Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

durango , Colorado
The pilot lights on my fridge but that's it.

I have a Norcold fridge from 1960. I finally found the pilot light. It has a red button on the front. When held down the pilot lights and the fridge lights. Once you take your finger off the red button the fridge goes out. No more blue flame. I've tried holding the button for 5 mintutes. Any ideas? Thanks
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Old Fridges

See my recent post on a very similar subject "fixed it x2". Sounds like a bad thermocouple. Could also be a bad safety valve. The consensus is if the fridge is not leaking ammonia it's probably worth fixing. If you need someone else to fix it there's a guy in PA who specializes in rebuilding old fridges. Snyder's RV.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop
I have a Norcold fridge from 1960. I finally found the pilot light. It has a red button on the front. When held down the pilot lights and the fridge lights. Once you take your finger off the red button the fridge goes out. No more blue flame. I've tried holding the button for 5 mintutes. Any ideas? Thanks
JP,

I agree with Marshall. My first inclination would be a bad thermocouple. It could also be dirty or mis-aligned. The T/couple should be located in the pilot flame to allow it to react to the heat of the pilot and have no rust or scale on it. I would remove the burner section and thoroughly clean everything, then re-install it and see if it works.

You can also check the gas valve by applying 12 VDC directly to the contacts. If you hear a click....it's probably working.

Try these and let us know how you make out.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:23 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

durango , Colorado
Thanks for the input...I'll sic my husband on it tomorrow. I hope it's an easy fix, unlike what you've been thru, Marshall. We'll let you know how it turns out.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We just had the control board on our Dometic replaced for essentially the same reason. Our fridge didn't have a thermo-couple - check to see if yours does. Apparently some do and some don't.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote