine.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #219
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
16 pages. Read them all. Whew.

Add “operating propane fridge in gas station” topic to most passionate threads.

The others being:

“Is my heavy duty truck suspension damaging my Airstream?”

“LT or ST tires?”

and

“What hitch do I need?”
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #220
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
The replacement Norcold installed by the po had very much trouble keeping things cool on hot days until I removed it and installed it properly. Now it does a tremendous job of cooling on hot days, especially when cruising down the highway Nothing like a cold adult beverage after the awning is deployed! Love that propane fridge.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote