Old 01-09-2003, 08:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master
thermistor in Dometic refrigerators

Our Dometic RM2611 refrigerator recently froze everything hard. This happens when the machine gooes into "limp mode", and runs continuously when a fault is detected in either the thermistor or the associated circuitry. (The thermistor is the sensing device clipped to the fins inside the top of the refrigerator, and is used instead of a thermostat. Thermistors are semiconductor devices whose electrical resistance varies with temperature). I needed to isolate the problem to either the thermistor or one of the circuit boards. To test the thermistor, gain access to the circuit board at the rear of the refrigerator (all power off, 12v and 120v, and touch your fingers on the metal body to earth static before touching the circuit board!!), and remove the clip connecting the two wires from the thermistor to the circuit board (left edge of board, second plug down). The two probes from a digital multimeter in the resistance mode can be inserted in the ends of the connector. The thermistor is tested by unclipping the sensor and placing it in a glass of cold water and melting ice, which, after a few minutes, should be at about 32 degrees Fahrenheit. The resistance should be between 7k and 10k Ohms. On mine it was 8k, and when my wife held the thermistor sensor end between her fingers, this reduced to 2.7k Ohms. I deduced that my thermistor was good, and I replaced the circuit board with one from Dinosaur. This cured the problem. I post this as I could find no reference to this with a search, and it may help others faced with isolating a similar fault. Don't touch this job if you're not conversant with electrical safety procedures. Nick

Nick Crowhurst, Excella 25 1988, Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. England in summer, USA in winter.
"The price of freedom is eternal maintenance."
nickcrowhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
2010 23' International
Currently Looking...
Beaverrton , Oregon
thermistor in dometic rerigerators

I'd suggest you snip off the tip of the old thermistor on your Dometic thermistor and replace with one of these Thermistor 2931863035 and 3851059042 Repair kit for Dometic (OEM) - RM2607, RM2611, RM2612, RM2652, RM2662, RM2807, RM2811, RM2812, RM2852, RM2862, RM3607, RM3662, RM3663, RM3807, RM3862, RM3863, RM4872, RM4873, S1521, S1531, S1621, S1631, S1821, S18 . They are cheap, easy to install, work great and last a lot longer than the original. Oh and you can fine adjust the temperature inside the dometic cabin. Also, you won't have to rethread a new lengthy wire to fix your refrigerator.

MrFxIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
2010 23' International
Currently Looking...
Beaverrton , Oregon
thermistor in dometic rerigerators

Uh not sure if my last post made it here but I just wanted to suggest a quick fix for the dometic thermistor using a Articca "snip the tip" kit. I gave a link at thermistor in dometic rerigerators Personally I bought mine from ebay for the same price instead of ordering direct. Basically I just cut off the old thermistor tip and wired on the repair kit and voila I fixed my refrigerator freezing problem. Its really neat because there is a thumb wheel so you can fine adjust the temperature inside the cabin to your personal liking after installation.
MrFxIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1976 27' Overlander
Stuarts Draft , Virginia
Does anyone know if this "snip the tip" kit will work with a Dometic M77?
mountainman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
2006 39' A-Series
Blythe , California
The snip-the-tip product discussed above has changed to:

Dometic Thermistor Repair Kit

Also for the above poster I don't think this works for a M77 because that has a thermostat not a thermistor. However, it works for 98% of the Dometic refrigerator models including the newer versions.
CompAirForum is offline   Reply With Quote